Warm up:

600 various
2 x 50 single arm fly
2 x 50 scull w/agility paddles
6 x 50 DPS free w/agility paddles
50 EZ

Main sets:

8 x 30 burst + cruise
-- did the first two off the blocks and promptly got yelled at by lifeguard, and so ended my block work
100 EZ

1 x 50 DPS fly
150 EZ

5 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 200 EZ)
1 = fly, 27 flat
2 = fly, 27 flat
3 = backstroke @ 90-95%, trying to work on deeper catch, 29 high
4 = dolphin kick w/board, 28 high
5 = breast, 31

6 x 50 DPS backstroke w/agility paddles @ 1:15
50 EZ

Total: 3300

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made it to Mason today amidst life chaos. Was feeling a bit end-of-the-week tired, but laid down some fast 50s. My fly feels better than last summer. I swam 26 out of 31 days in May and got in 8 long course workouts in the less than 3 weeks since nationals. Only 3 weeks until Zones!

Submit "Friday, May 31" to Digg Submit "Friday, May 31" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, May 31" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, May 31" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

WTH, the lifeguards obviously have no idea
    It is pretty annoying to get told you can't use the starting blocks in a pool that was designed for racing by a lifeguard who wasn't even born back in the day when we were doing racing starts into 3' of water. I don't recall ever having a bottom strike, although one time we showed up for a meet and the start end was so shallow that we all got scared and basically refused to do real starts. The coach was a little miffed, but nobody wanted to lose teeth.
    Yeah, I went off the blocks a bunch of times last week with no comment. It looked like a supervisor nudged the guard to yell at me. Annoying. Definitely not shallow either. I feel like failure to do block work is one of the key things missing from my workouts. I'm a sprinter who never practices starts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    It is pretty annoying to get told you can't use the starting blocks in a pool that was designed for racing by a lifeguard who wasn't even born back in the day when we were doing racing starts into 3' of water. I don't recall ever having a bottom strike, although one time we showed up for a meet and the start end was so shallow that we all got scared and basically refused to do real starts. The coach was a little miffed, but nobody wanted to lose teeth.
    Years ago, our outdoor 50 meter pool here in Wenatchee used to be 2.5 feet at the turn end for lanes 1-4. Lane 5 was kind of a transition toward the 4 feet that was from Lane 6-10. We as 15 & over boys used to do the 50 Free from that end and we had mini starting blocks that were no more than 6" of a raise off the deck. I do recall a little knee banging dolphin/flutter kicks in the dive streamline, but we were all fine. It's more about who's trained and not trained to use the equipment than making a blanket ruling for everyone, but I understand what they're doing. They want to protect that jack@ss who watches you dive into the pool and try to copy you...then breaks his frickin' neck!

Now all 10 lanes are approx. 4 feet deep at that end. Still a bit shallow, but doable for the turns. All 50s are no diving from the deep end which is over 6 feet.