View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

CZ Day 2: Swim Fast & Partay!

Rate this Entry
As expected, I was very excited and blissed out from yesterday, so didn't do that well in the sleep department. Fortunately, I slept in a wee bit because my first event, mixed 200 free relay wasn't until 11:45. But sleep wasn't the problem -- cramps! I woke up with crazy sore calve muscles. Had Mr. Fort give me a quick massage, which practically made me scream. I guess it was just the lactic acid build up from yesterday? Not used to swimming 6 events. That's what Coach Cheryl thought. I obviously need a "masher." lol. Not sure what else could have caused it ... I was eating bananas and drinking gatorade ... was warming down when I could between events (but maybe not enough with the crazy consecutive last 3 events from yesterday) ...

Anyway, that effected the days events, as I cramped on every start and wall. This phenomenon obviously makes my dolphin kick, my major weapon, less effective. I was very happy that I didn't sign up for the 100 IM first thing in the am, as that is a heavy duty lactate event for me with all the switching of strokes. Didn't swim the 100 back, as I had just swum 2 crampy 50s and was hobbling. A bit disappointed, but glad I have my 1:02 split request on file, though I think I might have gone faster. Always another time!

Despite this Day 2 issue, I had a great time at the meet, had a few good swims on Sunday, had a fantastic time watching all the fast swimming, and had fun at the post meet party. My team won the medium team championship for the first time in 5 years, so we were psyched about that.

Events:

35+ mixed 200 free relay, 1:37, 1st place

I went about 85-90%, shaking the cobwebs out. Split a 25.3. Two of my relay mates are swimming at Clovis in 2 weeks, and I wish them the best of luck!

50 fly, 27.06

Had 5 heats of rest. Only got 2 lengths of warm down. Took 9 SDKs off the start and turn. Cramped on both though, so I was kicking through pain and had to take one extra breath the second length. Stud said I visibly accelerated the last 15 yards, as the cramp subsided. Was super happy to see a 27.06 in light of this. This broke my Zone record from last year of 28.4.

25 + medley relay, 1:53, 1st place

Swam the fly leg on this relay. Had a break after my 50 fly, so felt more rested. Split 26.77 with a safe start.

Was a tad bummed I didn't sign up for the 50 free, as it would have been nice to take all 4 50s. But you can't swim everything in one meet!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fort party was a blast. Hope everyone had a good time. I'll put up pictures soon. (Just so y'all know, we decided after John left that Wookiee looks just like Zac Ephron. )
This morning, I'm going to have a warm down swim/hot tub with Stud. I also have a massage booked, which I had anticipated as recovery before the NY meet. But I could still use it. I think my calves need some work before I can go on my post meet run tomorrow. My shoulders/traps also feel a bit like someone took a hammer to them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tech suit thoughts:

B70:

First, don't sit in gum in a B70!! Holy crap, not sure where I sat in it, but it smeared all across my butt (I promised SwimRobin that I would actually confess this in public, lol) -- goopy pinkish stuff. I was kinda freaked out, thinking it had ruined my B70. Fortunately, it came out with some ice cubes, but I was required to make a tech suit change.

I've told Chris this, but FYI guys, Mike Ross was much happier with B70 legs for back and fly than the full body B70. He did recommend it for ALL swimmers, but I remain content with my full body. lol And, WOW, it was fun seeing several of his swims! (He also lectured my on excess eventage, but got that it was my team zone meet.)

On the Jimby front, he is still cogitating on how to spin the B70 science experiment. He wanted full Jimby credit for his swims and I am giving it to him!! Seriously though, in his big 3 events (100 free, 200 free and 500 free), he swam very very well, but the times (all age group PBs) were what (at least I) thought he was well capable of swimming in a fast pool. I'll let him do the time reporting, but it was much less than .5 per 50 in these events. He did swim a very very nice 400 IM as well and dropped a lot of time there.

B70 vs. LZR:

A few people from GMU conducting experiments using borrowed LZRs. I had a borrowed LZR with a recordbreaker back. It had been used for 10-12 swims. I decided to wear a B70 for one of my 50 backs and the LZR for the other to compare. They were, as reported, within .1 of each other. So, for me, I'm not sure there was much difference time wise. But perhaps the LZR would have been slightly faster if it had been brand new or if I had used one with a zipper? I think so ...

I won't wear a recordbreaker back again though. I haven't worn an open recordbreaker back since my Pro pre-Austin. Yuck! I felt like I had water wooshing down my back. Very odd sensation. Might have been because I'm so used to the B70? Or because the LZR is cut very low in the back? I swam 2 relays in the suit and it was worse. In my 100 fly leg of the medley relay, I felt like I had water wooshing down the back and front. And that was a pretty mediocre swim.

What I can say is that I don't think the B70 is any more of a "floatation" suit than the LZR really. The LZR has plenty of noticeable "float" in the bottom half where all the impermeable material is. Frankly, I think having more float in the bottom and less in the top (a la Mike's comments) might be the best for me as well. But, like others, I have major concerns about the fragility and lack of durability of the LZR. I really think it's basically a one meet suit. I saw a couple swimmers with whacking big holes in their LZRs. Of course, Hulk popped a big hole in his brand new B70 and my teammate and Mike Ross had runs in the back of their B70s. At least I only had the gum problem!

Submit "CZ Day 2: Swim Fast & Partay!" to Digg Submit "CZ Day 2: Swim Fast & Partay!" to del.icio.us Submit "CZ Day 2: Swim Fast & Partay!" to StumbleUpon Submit "CZ Day 2: Swim Fast & Partay!" to Google

Updated April 28th, 2009 at 01:33 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

What, Ross's legs was a B70. Excellent job Leslie and excellent party.
    Leslie, thanks for hosting such a wonderful bash at Chez Livinston. Once again, you and Scott (mainly Scott ) went way above the norm. I had a great time!!!!
    very impressed with your swim and breaking ZR.
    Congrats!
    way to go fort,
    you swam faster faster
    smashed your zone records

sorry I missed your partay
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    Leslie, thanks for hosting such a wonderful bash at Chez Livinston. Once again, you and Scott (mainly Scott ) went way above the norm. I had a great time!!!!
    Hahaha. He does do a lot of burger duty at the parties. Thank goodness for all of us or we'd starve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyman
    very impressed with your swim and breaking ZR.
    Congrats!
    Thanks Crazyman! Hope you go crazy in Clovis!
    Once again, congratulations on great swims!
    Enjoy your massage...
    Fort,

You comin to the big apple? SCM or LCM?
    I'm still digging on that zone record in the 50 breast! Closet breatstroker!
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi
    Once again, congratulations on great swims!
    Enjoy your massage...
    Thank you so much, Gigi! And I did ... though now I am completely wiped out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rtodd
    Fort,

You comin to the big apple? SCM or LCM?
    Rob,

My entry form for the SCM meet was lost in the mail and I couldn't get to a fax machine in time. So I'm not swimming. Probably not LCM, as we have a few USS meets here. Keep me posted on any SCM meets though!
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimRobin
    Closet breatstroker!
    hahaha. No one's every called me that before!
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimRobin
    I'm still digging on that zone record in the 50 breast! Closet breatstroker!
    Yes the 200 BR is on the horizon for Leslie!
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Yes the 200 BR is on the horizon for Leslie!
    You're just smarting because I nosed you by a tenth or two in the 50! I think the 200 will not be resuscitated as a master. I'm still utterly traumatized from the 200 IM.
    Sweet weekend and excellent reporting re: suits.

With all of the USMS blogosphere agog about your party, it looks like I picked the wrong Colonies Zones meet to come to, though, between SCY and SCM. After Rutgers in December, I sent my parents on the road back to Virginia and had a crummy meal at some skanky NJ diner.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    Sweet weekend and excellent reporting re: suits.

With all of the USMS blogosphere agog about your party, it looks like I picked the wrong Colonies Zones meet to come to, though, between SCY and SCM. After Rutgers in December, I sent my parents on the road back to Virginia and had a crummy meal at some skanky NJ diner.
    Thanks Patrick. The party looks to become an annual thing, so one year you'll have to pop in and join our revelries! I heard your father was at CZ. Wish I had been on the ball enough to realize it, I would have introduced myself again!

Good luck at Clovis! I'm looking forward to reading about the exploits of you and others.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    You're just smarting because I nosed you by a tenth or two in the 50! I think the 200 will not be resuscitated as a master. I'm still utterly traumatized from the 200 IM.
    Pfft..I wasn't really trying!
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Pfft..I wasn't really trying!
    Nice smack talk! Wasn't it the 200 you loafed though? hehe