View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Non-standard pool length

Rate this Entry
by , June 10th, 2013 at 05:52 PM (648 Views)
So I've been back at Deep Eddy in Austin for the last couple of days, visiting family and touring my middle son Anthony around colleges. Deep Eddy is the spring-fed pool that is 33 and 1/3 yards long... so figuring out laps/distances is always interesting. Basically, 20 lengths is 600 meters (actually, 666 yards... a seemingly diabolical number). Yesterday I just got in 1320 meters before thunder storms forced us out of the water. I needed a rest day anyway.

Today I got in and did the following (counting in meters):

600 Warm-up, fr
4 x 240 IM (no pace clock, but my rest ranged 15-45 seconds)
600 fr
2 x 240 IM
600 fr

3240/70 minutes

I was a little discouraged when I looked at the clock and noticed that nearly an hour had passed and I was still only at about 2640, until I remembered the conversion back to yards put me at almost 3000. Did about two miles total, so I felt better about the effort. The last 60 meters of fly today was a real bugger!

Tomorrow we're off for day trip to visit UT-Dallas, then Tex AM on Wednesday (Anthony's interested in engineering and computer science--doesn't take after his old man... thank goodness!), so I'll probably be swimming at Barton Springs at 5:30 AM the next couple of days... 1/8-mile lengths and 68 degree water!

Submit "Non-standard pool length" to Digg Submit "Non-standard pool length" to del.icio.us Submit "Non-standard pool length" to StumbleUpon Submit "Non-standard pool length" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I'm jealous of you swimming at Barton Springs. No chance to drop in with Longhorn Masters at UT? That's a great group and their coach, Whitney, is AWESOME.

When you're in Dallas, you should try to drop in with the Dallas Area Masters and then see if you can swim at the natatorium at A&M.
    I agree with Patrick about Longhorn aquatics at UT and the Nat at A&M. I swam with Longhorn Aquatics just before Christmas and they are a terrific group. I am biased when it comes to Dallas, since I live just east of Dallas in Rockwall, which has a new 50m pool. If you are around Wednesday morning you are welcome to come by and train with RAM.
    Thanks for the suggestions; I might be able to get to Longhorn aquatics on Friday... I'll check to see when they swim. I'm taking the swim gear up to Dallas, but we'll be pretty pressed for time. I've got my mom in tow and will be stopping in to see some relatives over toward Fort Worth after UT Dallas, so we're headed in the opposite direction from Rockwall, otherwise I might stop in for an evening workout. As it is I'm just hoping to get in some laps on UT Dallas campus after the 2 PM tour. We'll see.