View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Workout 06/12/13: OW (first of year)

Rate this Entry
I arranged to meet up with GregJS for another dip into the Harriman Reservoir over in Wilmington for a longer open water swim to gear up for the upcoming open water season. The weather forecast was not all that spectacular, which made the idea of swimming more appealing in order to get some exposure to less than ideal conditions. Picked up Greg with his kayak and we dropped-in at a different spot than our two swims last year.

The tributary leading into the body of water was indeed roaring from all of the rain as of late. The water was easily eight feet higher than last summer, and the dock was a tad submerged as you can see in picture below. Air temp was ~60, water at 62, with a light drizzle falling from the overcast sky. Due to the conditions, my plan for a 2.5-3 hour swim was changed to "let's swim to the first bend and see how it goes."
http://twitpic.com/cww19d

The water was chilly, and it took a few hundred yards or so to get my head into the water comfortably. We swam for about 15 minutes before the sun poked out, and it would shine for a bit but then hide again for the duration of the swim. The wind also picked up a bit on that original leg of the swim, with whitecaps forming above the 8-12 inch swells. We ended up getting a tad lower in the reservoir than the last swim, circling around the small island before turning back. One lone motor boat out on the water today, and we only caught a short glimpse of it well away from us.

I adjusted my feeds a bit. Took water at 30 min, then electrolyte mix on the top of the hour and maltodextrin feed on the bottom, but both at a lesser concentration and caloric count. Worked out well, and I also tried a powerade fruit packet thingy at 1:45 that settled in my stomach well.

The last 30 minutes was a beast! Mind you, it took us ~15 min to swim down the same distance from the dock, but it took over 30 to get back. The water was rolling and I felt a bit like I was in one of those Endless Pools - pretty epic! Did get to alter my stroke a bit to see how it affected my progress, which was slow. Finally got to the dock and I was able to sample some warm tea that Greg brought along. I think he took the worst of that last stretch as the wind picked up (as the rain did as well) with the chop drenching him pretty well, while I was already wet and protected a bit from the wind.

The track of the swim is here and documents the 3.76 mile (6k) swim completed in a tad over 2 hours. Only odd occurrence was a cramping of my left pinky toe. Another hearty thanks to Greg for braving the weather with me.

Submit "Workout 06/12/13: OW (first of year)" to Digg Submit "Workout 06/12/13: OW (first of year)" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout 06/12/13: OW (first of year)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout 06/12/13: OW (first of year)" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Open Water

Comments

Another really nice time on the reservoir. Yes, a tad chilly heading into the wind, but glad you got to experience some "adverse" conditions (but I hope your 10 mile race won't be too much like that last stretch). You had a great swim, looking smooth, fast, and efficient. As for myself, I'm just proud that I remembered my paddle this time.
    Sounds wonderful! Congrats on finding some tough conditions to train in--the experience will surely come in handy sooner or later!