View RSS Feed

I swim, therefore I am

Thurs, June 13, 2013 - 3K Open Water, Pan American Champs

Rate this Entry
The day started with an early morning 90 minute drive to Siesta Keys Beach, Sarasota arriving at 7:15 am for check-in, number marking, and pre-race meeting. I did a quick 5-min warm up to get used to the salt water, as my last salt water swim was in Waikiki-1993. My goal was to enjoy the swim and keep my stroke smooth all the way.

It was a beach running start in waves according to event and age (as under or over 50). When the men's 3K 50+ wave started, I went in on the side of the pack and let most of the group go as I stopped about mid waist to adjust my goggles. A triangle course, the first leg was against the surf and mild swells, and then a longer second leg, with the return leg parallel to the beach. With only five minutes between each wave the course quickly became crowded over three laps around. But by the middle of the second lap I had passed most the "pink" colored 50+ caps.

I ended up with the time of 47.29, a solid result for the 75-80% effort I made in the 3k, and 5th place is reasonable considering the 55-59 age group was competitive with 40.57 and 42.47 for 1st & 2nd. Results: ​http://goo.gl/YHp5D

Submit "Thurs, June 13, 2013 - 3K Open Water, Pan American Champs" to Digg Submit "Thurs, June 13, 2013 - 3K Open Water, Pan American Champs" to del.icio.us Submit "Thurs, June 13, 2013 - 3K Open Water, Pan American Champs" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thurs, June 13, 2013 - 3K Open Water, Pan American Champs" to Google

Updated June 13th, 2013 at 09:11 PM by fdtotten

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Great job - I saw some pictures on Facebook and it looked like a great day for the swim.
    Awesome!
    Yes, very nice swim Frank. Congratulations.
    Wow! Congratulations! So glad the weather was nice for you too. Was the water temp good? The pool was an awesome 78-79 degrees - perfect for competition (IMO)
    Nice job on the swim!
    Congratulations, Frank!
    Congrats Frank!! We stayed on Siesta Key and wish we would have still been down there to cheer you on. Impressive swim!
    Thanks so much for all the positive comments! I should have mentioned also that it was a great morning to be on the beach at partly sunny, 81 air - 82 water temperature. 1K swimmers were green caps and 3K swimmers were pink. 1K 50+ men were first, then 1K 18-49 men, 1K Women 50+, etc, was the order for heats of swimmers set about five minutes apart. The course was outlined with yellow sight buoys and red turn bouys. There is an upcoming OW swim on the same beach in October, which I am considering.
    Yeah great job; thanks for the race report!