View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

250 miles...

Rate this Entry
by , June 14th, 2013 at 08:59 PM (414 Views)
Today's swim put me over 250 miles for the year, still ahead (barely) of my 550-mile/year pace. The last few days have been pretty crazy as far as schedule goes, so I've just been squeezing the swims in when I can. I missed Tuesday altogether, I could have gotten a very short swim in at 5AM, but opted for a few extra zzzzs to help me make the drive to Dallas, then a two-hour tour of campus, then over to Fort Worth to meet up with my aunt and uncle for a little while, then back to Austin.

Wednesday DOUBLE:

Wednesday found me at Barton Springs at 5:30 AM, after only 4 hours of sleep; still dark (unlike in Wisconsin this time of year at that hour), water still cold, but I warmed up pretty quickly. It was really quite beautiful and quiet (maybe only half a dozen other swimmers); I rolled over for a few strokes on my back after the first 1/4 mile and could see the sky beginning to lighten... shades of dark blue-green interrupted by pink clouds... nice. I even did about 300 in total fly. After about 1/2 mile, I started at the 1/8-mile marker and kept up my fly all the way to the dam... about 200 yards or so, no walls, no turns, so that was a bit of a confidence booster for me, taking the fly out into the open. I paused briefly twice to avoid other swimmers, but other than that I managed to fly consistently the whole length of the spring. After a recovery swim back to the start, I did another half length of fly. I only did a mile total, then had to rush back to pick up my son and head over to College Station. Nice tour and info sessions, starting at 10 AM and ending at 2:30, it was about 3:00 before we left. As we got back into town, I realized I might have time to sneak in a second swim at Deep Eddy. At 6PM I did another 1800 M (600 Warm-up; 5 x 120 IM; 600 cool-down), so I was over 2 miles for the day.

THURSDAY:

Anthony and I hit the cold spring water of Deep Eddy again on our way back in town from Texas State U's tour in San Marcos, before the evening's activities with family. Here's what I did:

3600 M

WU: 600 EZ
MS: 10 x 120 fr :10-:20 RI
2 x 240 IM
1 x 120 IM
10 x 60 fr :10 RI
CD: 600 EZ

FRIDAY:

Today I needed to get in a little more IM work... I was thinking about going over to Longhorn Aquatics for their noon workout, but Anthony had a couple of afternoon appointments on campus, so I opted for a morning swim again at Deep Eddy, but not early enough (as I found out) to join their masters practice--which I'm going to try to make one of these days. There were few enough lap swimmers around 9:30-10:30 AM that I had the lane to myself for about 1200 meters... amazing! Here's what I did:

WU: 600 EZ
MS: 5 x 240 IM on :20-:30 RI
5 x 120 fr on :10-:15 RI
10 x 60 fr on :10 RI
CD: 600 EZ

Another 3600-M day.

Tomorrow I've got to sign up online for the WI state LCM championships (our only LCM meet). I think my line-up will be 400 IM, 200 BK, 50 BK, 100 BK, 1500. The 400 IM is event #1 and 200 BK is event #3, so I'm really just treating these as LCM time trials (I don't have any other LCM times to compare with, so really have no idea how it's going to turn out... just plan to swim hard and set a benchmark). Next week I won't be tapering so much as transitioning into open water training. I'm going to keep the IM work in my routine, though, as drill work and x-training for open water freestyle.

Submit "250 miles..." to Digg Submit "250 miles..." to del.icio.us Submit "250 miles..." to StumbleUpon Submit "250 miles..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Busy busy busy week.