View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 38 - Monday

Rate this Entry
Late on Saturday I rented a brush bandit 10" wood chipper. Yesterday I cleared a brush pile that has been accumulating over the last few years. The machine worked great and was a lot of fun. It's amazing how big a tree it can turn into mulch in less than 10 seconds. I obviously took all the safety precautions and I am pleased to say no injuries. That said I did find out that I am hyper allergic to cedar. I wore a tight fitting t-shirt with short sleeves and shorts. Wherever I have exposed skin I now have red scratches. Luckily I don't seem to have any poison ivy(yet), and the bumps went down over night, but this mornings practice was hard and I was really tired.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup drill on 50

Main set
5x400, 1 & 2 transition swims holding under 1.20 pace, 3-5 descend using paddles and pull bouy on 4.50
10x100 kick with fins on 1.30, holding under 1.15
Warm down
300 easy

Total 4000meters

The 400s were tough and I felt sore from last week and yesterday's activities. I went 5.10s on the first two 400s. I was supposed to descend the next three 400s and despite increasing my effort held 4.44s on all three. The 100s kick I held 1.12-1.14 throughout. My kick has improved recently and this set felt pretty good.

Our meet is only a couple of weeks away and I don't think many of my team mates have signed up. I need to remember to bring some more entry forms to convince a few to participate on wednesday. They don't know how much fun participating is!

Submit "Week 38 - Monday" to Digg Submit "Week 38 - Monday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 38 - Monday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 38 - Monday" to Google

Updated June 17th, 2013 at 09:51 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I agree they don't know how fun it is to compete. I'm so mad I missed practice this morning. I might have to steal your workout and get there early so I can have a longer practice.
    Why do they have to participate? I have more fun going to practice than I do meets. I don't find meets fun anymore.
    I've got to rent a wood chipper sometime!
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    I agree they don't know how fun it is to compete. I'm so mad I missed practice this morning. I might have to steal your workout and get there early so I can have a longer practice.
    There was a low turn out this morning and quite a few of those that did swim got out early. I guess most(normal)people don't like doing all those 400s. Despite being tired, I was in my element.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Why do they have to participate? I have more fun going to practice than I do meets. I don't find meets fun anymore.
    Most of the guys and gals on our team have never tried a meet and are intimated by the prospect of swimming in a meet; they are afraid they are not quick enough. To have fun you don't have to be quick, you just have to be open minded and t,ry something new.

Swimming is both an individual sport and a team sport. In my mind part of being on a team is to share and celebrate things that are fun and you have in common with your team mates. I love practice also, but also love meets. Both are fun in different ways. I love to see my team mates train hard and i love the comradery when we do sets together. I also love watching my team mates at meets set personal records or do an event they have not done before.

At the end of the day everyone is entitled to do what they want. I just would like to share something I believe is a bunch of fun with people I spend a lot of time with and care about.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I've got to rent a wood chipper sometime!
    The bobcat i borrowed from my neighbour a couple weeks ago was really cool. I would love to have a race with a couple of bobcats. That would be awesome. The chipper was fun in a brutal sort of way also.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    There was a low turn out this morning and quite a few of those that did swim got out early. I guess most(normal)people don't like doing all those 400s. Despite being tired, I was in my element.

I am sure. I am so mad that I missed this morning. I fell asleep on the couch last night and never set my alarm. Today has just not been my day.
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    I am sure. I am so mad that I missed this morning. I fell asleep on the couch last night and never set my alarm. Today has just not been my day.
    Hey it's happened to us all at one point.

Sorry to hear you had a rough day.