View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Zones, Day 1

Rate this Entry
I didn't swim yesterday; felt too poorly. I felt somewhat better today, but was still tired with low energy. I think I needed a couple more days for a return to full health. Given that, I'm extremely happy with my times today. But, ouch, they felt rough.

50 free, 28.6

I had a great start (12 SDKs) and felt good for about 35-40 meters and then struggled to the wall with a long glide at the finish. I was expecting a 29, so was very happy to see 28.6. This is .6 faster than last year and only .4 off the WR. Probably due to doing more freestyle with healthier shoulders. But, yikes, I felt done after this.

50 back, 32.41, WR

I had about 50-55 minutes rest after 50 back, but with the way I feel this was not enough. I had another good start, but only felt strong for 25 meters. I had a half body length over Fall at that point, but she cruised by me. I just felt dead. I was pleased to dip under my WR by a few hundredths. But honestly, I feel like I should be a good half second faster. I can't seem to get back to my tech suit PR. I've had life issues before a focus meet 3 long course seasons in a row. Is this a message that I should stick to short course?

I felt sickish in the warm down pool. Mollie said I was very flushed.

Mixed 200 medley relay, 2nd

I swam the backstroke leg. I was exhausted so decided to slow down my turnover and build it. Went 33.1. John, Cheryl and Alex were all very speedy, but we got nipped by VMST -- probably because Chris Stevenson crushed me on the backstroke leg!

----------------------------

I thought I had purchased a ticket for the social, but apparently I had not. This was fine as I went out for fabulous barbecue with my team, which is now full of fast boys who like to compete. We went to Buzz & Ned's and it lived up to its rave reviews.

I'm now back in my room cursing myself for once again forgetting my compression garments. My upper body takes more of a beating in long course.

I'm going to scratch the 50 breast tomorrow. I have the same 50-55 minutes rest before 50 fly. But I want to save whatever energy I have for fly without the evilstroke evilly interfering. 50 fly was my focus event for this meet after all, so I'm going to focus on it. The 100 breast is only 15 minutes after 50 fly. Who thinks I'll make it to the starting blocks?

Considering all I have going on with the move and the girls, I feel lucky to have even gotten in a long course meet. Our summer league team won its first A meet today and Lil Fort had PRs in 50 breast and 50 fly. She dropped three seconds in breast, and I'm wondering if she's becoming a bit of an evilstroker ...

Submit "Zones, Day 1" to Digg Submit "Zones, Day 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Zones, Day 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Zones, Day 1" to Google

Updated June 23rd, 2013 at 10:59 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Congrats on the WR!

If you came to a meet here, you'd only be able to do one event per day with your rest requirements.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Congrats on the WR!

If you came to a meet here, you'd only be able to do one event per day with your rest requirements.
    I know! That's why I try to find a largish meet for tapers. But long course is just unpopular.

I needed more rest than usual today, I think.
    I admire the way you can do "well" even when not feeling good, or tired, or with "rough" swims. Congratulations on the WR! Certainly the 50 FR and 50 BK are excellent times whatever the circumstances (would have easily won Pan Pacs). If there is room for improvement, that is good too, so you can break a WR or PR in another LCM meet. The compression garments would really be useful, as there is significant research evidence for enhanced recovery after racing and/or quality training.
    Leslie, those races looked great. I don't know if the video I got on your 50 backstroke will capture it, but your start and underwater was awesome, awesome, awesome. I didn't realize that your entry time was your previous WR. Way to go!
    Nice job!!! Business as usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Leslie, those races looked great. I don't know if the video I got on your 50 backstroke will capture it, but your start and underwater was awesome, awesome, awesome. I didn't realize that your entry time was your previous WR. Way to go!
    Thanks Patrick! The starts both felt great; it was the finishes that didn't. What you'd expect for feeling sub-par. Sorry I missed you guys at the social. I somehow wasn't on the list of people who purchased tickets. I felt like I should have dinner with my team anyway. So nice to actually have folks from my team at a meet!
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    I admire the way you can do "well" even when not feeling good, or tired, or with "rough" swims. Congratulations on the WR! Certainly the 50 FR and 50 BK are excellent times whatever the circumstances (would have easily won Pan Pacs). If there is room for improvement, that is good too, so you can break a WR or PR in another LCM meet. The compression garments would really be useful, as there is significant research evidence for enhanced recovery after racing and/or quality training.
    I know! I felt like a dunce for forgetting them. Mind clutter.

I'm not sure how much I'll swim in the next month ... So this could be my only LCM meet this year. I did better than expected in Indy. It all evens out, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice job!!! Business as usual.
    Thanks James!
    Leslie,

You had a great meet! Sorry I didn't have a chance to talk to you much other than saying hi.

You certainly DID purchase a ticket to the social! I wish I had known that you didn't think so. Not that it was any great social event, but it sure was convenient to be able to eat right after the meet.

Original list of people who bought tickets: http://www.vaswim.org/meets/2013/ZonesSocial.txt
    Thanks do much for hosting the event, Chris!

You looked good in the 100 fly and 200 back today, reeling in the youngster in the 100 fly.

Someone told me my name wasn't on the list! I confess I didn't check it myself after I heard that bc I had read there was some issue with purchasing tickets.