100 Free Build @ 1:30
2 x 50 Free Fast @ 1:30

--------
200 EZ
(1600/3500)

16 x 50 Flutter Kick w/ board @ 1:15
(800/4300)

6 x 100 Free @ 1:20
came in @ 1:18 on the first one dead tired and threw in the towel...did one more as an easy cool down.
(200/4500)

---------------------------
4500 LC Meters

========================================

In other news:

I'm most likely going to "retire" from competitive training and a majority of my meets as well after my swim in Sandpoint, Idaho on August 3rd. This is for quite a few things: money savings, family time, less overall stress. I'm not going to just go cold turkey away from the pool, but I'll be more of the occasional lap swimmer type who hops in once or twice a week for a bit to "do 100 lengths."
The USA-S "season" is coming to a close here soon anyway, and August is kind of a throwaway month with the team anyway, so I'm going to save that money and boot myself from the team at the end of July. I'll still be swimming our home meet here in mid-July, and the one day of the Champs meet in the Tri-Cities. The Sandpoint Longbridge Swim will be my final hurrah of sorts for my current competitive career.
I've had a lot of fun with swimming, and it will always be a love of my life, but I must tend to other things as well. One day I'll be able to 100% dedicate myself to this sport again, but for the next few years at least, I'll be a "hit and miss" type of guy at the local meets, and maybe not swimming my traditional animal style event lineups either...though the 200 Fly is always a good one. I'm never going to be a true sprinter, but maybe I can find a middle ground somewhere.

As for now, I've got one more month to give it my best, and see what happens in my last couple competitions. Dueling this with work in the summer is just hectic as hell though, but I'm making it work. It will be sad for sure when the day comes, and I'm actually a little teary now writing this, but it will be for the best.
Don't worry folks, I'm not abandoning ship yet...

Submit "Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:30-8:30pm" to Digg Submit "Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:30-8:30pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:30-8:30pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:30-8:30pm" to Google

Comments

I have never been a politically active person, I have never signed a political petition, and only add my name to things I am very passionate about. I would like to start a petition to keep you active in USMS!!! When I joined the forum I only started being active because of people like you James. You have a wonderful personality and your fun loving sense of humor is infectious. I know this is going to sound a little OTT but its true, i had the pleasure to meet you, race with you and chat with you at Nationals, and I can tell you that you have made a big difference in my life. This really is a sad day and if there is anything we can say to make you change your mind I want to know what it is.

With that said, obviously this is a big decision and I suspect one you have been thinking about for a while and i genuinely understand your decision. You have a lot going on in your life and I understand that, but selfishly I want you to stay within the USMS community and be an active and passionate swimmer. I hope circumstances change and you decide to stay active but if not I can say I have a new friend who I respect highly. Wishing you the best my friend.
    There is no doubt that the economics, time, and physical demands of competitive swimming at any age are very challenging, but in particular for working adults with an active family life. I heartily applaud your USMS training and competitive efforts before your USAS period, even more so during the USAS training program, and now I truly understand from my own experiences your difficult choice to pull back for a while.

Not that you need my unsolicited suggestions, I would like to suggest anyway that to sustain your significant investment in swimming fitness as well as maximize your lap swimming sessions that you use your excellent knowledge, experience towards swimming a casual but consistent program of 80-100 lengths three to four times weekly (as best your schedule allows) including a mix of 2-3 HIT and/or 1-2 En1-2 sets.

As Steward mentioned, your presence in the forums of the USMS community is a huge constructive and positive influence. I always look forward to your postings and comments.
    Updated June 27th, 2013 at 09:02 AM by fdtotten
    Well, that sucks. That said, I'm not sure how you've managed all the aspects of your life with the training, so I'm sure this is a well thought out decision and the right one for you. I hope you'll continue training on your own and doing at least a few meets.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    There is no doubt that the economics, time, and physical demands of competitive swimming at any age are very challenging, but in particular for working adults with an active family life.
    This.

James! I love reading your blog and hearing about your exploits. However, having been in your position (working a stressful job with 3 kids), I can completely understand your decision. I could never ever have done even half of what you've done, and my workouts were purely recreational at that stage of my life. Even cutting back to very part time, there was little time for my interests. The demands of my active kids were just too much. As they got older and more independent, I finally had more time to train and compete. The same will be true for you. In the meantime, as you are contemplating, get in the occasional workout and pop into a masters meets just for fun. You don't want to completely abandon something that's been a significant part of your life. And masters is a long career. "Retiring" from a major time commitment isn't a true retirement.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    In the meantime, as you are contemplating, get in the occasional workout and pop into a masters meets just for fun. You don't want to completely abandon something that's been a significant part of your life. And masters is a long career. "Retiring" from a major time commitment isn't a true retirement.
    I'm confident James will take this route. I just can't imagine him being "dry" too much!

Whether you're swimming much or not, please continue to stop by here James. We all enjoy what you bring to the USMS forums and blogs!
    James, I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed reading about your swim adventures, and how much I admire your gung-ho attitude towards training and racing! Thanks for sharing that wonderful part of yourself through your blog. Even if you're backing off the intensity for a bit, I know you'll bring gusto to the swimming that you do manage to fit into your busy life!
    James, what a bummer you don't live closer i'd have a party in the McDonald's play area for you. I certainly agree that having kids, work, and then swimming on top of that is very difficult. Don't make it an "all or none" type of thing. There are NO RULES and no one says you must train such and such and blah blah blah. Swim when you can, do what you feel like doing, and every once in a while swim in a competition just to get off the blocks. There isn't anything that says you have to compare yourself with your animal best. At any one time, there will be a small group doing their very best, but for most masters, it's somewhere far less.
    Thank you very much to everyone for the comments. I will remain a swimmer for sure, as long as I am alive. It just will not be at the 100% stage that I've been at over this past year.
    I've been thinking about this for a while this spring and early summer, and talked briefly with my wife about it, but wanted to "complete" something before toning it back a bit, so I figured I'd "tough it out" through the Long Course season with my age group team, and then drop from the USA-S ranks. Work this summer has been horrendous as well, so I'm really really tired even before I hit the water.
    My wife went through the same dilemma with her soccer practice/games into adulthood, but eventually had to give them up.
    I will continue to be at the masters meets, and I will continue to train, though it will be primarily on my own in the YMCA lap lanes...I'm guessing I'll be lucky to top 3,000 yards on my own, something about swimming solo even I can't manage a lot. I really really loved this last year with Velocity Swimming. I made many friends of the kids, and their parents, and the coaches...earning respect for what I put myself through, and for how much I pushed the kids onward as well.
    I may also start doing some weights/dryland/P90X/Total Gym type all around workouts in lieu of swimming the 5+ times a week. I know I can't just drop off to 100% couch potato right away at least. I'd get fat!!!
    I'll keep blogging all my swimming workouts, in case of folks who like to steal my ideas as well. On my own, I do come up with some very creative sets. My coach John tends to be quite repetitive at times, though I think Kirk's age group coach is like a 1st graders book - a few pages, and you know the workout (and what's coming) within the first 20 minutes.
    At least you'll get that OW swim in

There's a slight chance I'll be out your way in the fall, and I'll be looking for a pool. We'll chat later, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    At least you'll get that OW swim in

There's a slight chance I'll be out your way in the fall, and I'll be looking for a pool. We'll chat later, dude.
    I will make time for that...depending on how close "out my way" really is.