View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:30-8:30pm

Rate this Entry
Warmup:

900 (50 Free/50 V-sit scull/50 Front scull) <-- this took foooooorrrrrrreeevvvveeerrrr
(900/900)

10 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:45 (I worked on breathing both sides and EZish) went 1:25s
(1000/1900)

6 x 200 Kick w/ long fins (50 Core Dolphin Kick/50 SDK on back)
(1200/3100)

200 EZ
(3300)

8 x 150 @ 2:30
Odds IM no free (went 2:20/2:20/2:24/2:27)
Evens Free no IM (went 2:00ish)

200 EZ
(1400/4700)

8 x 50 Flutter Kick w/ board @ 1:15 - made them
(400/5100)

100 EZ and out
------------------------
5200 LC Meters

I told my coach tonight after practice about my "master plan" of stopping swimming with the team at the end of July. He asked "well, when will you return?" It was a serious question. I told him it would be the end of my age group career. He understood the reasons why. He said maybe I'll be back on the team once again soon, as a swim dad. We'll have to see on that one...

Submit "Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:30-8:30pm" to Digg Submit "Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:30-8:30pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:30-8:30pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:30-8:30pm" to Google

Comments

I missed reading your blog yesterday, but totally understand where you're coming from. Like others said, don't call it retirement; just call it a different level of training. I got back into Masters in 2001 and swam Nationals in 2001, 2002 and 2003. I had a lot of fun at each of those and was really motivated to continue on and amp up the training. Then, other parts of my life required more. Though I kept competing in local meets and kept training from time to time, there was a 5 year gap until I returned to Nationals in Austin in 2008. During that 2003 to 2008 period, I generally trained and still competed, but not so much and with little consistency.

By early 2008, things had stabilized in the rest of my life and that meet served as the right motivation and re-jump-start to get me thinking about training harder again. But, even with that increased motivation, I ended up not really getting back seriously training again until that fall. Even with the generally higher level of interest / committment and time I've had the last few years, my training commitment and ability to compete varies with life's other demands.

Throughout all of this, I've maintained some connection to the water and kept swimming at some level. Stay wet. Compete when it can be fun and fit in with your life. As you noted, you'll have time to really commit to this at some later point.
    What about returning as an assistant coach? Your passion and experience would benefit the kids greatly.
    Oh wow, I am sorry to hear about. Just train once a week and do the occasional meet(at least your local meet so you are driving over cliffs and mountains to get to a meet. As someone who took a full 6 months off from the pool(real life issues), it was like starting from scratch. So, don't leave the pool completely. Overall, I don't know how you were able to train so intensely, take care of a household, and working 900 hours a week.
    I have been basically training the way you propose my entire masters career (started at age 44)!!! I've never been able to attend team practices (USS or masters) because my kids have conflicting schedules and Mr. Fort is so often gone. So I do the best I can, and it's a huge reason I'm a sprinter. At least this way you'll get to see your kids grow up. It doesn't seem like such a huge sacrifice to me. Give it 10 years, and you'll be able to obsess about swimming more.
    Updated June 28th, 2013 at 09:41 AM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    At least this way you'll get to see your kids grow up. It doesn't seem like such a huge sacrifice to me. Give it 10 years, and you'll be able to obsess about swimming more.
    James, I'd add onto this that I think one of the secrets to longevity in Masters is periodic ramping up and ramping down of training and competitiveness. Part of the reason I was able to start committing more to swim in 2008/2009 time period was because my older kids were now 12/13 years old instead of 8/9 years old. Once my oldest started to drive, it's gotten even easier; both my wife (running) and I (swimming) have 'found' progressively more time to devote to our own activities as the kids got older. Stay wet and connected and you'll find the time in the future. As for me, I'm planning my peak for when I turn 60 and all of my kids are off the family dole, graduated from college, etc.!
    when I turn 60 and all of my kids are off the family dole
    You either had kids very young or are a hopeless optimist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    My youngest will only have finished two years of college by age 60 ...
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    What about returning as an assistant coach? Your passion and experience would benefit the kids greatly.
    They're all full on the coaching spots right now, and have volunteer coaches who help out as well in absences. I could possibly even do that. Something to ponder. I did coach with an age group team years ago in Oregon, but had to get away from that due to my "normal job".
    This will just be a slowdown period for me in terms of training and competition, but I will remain wet, that is for sure. If I were to just drop something to ZERO I was so passionate about, I would probably go insane if I didn't have a replacement for it. For the near future...someone in the PNA needs to put in a bid for a SCY or LCM Nationals to come to Federal Way again. I'd be there no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Let's see...I'll be 36 in August, my youngest daughter will be 4 in August...
    turning 5 just prior to Kindergarten, should graduate h.s. at 17, turning 18 that summer. So 14 years from now... 36 + 14 = time at age 50 or a bit after...
    But I can probably really ramp up my swimming efforts again much before that...provided I can win the lottery or something too.