View RSS Feed

One Stroke at a Time

What to do about FLOG?

Rate this Entry
by , June 28th, 2013 at 12:51 PM (563 Views)
June 27th
Lunch Bunch
450 (every 4th length non-free)
16 x 50 kick on 50
4 x
(4 x 75 on 1:15 #1 25 stroke/50 free, #2 50 stroke/25 free, #3 75 stroke, #4 75 free odd rounds breast and even rounds back
then 100 IM on 1:30
then 100 free on 1:30)
50 easy
3300 yards

Thanks for the birthday greetings.
I was happy with this swim. Again, I was pleased to make all the kick set. I was a little tired on the main set since I had just really worked my legs.

I have been trying to decide what to do about my FLOG and the goal as I like the idea of having a goal but a distance goal is not reasonable for me at this time. Three years ago, I set a goal of 480 miles (in my mind the goal was 40 miles a month as I wanted to become more consistent in my training) and I did at least 40 miles every month except 1. The last two years, I have had a goal of 1,000,000 yards. This was my same goal for this year. I was right on pace (I could skip 1-2 days before the yellow exclamation point came up) when I got sick. This morning I was about 50 miles behind so I removed the goal but have been thinking a little about what I should aim for. I think that a reasonable thing to shoot for would be 3 swims a week.

Today, I start my fourth cycle. I am actually typing this in the infusion center so it will be a few days before I can swim again-- Hopefully, I 'll be back at it next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Submit "What to do about FLOG?" to Digg Submit "What to do about FLOG?" to del.icio.us Submit "What to do about FLOG?" to StumbleUpon Submit "What to do about FLOG?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

We all seem to place a lot of emphasis on total "yardage" as opposed to quality workouts. I tend to think if you did a workout consisting of 1000 total warm up, then 3x400 IM on 12:00 all out, then 300 warm down (2500) it would be much harder than a typical 5000y workout that contained lots of drills, social kicking, recovery sets, etc. all around a single main set that is maybe 1200 total.

Anyway, I like your idea of counting workouts instead of total volume for the year. I think you should basically give yourself a pat on the back after completing a workout, regardless of how far you swam in that particular workout.

Jeff
    Good luck on the 4th cycle. I hope all goes well and you are back in the pool soon.
    Jeff,
    I totally agree with you. Having been a distance stroke person and an open water swimmer, it is a very different mindset. Right now I am just trying to enjoy myself as best I can. At the same time, I do find that I need a little motivation to keep going (particularly as the temps/water temps rise).