View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

LCM in MN...

Rate this Entry
So I had a double treat today... visited the West St. Paul YMCA. Not only do they have an outdoor pool, but it's long course. So few opportunities for outdoor long course down in my neck of the woods!

I got there about 5:15, this is what it looked like as I was drying off about 7:30 AM:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo07050636.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	7706

Air temp was in the upper 60s, so the water temp had to be upper 70s. Felt great, all you had to do was stand up to cool off.

I did 3000 M/65-70 mins:

WU (1200):
400 EZ (3 x 100 fr, 100 bk)

4 x 100 fr on 2:00 (1:45ish)

8 x 50 fr on :5-:10 rests

MS (1400):

5 x 200 IM on 5:00 (4:10-4:20)

400 fr on 8:00 (7:40)

CD (400):

4 x 100 fr on 2:15

My body is just not ready for LCM yet... the fly on the 200 IMs was awful toward the end. And I really should have done a short recovery swim yesterday... I felt very stiff and sore from Wednesday's workout and yesterdays lawn work plus travel. It was difficult finding a rhythm today.

It was really nice to be swimming outside for the first time since getting back from TX... I feel like everyday should be an outdoor day in the summer!

Submit "LCM in MN..." to Digg Submit "LCM in MN..." to del.icio.us Submit "LCM in MN..." to StumbleUpon Submit "LCM in MN..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I am getting really jealous of all the folks in the north who have outdoor pools to swim in during the summer. We could go year round here if there were a heated pool but we don't have one. Sad.
    The pool looks quite inviting. I imagine you are getting nice long light days so an evening swim would still have some sun ... No swimming in the dark necessary, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    The pool looks quite inviting.
    It does, but I don't think I've ever seen a six lane long course pool before.
    You are a brave swimmer to do a set of 5x200 IMs in first LCM season training workout! To fully experience all the compelling dynamics of swimming outdoors return to the West St. Paul YMCA - LCM pool (as your schedule permits) during a midday lap swim on a bright sunny day and do set of 5x200 Backstroke.

What a classic photo of a seasonal L shape outdoor pool with diving well. From my summer league coaching experiences with these kinds of pools, I certainly applaud those far end fence to fence backstroke flags stretching over the diving well and 6 lane LCM pool. BTW - if those yellow TYR fins are yours, what is your experience with them?
    Thanks for the comments, guys, here are my answers to your queries:

Yeah, Patrick, it has been light really late and really early, so swimming at either 5AM or 8PM is not a dark experience. In fact, as I read back over my post I realize that it IS a lot lighter early, because I actually took the photo at 6:30 AM and not 7:30 as I posted.

I was surprised to see a YMCA up here with an outdoor pool at all, much less long course. And yes, those backstroke flags were awesome. This is technically my second LCM "workout" of the season, since my first was the WI state LCM meet (with 400 IM and 200 back in the first 3 events, that was much more painful!).

Frank, those aren't my fins; the woman in the lane next to me was using them. I've been using zoomers when I use fins at all, but have been meaning to get a pair of longer fins to work on ankle flexion among other things.