View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Twin Cities wrap up; still figuring out how to pace 200s

Rate this Entry
Saturday evening I managed to get back to the West St. Paul YMCA and do another outdoor LCM workout. Man, was I sore from Friday morning's 3000 LCM! I felt creaky and slow the entire time Saturday... only managed 2000. Of course, we had spent most of the day walking around downtown Minneapolis: sculpture garden, Loring Park, Nicollet Mall, all the way down to the Minneapolis Institute of Art. But that's no excuse, it doesn't explain why my shoulders and arms felt like they were coming undone during an easy 2000. I felt like this guy...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doryphoros.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	7714

I.e., as stiff as stone, and stuff cracking/falling off! BTW, this is the Doryphoros (Greek for "Spearholder")... one of only four Roman marble copies of an original bronze by the classical Greek sculptor Polykleitos (c. 440 BC). The original bronze has been lost since antiquity and the Roman copies (from 1st-2nd centuries BC) are all that we have left of Polykleitos' masterpiece. The Minneapolis Institute of Art is the only museum in this hemisphere with a copy dating from antiquity. The three other copies are in places like the Uffizi gallery in Florence or the Vatican collection; there is a copy in Greece as well. Those copies, of course, have their own imperfections and have weathered the centuries differently. One of the things I find fascinating about municipal museums around our country is that they each have their surprising little (or not so little) gems... those unique works of art that form part of our common human heritage, but which you really can't find anywhere else except Minneapolis, or Milwaukee, or Chicago, or St. Louis, or New Orleans... to name just a few of the cities whose museums I've visited in recent years.

I suspect my soreness and stiffness on Saturday evening's swim had more to do with the 5 x 200 IM set I did LCM on Friday morning than with the Satuday's adventures in Minneapolis art collections.

Friday after the swim and blog post, I practically gave myself a crick in my neck... craning to look at the ceilings and fabulous decorative elements in the Minnesota Capitol building and St. Paul's Cathedral. Minnehaha Falls and Mall of America rounded out our Twin Cities mini-vacation. Made some great memories with the family... they will, among other things, never forgive me for making them spend so much time in art museums! But, a Mall with an amusement park inside?! Talk about overstimulation... that was their revenge! Here's the gang (excluding yours truly--I took the photo) on the roof of the Capitol building looking out toward the Cathedral in St. Paul on Friday afternoon:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo07051132.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	7715

Today I was back at Kenosha Y. I wanted to do a repeat of last week's workout, focusing 200 goal pace. Last week I did the equivalent of 8 broken 200s, 4 back, 4 free. Today I wanted to work in some fly as well, so I opted for the following:

WU (1000):
4 x 100 on 1:40 (fr, pull, pull, fr), :20 r,
4 x 100 IM on 2:00 (1:45, 1:40, 1:41, 1:41)
4 x 50 fr on 1:00 (:38-:40)
Masters minute

MS (2000):
-2 x 200 fly on 5:00
--swum as 4 x 50 on 1:00 in goal pace for 200 fly (:44, :48, :49, :50, then :47, :49, :50, :53)*
-200 recovery swim
-3 x 200 back on 4:30
--swum as 4 x 50 on :12r, :10r, :08r in 200 goal pace (these ended up coming in closer to my current PR pace [:48-:49] than my goal pace [:44-:45]).
-200 recovery swim
-3 x 200 free on 4:00
--swum as 4 x 50 on :12r, :10r, :08r in 200 goal pace (:38)

MS2 (1000)**
600 recovery (200 pull, 200 free, 200 mixed back pull, free)
400 IM relaxed but hard (6:57)

CD:
200 EZ swim

Total: 4200 SCY/ ?? (90 mins?)

Notes:
* I have no idea how to pace a 200... until recently my version of pacing this distance was "swim as fast as you can until you die." I was purposely holding back on the first 50 and it would still come in 4-6 secs faster than the goal pace. So If I want to swim a 3:20 200 fly, for example, I should be swimming :50/50... as it turns out I swam a lot faster than that on most of my 50s given the 1:00 interval. The challenge will be to decrease that interval to :12, then :10, then :08 rest after each 50 and maintain that pace. My lungs were exploding during this set of fly! Which left me wondering if that goal of :50/50 pace for the 200 fly is a reasonable goal... typically I swim the first 50 of a 200 in around :50 and struggle to maintain a 1:00/50 pace after that when I'm swimming it continuously. And the fly really tired me out for the back and free sets... those times were much slower than last week. Back was tough, especially, I was way off my goal pace, whereas last week I was pretty close to it. The free 50s started out fast (:36-:38), but quickly fell off the goal pace... bringing me in closer to a 2:40 pace than a 2:32.
**The 600 "recovery" was supposed to be my cool-down, but my training partner goaded me into doing a 400 IM... Scotty got there right as I was getting ready to start the 200-free pace work and so he swam those with me as his warm-up. I really shouldn't have done the 4IM, but he didn't have to twist my arm too hard to get me to do it... love the challenge. I brought my first 50 fly in around :47 and the 100 split, as relaxed as I could manage, was 1:42. I swam a lot more relaxed on the back than I normally would, but pushed the breast and free... 6:57 from push is a practice PR for me. Don't know what got into me!

Submit "Twin Cities wrap up; still figuring out how to pace 200s" to Digg Submit "Twin Cities wrap up; still figuring out how to pace 200s" to del.icio.us Submit "Twin Cities wrap up; still figuring out how to pace 200s" to StumbleUpon Submit "Twin Cities wrap up; still figuring out how to pace 200s" to Google

Updated August 5th, 2013 at 11:06 PM by mcnair

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments