View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Still dead, Wed., April 29

Rate this Entry
Wow, I am still absolutely dead from the meet. Not recovering quickly at all. Am now glad I'm not going to the NY meet this weekend, as traveling sounds tiring ... Looking forward to a weekend with the family & watching my kids' sporting events!

Was heading to the gym, but cancelled that plan. Just did RC and some stretching today. Taking Bobinator's advice and listening to the body!

I am weary of all the tech suit haters. I believe that the suits make everyone faster, and that I have benefitted from my B70. Especially in my first set of unrested and tapered times. However, I have been wearing the B70 for a long now; I was one of the first masters to get it -- I followed Ande's recommendation immediately and spoke to Dean in Europe to discuss getting one. (This is consistent with my penchant for trying new things. No reason not to be adventurous.) I now have so many times in it, that I'm inclined to think I've seen most of the benefits from the suit and that my subsequent time drops are at least somewhat due to other factors. Even under Jimby's prior (and flawed! :P) analysis, I've dropped time since I last tapered in the B70 in February. This may be wishful thinking on my part, and some say it is, but I continue to believe that weights have helped me. How many times do you have to wear a suit before every single improvement ceases to attributed to it?! Right now, I feel like I'm comparing "apples to apples" since I always swim in a B70.

My current B70 (#2) now has 18 races in it, plus all the warm downs. I also warmed up in it on Saturday of Zones, as I didn't have time to struggle into it before my first race. BTW, I disliked warming up in it and will try to avoid doing it again.

Submit "Still dead, Wed., April 29" to Digg Submit "Still dead, Wed., April 29" to del.icio.us Submit "Still dead, Wed., April 29" to StumbleUpon Submit "Still dead, Wed., April 29" to Google

Updated April 29th, 2009 at 04:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

It's you not the suit. The suit is only probably worth 1 significant drop. unless it teaches you a new stroke mechanic that you are developing...possible, but unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    It's you not the suit. The suit is only probably worth 1 significant drop. unless it teaches you a new stroke mechanic that you are developing...possible, but unlikely.
    No new stroke mechanics. In fact, although my times dropped initially, I feel like it hurt my turns and SDKs for awhile with popping up too soon etc. For SDKs, nose clips are the PEDs!
    Am now glad I'm not going to the NY meet this weekend, as traveling sounds tiring
    The pool facility also happens to be a Rec-center located in the heart of swine flu country.
    Am now glad I'm not going to the NY meet this weekend, as traveling sounds tiring
    The pool facility also happens to be a Rec-center... located in the heart of the lovely swine flu outbreak.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    The pool facility also happens to be a Rec-center... located in the heart of the lovely swine flu outbreak.
    Really? OMG, makes me even more glad I'm not going!
    Yes really...Thus the double post!

Chlorine may ward off germs...but you never know.
    Not enough Pinot Noir Sunday evening to speed your recovery I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Not enough Pinot Noir Sunday evening to speed your recovery I think.
    Chardonnay obviously does not have the same recuperative effects as the Pinot ... next time I'll know better ...
    I think you've dropped time, and will continue to drop time regardless of what you wear. I think you blogged about borrowing your daughter's suit for a meet a while back, and still came close to a PB?

The tech suits aren't for me, but I don't mind others wearing them. Personally, I'd rather blow the money on a trip somewhere fun. But then again, I'm nowhere near any records, and haven't even done a meet for years anyway.

Hope you start to show signs of recovery soon. I remember when I did a ~2 week taper for our nationals, I swam the week after, but it took a good 2-3 weeks to be back where I was.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I think you've dropped time, and will continue to drop time regardless of what you wear. I think you blogged about borrowing your daughter's suit for a meet a while back, and still came close to a PB?

The tech suits aren't for me, but I don't mind others wearing them. Personally, I'd rather blow the money on a trip somewhere fun. But then again, I'm nowhere near any records, and haven't even done a meet for years anyway.

Hope you start to show signs of recovery soon. I remember when I did a ~2 week taper for our nationals, I swam the week after, but it took a good 2-3 weeks to be back where I was.
    Thanks Tim. I'm still pretty plastered. But my littlest one has been waking me up at night. I think you're right. It's going to take a few weeks to get back to where I was. Not something I relish. Just another reason why tapering sucks.

I did wear my daughter's poly tank suit for the 200 IM recently. It was a decent time for me. I think I said I would have been 2 seconds faster with a B70 most likely.