View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 41 - Saturday

Rate this Entry
I woke up feeling good today. My coach was at an age group meet so we had a stand in coach. The workout was not that long but was really tough.

400 free with snorkel
3x(200 free on 2.40, 2x50 catchup on 45)
16x50 kick on 50
3x(100 fast on 3mins, 50 easy on 1min, 75 fast on 2min, 50 easy on 1min, 50 fast on 1 min, 25 easy on 1min, 25 fast on 1min)
300 easy

Total 3600 yards

I found the kick set hard today but I pushed through it and held 40s. On the main set of fast/easy I went, 54,40,25,12 on round1, 54,40,26,12 on round 2 and 55,40,26,12 on the final round. I did not feel great on this set and had trouble with nearly every turn. I seemed to either be way too far from he wall or to close. The times were fine, but I definately made hard work of these swims with my turns. Yet another thing to work on I guess.

Submit "Week 41 - Saturday" to Digg Submit "Week 41 - Saturday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 41 - Saturday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 41 - Saturday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I felt exactly the same way today. On the last round I hurt and didn't feel fast but surprised myself with a 1:08 on the last one. Can't wait for zones! I know you will do great!
    You swam great today. It was great having three of us swimming the same set. Considering Chris did not swim much this week he did great too. It looked like you held 1.08-1.09 on all three which was awesome. We need to sit with Tom sometime after zones and work on a program. I think it would help us all to have some meets over the next year we target as part of the program. You will do great this next weekend.
    I have noticed that transitioning between SCY and LCM can sometimes have an impact on timing the walls for the turns, although one would think there should not be any difference. More recently my focus on turns is a secure strong push off to obtain the greatest possible momentum, so I take care not to rush into it but take it in more smoothly and gradually. My opinion is whatever little snippet of time is lost on a moderately paced, but well timed flip is more than offset with a great push-off.

Stewart, your 100-75-50-25 fast swims for rounds 1-3 are as just excellent at this time and very consistent with your 200 FR swim from Indy Nationals. I applaud you for hanging in there through thick and thin so far this summer!
    That's a great point I never thought about. Also the lines on the pool are different between lcm and scy. For lcm the lines are solid where as the lines are broken lines for scy. I bet if I look closely the cross at the ends for both are in similar positions but my turning point is slightly different. If this is it it's definately a subconscious thing on my part but the markers are definately different. I will take your advice; it makes complete sense.

I am in a little bit of a funk right now without a meet to train towards, so this type of set was difficult for me. I never really thought of myself as goal oriented in my private life but the more I swim the more I want goals to base my daily activities around. Despite swimming a few meets I have not connected them with anything in my daily training activities. I will be rectifying this ASAP because I don't like feeling like this.

Beyond just this post i wanted to thank you for the encouragement and I really appreciate all your advice. It always amazes me how some things that seem obvious after people say them were not obvious at all. Your observation about the turns is a great case in point. Thanks again Frank.
    Updated July 14th, 2013 at 08:31 AM by StewartACarroll
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    You swam great today. It was great having three of us swimming the same set. Considering Chris did not swim much this week he did great too. It looked like you held 1.08-1.09 on all three which was awesome. We need to sit with Tom sometime after zones and work on a program. I think it would help us all to have some meets over the next year we target as part of the program. You will do great this next weekend.

I really enjoyed the three of us on the same set, swimming next to chris really pushed me. I was looking at the calendar and it doesn't look like there are any swim meets in our area. Come January I will have a strict schedule and could possibly have clinicals on Saturdays so swim meets may be hard.