Starlight Invitational (USAS) Meet Wrap-up - LCMeters

Rate this Entry
Friday night:

400 IM 5:29.75
32.8/36.8
45/43.5
48/49
37/34
I felt good overall in this race. I did absolutely ZERO warmup prior to this as I missed the general warmup due to work, and it was way too cold and windy for me to even think about getting in the deep tank to get wet prior to the race, so I did it cold turkey and was happy with it. 10 seconds faster than a month ago when I was sick, and about 4 seconds away from last year I think.

100 Free 1:02.67
I felt good on the first 50, breathing to my right side, and was hanging with the guy to my breathing side. After the turn I came off the wall, took a breath to the other direction, and could only see whitewater all the way across the lanes. Nothing like being seeded with a time from when I was 24 years old or so. (57.mid) I was still happy with the swim. My legs were a bit tired at the last 20 or so meters.

Saturday:

My day off from work...I slept in till almost 8:00am before my eyes first popped open. Amazing!!

Started off with a coaches relay, where I was the flyer in a 200 Medley relay. It was a lot of fun. Felt a lot more like a masters meet than anything else. The kids and parents from all teams all around the pool were cheering loud. It was almost deafening...at an OUTDOOR facility!! I checked my split from watching the video and was a 29.6 LCM 50 Fly. Not too bad.

The Relay:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

I then went home for about 3 hours, since I didn't have to race again till after 6:00pm.

400 Free - 4:50.24
32.7 / 36.3
37.1 / 36.8
37.0 / 37.0
37.2 / 35.7
Not too bad of a race. I hung in there well, and wished I could've flipped and kept going for my 800 race...

100 Fly - 1:08.52
31.4/ 37.1
Felt great going out...then I broke down on the 2nd 50. Work work work and lots of swimming makes you tired.

800 Free - 10:02.22
1:09.5 / 1:16.5
1:17.5 / 1:17.2
1:16.7 / 1:16.5
1:15.2 / 1:12.9
I had to pace myself and not let myself run with the big guys in the heat. I knew I wasn't capable of staying with them. After a couple hundred, I set my eyes on a kid two lanes over who was slightly ahead of me. He was watching me as well I found out after the race. I pulled up next to him within the 3rd and 4th 100s. On the 5th 100, I decided I was going to win this "race" with the boy, and dropped the hammer here and kept the gas pedal down. Yeah, it hurt, but I managed to keep going. I really had to go on the last 200 though to keep ahead of him. I managed to do it though.
Finished this event just before 10:00pm...and off to bed later

Sunday:

4:25am - woke up for work
5:00am - work work work, lots of cherries, and a few mechanical breakdowns. Little bit of chain grease, and a bit of cold 34 degree water drenching me at times as well.
3:30pm - outta there...off to the meet.
4:30pmish - 50 Free
5:00pmish - 200 Fly
5:04pmish - 1500 Free
5:30pm, chowing on a $1.00 cheeseburger "last call" blowout special from the grill at the meet. Can't pass that up!

50 Free - 28.72
Whatever...my #1 voted worst event ever...even worse than the 200 LCM Back!
Only did 4 breaths, which was tough.

200 Fly - 2:35.36
32.7 / 38.9
41.9 / 42.6
I was feeling a bit iffy prior to this race...still feeling the effects of work all day, plus the 50 Free a half hour earlier. I tried to conserve a bit of energy, as much as you can in a 200 Fly.
I had about a minute to huff and puff while waiting for a couple stragglers in my heat to finish up, plus the calling up of the next heat: my 1500 heat

I moved over 1 lane, and just did an in-water start for the 1500. Bad things could've happened had I tried to jump out of the pool and climb up on the blocks.
1500 Free - 19:52.xx
36.5 / 39.8
40.5 / 40.5
40.2 / 40.3
40.0 / 39.8
40.4 / 40.6
-----------
40.8 / 40.3
40.7 / 40.5
40.6 / 40.6
40.4 / 39.9
39.7 / 39.7
-----------
40.0 / 39.6
39.8 / 39.5
39.7 / 39.6
39.8 / 39.5
39.7 / 37.2

I managed to use the first 400-500 as a cooldown/warmup. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th 50s of the race felt the worst. After that, all the bad things started going away. I was a bit behind in the race, and had some catching up to do. One kid was a couple lanes over and about 3 bodylengths ahead of me. I worked for about 6-700 to finally catch and pass him, then I set my sights on the boy next to me. He was going out of the flags as I was coming into the flags at the turns. I figured I'd have a shot to catch him, so powered my kick up a bit and pulled a little harder. This was with about 600 to go or so. I reeled him in over the next 300 meters or so, and with 5 lengths to go, I decided it was now or never to try to catch him. I pulled even with him and passed him going into the 1400 turn, but knew it wasn't over yet. He was young and gave chase. The final 100 hurt, especially the final 50, but I wasn't going to get beat either!!

That deadly double was probably one of the worst I've ever done...and probably wouldn't wish it on anyone...except for the coach of the Animal Lane workouts...he'd probably like it.

Submit "Starlight Invitational (USAS) Meet Wrap-up - LCMeters" to Digg Submit "Starlight Invitational (USAS) Meet Wrap-up - LCMeters" to del.icio.us Submit "Starlight Invitational (USAS) Meet Wrap-up - LCMeters" to StumbleUpon Submit "Starlight Invitational (USAS) Meet Wrap-up - LCMeters" to Google

Comments

wow, that's one crazy meet! especially going right from a 200 fly to a 1500 free. I guess there's no fudging of seed times...

that coaches' relay sounds like fun though!
    Even if the coach of the Animal Lane workouts was taking his own medicine and doing the workouts, he wouldn't like that deadly double. I still shudder when I remember some of the college dual meets when I did the 1000-200 fly-500 triple; that was tough then when I was in shape and had rest between events. I can't imagine doing the 1500 after a 200 fly. On the bright side, the reverse would've been even worse.

Was the medley relay all coaches and parents? It looks like fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    wow, that's one crazy meet! especially going right from a 200 fly to a 1500 free. I guess there's no fudging of seed times...

that coaches' relay sounds like fun though!
    Yeah, it was a bit crazy for sure, but fun at the same time! I love racing, and these kids give me just that. If I hadn't have been working (yeah right), I would've signed up for the maximum events, which basically would've been just about everything possible. USAS kind of makes you seed with your fastest times in the SWIMS database, though the coach can edit these times. I told him not to worry about it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Even if the coach of the Animal Lane workouts was taking his own medicine and doing the workouts, he wouldn't like that deadly double. I still shudder when I remember some of the college dual meets when I did the 1000-200 fly-500 triple; that was tough then when I was in shape and had rest between events. I can't imagine doing the 1500 after a 200 fly. On the bright side, the reverse would've been even worse.

Was the medley relay all coaches and parents? It looks like fun.
    That is for sure deadly, and I don't know why I ever signed up for both of them. I guess I just think I'm tougher than I really am. On FB, my friend Brian had the same comment about the 200 Fly after a 1500 being worse.

If you ever get the chance to sign up for something like this...DON'T!!
    I am going to stop complaining about feeling bad after meets because this puts my feeling bad into perspective. You are a beast!!!
    What an amazing weekend of swim competition and work! You more than met the challenge with your own unique tenacity and hard-earned endurance USAS club training. Doing the 200 Fly/1500 Free deadly double is amazing, but doing them after a demanding day of work...??!! When reading about your 1500 swim, I always admire how you will find ways to "race" regardless of circumstances. Great 1500 swim, terrific splits, and fantastic race. Super effort all the way in this LCM meet!
    Updated July 15th, 2013 at 09:01 AM by fdtotten
    deleted double post
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I am going to stop complaining about feeling bad after meets because this puts my feeling bad into perspective. You are a beast!!!
    Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    What an amazing weekend of swim competition and work! You more than met the challenge with your own unique tenacity and hard-earned endurance USAS club training. Doing the 200 Fly/1500 Free deadly double is amazing, but doing them after a demanding day of work...??!! When reading about your 1500 swim, I always admire how you will find ways to "race" regardless of circumstances. Great 1500 swim, terrific splits, and fantastic race. Super effort all the way in this LCM meet!
    Thanks a lot!! The announcer made sure to recognize my efforts after the finish of my 1500 heat as well, and I waved to the crowd who was remaining on deck. something like "35 year old who just swam 1700 with a back to back 200 FLy and 1500 Free". It made me feel a little better.
    nice 200 fly and 1500 free double. Your 1500 splits were pretty even for most of it. When you are 30 something and doing these events at a USAS, everyone is full aware of you. The best remark, "How did you do a 2:30 200 LCM fly at 35?". At least, you can get some LCM racing down the road from your house and work!
    I managed to use the first 400-500 as a cooldown/warmup. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th 50s of the race felt the worst. After that, all the bad things started going away.
    Amazing how that works. When I did a 400 split request in a 1500 last summer I felt like "My God, I've actually got to swim another 1100 meters?" after having just sprinting the 400, but after a couple hundred of recovery swimming I was amazed how much better I felt!

I hope you manage to snag a couple long course top ten rankings after all this swimming!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    nice 200 fly and 1500 free double. Your 1500 splits were pretty even for most of it. When you are 30 something and doing these events at a USAS, everyone is full aware of you. The best remark, "How did you do a 2:30 200 LCM fly at 35?". At least, you can get some LCM racing down the road from your house and work!
    Thanks Tom, the 1500 was all about survival at first, and then I shifted more into hunting/attack mode to go after my neighbors. I felt like I was putting forth more effort than my splits actually showed.
    In the 200 Fly, I beat quite a few of the kids in my heat, but one kid next to me was going for a 100 split to make his A Champs cut in the PNS LSC. Something like a 1:01.8 or something! Absolutely crazy the times they need. Our LSC doesn't have qual times for the 100s, but it is smaller too. Anyway...he looked like he was suffering on the final 100, and I did run him down and pass him on my final 50, so I can imagine how much he was hurting...and he missed his 100 split time too, so double hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Amazing how that works. When I did a 400 split request in a 1500 last summer I felt like "My God, I've actually got to swim another 1100 meters?" after having just sprinting the 400, but after a couple hundred of recovery swimming I was amazed how much better I felt!

I hope you manage to snag a couple long course top ten rankings after all this swimming!
    At first I was thinking I'd go without a counter for the 1500 (like I did in the 800 the night before), 'cause I didn't want to know how much more pain to go...but afterward I was glad I had a counter, because it let my mind just wander and think about things other than counting.

I should get a few TTs in LCMeters...most of my events aren't too highly contested.