View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 42 - Monday

Rate this Entry
I had a restless nights sleep but to my pleasant surprise work up feeling pretty good. After reading James Adams USAS meet description I all of sudden realised that no matter how hard practice was today relative to how he must have felt yesterday my workout was going to feel great. I carried this feeling into the workout and had a decent practice today. The pool was setup for long course.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 50

Main set
4x(200 free pull with paddles on 3mins descend 1-4, 100 kick AFAP on 2.30)
4x(100 free pull with paddles on 1.30 descend 1-4, 50 kick on 1.30 kick AFAP on 1.30)
2x400 free breathing 3 down, and 5 back on 1.20 base
2x200 free breathing 3 down and 5 back on 1.20 base

Total 3700 meters

The 200's I descended nicely going 2.22, 2.18, 2.14, 2.10, and held 1.35's on the kick(which kicked my butt). The 100's I descended well going 1.07, 1.05, 1.04, 1.03 and 50's kick I went 45's. The rest of the workout was swum aerobically with little effort and just making the send offs.

Up until this weekend I planned on swimming/training through south central zones this next weekend but after seeing some of the best masters times of some of the guys entered in my age group I plan to go pretty easy the rest of this week and hope to have some fast races this weekend. I will still keep my distance up since my primary goal this summer was to build a nice base in LCM for next year. My hope is that by backing off on the intensity this week I can swim relatively quick in some of the events at the weekend.

Submit "Week 42 - Monday" to Digg Submit "Week 42 - Monday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 42 - Monday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 42 - Monday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Hey, great job cracking the top ten in our age group in those freestyle events for 2013 SCY season! Results just posted.
    Thanks Alex, I had not seen that. I am very pleased.

I always have this habit of moving onto my next goal without celebrating achieving the current goal. I am very happy with the progress I made this year and achieved both of my first year goals; loosing 30lbs(I am down almost 50 pounds from my starting weight at this point and have stabilized my weight) and being competitive at the national level.
    An all american in the 1000 free is definitely worth celebrating! Congrats!

Although the weight loss is really the real winner. So few people are able to do that.
    Yes definately on both fronts.

On the weight loss front I had a funny moment this past weekend. I worked outside and had no old clothes to wear so grabbed one of our my old pairs of jeans pre-weight loss. A pair of 36" jeans. My waist is now a 29". So to say my jeans were loose even with a belt is an understatement. If I can figure out how to post an image on my iPad I will post a picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    An all american in the 1000 free is definitely worth celebrating! Congrats!

Although the weight loss is really the real winner. So few people are able to do that.
    Agreed! That's a real accomplishment. And as you keep going with your training you'll keep that weight off pretty easily. In my early thirties I had taken a couple of years off from running and hadn't gotten back into a groove after moving across country, job strains, comfort eating, etc. Gained 20-30 pounds. Started running again, tweaked the diet here and there, lost the poundage and have managed to keep it off for a decade. You'll do the same I'm sure, with your training regimen and goals. Kudos!
    Congratulations on your 2013 Top Ten Rankings and All American preliminary results. Your achievements are a tribute in part to your capacity to set goals and be persistent, along with a loving supportive family. Agree with Fort, that your inspiring weight loss is the most significant achievement, as one of the many benefits of wellness we derive from a healthy active lifestyle that includes swimming.

Today's workout results clearly show that you continue to make excellent progress even when the training and competitive season is not as focused as you prefer. I agree that some moderate rest the remainder of the week should facilitate fast and fun racing this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    Agreed! That's a real accomplishment. And as you keep going with your training you'll keep that weight off pretty easily. In my early thirties I had taken a couple of years off from running and hadn't gotten back into a groove after moving across country, job strains, comfort eating, etc. Gained 20-30 pounds. Started running again, tweaked the diet here and there, lost the poundage and have managed to keep it off for a decade. You'll do the same I'm sure, with your training regimen and goals. Kudos!
    Overall I really am enjoying swimming again. Thanks for all the support.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Congratulations on your 2013 Top Ten Rankings and All American preliminary results. Your achievements are a tribute in part to your capacity to set goals and be persistent, along with a loving supportive family. Agree with Fort, that your inspiring weight loss is the most significant achievement, as one of the many benefits of wellness we derive from a healthy active lifestyle that includes swimming.

Today's workout results clearly show that you continue to make excellent progress even when the training and competitive season is not as focused as you prefer. I agree that some moderate rest the remainder of the week should facilitate fast and fun racing this weekend.
    Thanks Frank. I definately agree with the supporting family part. My wife, kids and both mother and father are driving with me to Jenks for the South Central zone meet. I could not ask for any more support from them. They have been terrific.

I also want to thank you and everyone else on the forums for all the support this year; it's been a big help. My wife tells me at times I am like Bubba in Forest Gump where he talks about shrimping, but instead I talk about swimming. It's so nice to have a group who are as passionate about swimming as I am.