View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Double today puts me at...

Rate this Entry
by , July 16th, 2013 at 09:53 PM (450 Views)
299.92 miles for the year so far. Seriously?! I do a double and I come .08 miles short of the 300-mile mark? Whatever.

I'll pass the 300 miles tomorrow with my warm-up. Today I did an early lake swim just to loosen up: 2000 yards, mostly freestyle, but mixed in about 300 in back and 300 in breast.

This afternoon on my way home from work I stopped at the Y to do a little drill work, because I didn't have the equipment at the lake. Just 1200, as follows:

100 EZ free
100 pull w/ buoy
8 x 25 SDKs w/ short fins on :40
8 x 25 BK SDKs and kick w/ short fins on :30
2 x 50 BR kick w/ board on 1:15
2 x 50 BR pull w/ buoy on 1:15
2 x 50 BR hard on 1:15 (:50, :51)
2 x 50 fr pull w/ buoy
4 x 50 fr swim golf on 1:00 (was swimming a real easy :45-:46 pace in avg. 25-26 strokes/50, which means I was scoring around 71... one over par? Not bad for a recovery day cool-down).

Tomorrow: a lot more challenging. A repeat of last Wednesday's workout for 1500 and 400 IM goal-paces. It'll be interesting to see how my times compare and if I'm adapting well enough to the recent changes in my routine to feel these workouts getting easier. I'll wait for tomorrow, but am already thinking about what ramping up from here might look like if I'm adapting well enough.

Submit "Double today puts me at..." to Digg Submit "Double today puts me at..." to del.icio.us Submit "Double today puts me at..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Double today puts me at..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I had a similar thing happen to me today. I found out I am 0.05 of a mile short of 400 miles. According to the flog I am 92 yards away. Like you said, whatever.

Nice job Alex.
    For some reason I thought you'd have passed 300 a while ago. You're only 20-25 miles ahead of me, and I think at this point last year you were at least 50 miles ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    For some reason I thought you'd have passed 300 a while ago. You're only 20-25 miles ahead of me, and I think at this point last year you were at least 50 miles ahead.
    I'm putting in a lot less mileage this summer and a lot more quality; another thing that is different is that I haven't done the long OW swims every weekend like last year... I put in 5000 yards in the lake over two days last weekend, where last year I was disappointed if I didn't have 5K/day.
    I'm putting in a lot less mileage this summer and a lot more quality
    ...and it's showing in your time improvements. It may not be the best for your OW swimming, (a subject I know effectively 0 about) but it looks like it is paying significant dividend in your pool swimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    ...and it's showing in your time improvements. It may not be the best for your OW swimming, (a subject I know effectively 0 about) but it looks like it is paying significant dividend in your pool swimming.
    I know I'm behind in the OW training this year, but hope the extra stroke work in the pool is giving me some skills that make me a better swimmer in open water too. My aerobic capacity feels about the same... but there is a mental part of swimming in the open without the walls and lane lines that is very difficult to compensate for in the pool.