View RSS Feed

After a long rest

2013 South Central Zone Long Course Meet Part 2

Rate this Entry
I really liked the timing of this meet with my events on both Saturday and Sunday being done by noon. Yesterday after finishing up and doing my blog my mother, father, wife and kids hung out with our friends from Catoosa. We had a great Indian takeout last night and my dad and friend had some beers(I am still not drinking) while I had a Gatorade. Our kids played and watched movies while the adults watched the last two days of the Tour de France. It was great seeing another Englishman doing well on the tour. This completely took my mind off my swimming which I needed. I woke up this morning feeling good and I reset my expectations and focused on racing. Today's swims were

50m free - I went about the same time I swam in Rockwall two weeks ago, 26.5 and had a good start, but my stroke tightened up in the last few strokes. I won my age group and was 3rd in the heat. Everyone went 27.00 or quicker.

200m free - I actually felt strong on this but again no pickup. The time was 2.10.xx and I was 1st in my age group and second in the heat. A young guy under 25 pulled away half way down the last length and I just could not dig deep and stay with him unfortunately.

The drive home was uneventful but long. It's nice to be home and I am looking forward to getting back into a routine next week.

Submit "2013 South Central Zone Long Course Meet Part 2" to Digg Submit "2013 South Central Zone Long Course Meet Part 2" to del.icio.us Submit "2013 South Central Zone Long Course Meet Part 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "2013 South Central Zone Long Course Meet Part 2" to Google

Comments

You are such a great swimmer! I always enjoy listening to what you have to say about my swims. I know after you work for your next meet you will exceed your expectations.
    Nice
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    You are such a great swimmer! I always enjoy listening to what you have to say about my swims. I know after you work for your next meet you will exceed your expectations.
    Thanks Nikki. Congratulations on a great meet, especially getting your world qualifier on that 200 free. I am looking forward to getting back to training and developing some intermediate goals.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice
    Thanks James.
    I would say that you had an excellent LCM meet with good racing in a terrific facility, and at the same time successfully integrating a weekend of family activities with USMS participation. Of course being the swammer (ex college swimmer) that you are, and a very goal oriented person, you expected more from yourself. As one who has observed from the pool deck a wide range of successful USMS swimmers over the years, I can say to you with confidence, just be patient. Simply keep training and participating as you are doing and over the seasons you may be surprised at what you accomplish. It takes time to return into swimming competition as a maturing adult, and re-discover oneself as an athlete and competitor. Most of us looking on at your example of becoming fit again, and participating in USMS see what you have done this year so far as remarkable and inspiring.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    I would say that you had an excellent LCM meet with good racing in a terrific facility, and at the same time successfully integrating a weekend of family activities with USMS participation. Of course being the swammer (ex college swimmer) that you are, and a very goal oriented person, you expected more from yourself. As one who has observed from the pool deck a wide range of successful USMS swimmers over the years, I can say to you with confidence, just be patient. Simply keep training and participating as you are doing and over the seasons you may be surprised at what you accomplish. It takes time to return into swimming competition as a maturing adult, and re-discover oneself as an athlete and competitor. Most of us looking on at your example of becoming fit again, and participating in USMS see what you have done this year so far as remarkable and inspiring.
    Frank I really appreciate all the positive support. I have a lot to be thankful for but as I have blogged previously I am struggling a little at the moment with no short term training goals and the feeling of just floating along is very uncomfortable for me. I spoke to my coach this morning and he suggested sitting down in a couple of weeks once all the age group state meets are finished and plan out the next set of goals. I know this will help me immensely.

Despite being hard on myself I did enjoy the racing this past weekend and feel that this is something I need to add to my list of activities next year and I am seriously considering swimming in some USAS meets. After seeing how others on the forum compete in these meets I am not as intimidated as I was. Thanks James, Kirk, Chris, et al for leading the way and showing age is not important when swimming against the kids.

Frank you have been a really big help to me since I got back into the pool and you don't know how much I appreciate your positive energy, your kind words and your support. Thank you.