View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

3000-yard wave ride?

Rate this Entry
by , July 24th, 2013 at 02:45 PM (271 Views)
I intended to do a nice and easy recovery swim at the lake today, maybe get in a little work on breast stroke since I focused more heavily on the other three strokes yesterday.

The air temps were cool (upper 50s, lower 60s) and the water is cooling off a bit too--probably back in the 70s. The morning was bright with crisp blue sky and puffy white clouds scattered low on the horizon... and a nice cooling breeze, which unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your take), was kicking up some nice waves and driving them across the lake in regular intervals. This created a nice rolling surface constantly pushing me shoreward from the lap swim area. In one direction it would give me a little extra forward momentum, but coming back I would pay for it.

Would I rather swim through calm and crystal clear waters? Sure. But I "rolled" with it... thankful for an unexpected opportunity to become stronger and better acclimated to the unpredictable conditions of the open water.

Here's what I did:

5 x thru
200 fr
100 breast

4 x thru
200 fr
100 drill/recovery (swum as 50 3r/3l one-arm fly, 50 back recovery)

300 cool-down (fr, br, fr by 100)

Submit "3000-yard wave ride?" to Digg Submit "3000-yard wave ride?" to del.icio.us Submit "3000-yard wave ride?" to StumbleUpon Submit "3000-yard wave ride?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments