View RSS Feed

After a long rest

DAM 2k at SMU

Rate this Entry
My daughter has a meet all weekend out our aquatic center and as such there is no masters or public swimming this weekend. I decided a few weeks back to register for the DAM 2k swim tonight so that I could get a high intensity swim in since I won't be swimming tomorrow or,Sunday. I did not think this through that well though. I did not think about the water temperature in an outdoor long course pool in Dallas in late July. Also the meet started at 5.30 with warmup at 5.15 so I had a mad rush from work to make it to the pool through rush hour traffic. Despite the challenges everything worked out but it was really hot and I definately felt the heat the last 600 or so.

I managed to get about a 500meter warmup before the timed swim which helped stretch me out from this morning. The event was organized with swimmers being placed in lanes based on estimated 100 pace. At first I thought I had a lane to my self but half way through a swimmer jumped in and started swimming in my lane. We had a little collision at about 1300m(nothing major). I deliberately went out pretty easy and got into a nice rythm, and seemed to hold my 400 pace pretty consistently. My final time was 25.22.xx and I am pretty sure I would have been quicker if i managed the heat a little better.

I was pleased with holding 1.15.x pace and I have come a long way the past year with my endurance. The next year I need to improve significantly on endurance at a higher intensity if I am going to achieve my 2014 goals. I am very excited about ramping up my training over the next 12 months and look forward to some more improvement.

Submit "DAM 2k at SMU" to Digg Submit "DAM 2k at SMU" to del.icio.us Submit "DAM 2k at SMU" to StumbleUpon Submit "DAM 2k at SMU" to Google

Updated July 26th, 2013 at 10:10 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Nice swim! Wish your daughter good luck for me! I hate outdoor pools in TX they get so hot in the summer.
    Nice job; those hot, late afternoon pools really do sap your energy on continuous swims... and with air temps even hotter, there is no relief!
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    Nice swim! Wish your daughter good luck for me! I hate outdoor pools in TX they get so hot in the summer.
    I just saw your message. She swam four events this morning and did really well. She got another BB on the 100 IM to go with several others she already has and a couple of A times. She dropped 5 seconds on her 100 breast and almost 10 on the 100 IM. She is swimming tomorrow and has a good shot at 3 more BB times. She is doing the 100 fly as the last race of the meet and has not done this before. I was surprised that she is ok with swimming it, I know I wouldn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    Nice job; those hot, late afternoon pools really do sap your energy on continuous swims... and with air temps even hotter, there is no relief!
    Thanks. Yes they certainly do, but I did enjoy the swim. My wife and kids who counted and timed were pretty hot on the deck so all things being equal I guess I really had the better half of the deal.

Who knows at some point I may try a 5k or 10k time trisl swim.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I just saw your message. She swam four events this morning and did really well. She got another BB on the 100 IM to go with several others she already has and a couple of A times. She dropped 5 seconds on her 100 breast and almost 10 on the 100 IM. She is swimming tomorrow and has a good shot at 3 more BB times. She is doing the 100 fly as the last race of the meet and has not done this before. I was surprised that she is ok with swimming it, I know I wouldn't.
    that is awesome! So now are you swimming the 100 fly? If so I am totally going to be at that meet! If you do the 100 fly I will think about doing the 800 free
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    that is awesome! So now are you swimming the 100 fly? If so I am totally going to be at that meet! If you do the 100 fly I will think about doing the 800 free
    Funny story, because the meet was a B/C championship meet she could not enter with NT so they scratched her from the meet, so I got away with not having to do a 100fly. I don't think you are going to be able to get away without doing an 800/1000 before worlds.

A new 2 day short course meters meet was just posted in Shennandoah, TX in November so we should try to get a group to travel to the meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Funny story, because the meet was a B/C championship meet she could not enter with NT so they scratched her from the meet, so I got away with not having to do a 100fly. I don't think you are going to be able to get away without doing an 800/1000 before worlds.

A new 2 day short course meters meet was just posted in Shennandoah, TX in November so we should try to get a group to travel to the meet.

I will definitely be going! I'm always up for a road trip and my sister lives in Houston. I will think about swimming the 800 but I doubt I will. Do you think anyone else would go? We are really the only ones that travel.