View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

How much is just genes?

Rate this Entry
by , July 29th, 2013 at 11:35 PM (1044 Views)
I was fascinated by the book review of The Sports Gene by David Epstein in this past weekend's WSJ (c7). I do certainly believe a big reason I can swim as fast as I do is not because of training, but because of my genes.<br><br>What would really be nice to know, kind of like how every woman would like to know the absolute drop dead date at which her reproductive sell-by date is over (That sounded so Jim Thortonian), is exactly what am I doing that is a waste of my time - that is, what is it in my genes that no additional training helps at all. And also, what things could I be doing that gives the greatest percentage improvement?&nbsp;<br><br>Until then, I suppose i'll just keep doing what I am doing now. Which is even less, given there might only be a 50% chance that what I am doing is going to be better than what I was born with. &nbsp;<br><br>For example, I was out of the water for an entire week, but yesterday I still posted a 30 in a 50 from a dive. So being out a week didn't hurt or help me. I was very happy about that, since it just reinforced my belief that my genes enable me to be lazy and squander my talent.<br><br>My sister says, how can you be 10 seconds faster than me in a 50 free??? And I say, how can the elite swimmers be 5 seconds faster than me in a 50 free (LCM)???? Partly genes, partly focused training, but the real issue is - how do you know what element is the genes, and what are the components you actually have to train?

<br>++++++++++++++++++++++++++<br><br>Great Wolf Lodge was excellent! I made "gold" status, which seems to mean that you get a welcome plate of goodies and a NOON checkout - which is really a great deal. You have to go 5 times, but i'm not sure that means 5 times to the same GWL or what.&nbsp;

Submit "How much is just genes?" to Digg Submit "How much is just genes?" to del.icio.us Submit "How much is just genes?" to StumbleUpon Submit "How much is just genes?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments