View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

4K workout and a protein hiccup...

Rate this Entry
by , July 31st, 2013 at 03:29 AM (3574 Views)
So, yesterday (Monday) I did a reprise of the 200-pace workout that I did last week... I was still worn out from back-to-back hard days on Thursday and Friday, and maybe a little gastro-intestinal issue that I'll explain in a bit. First, the workout... warm-up was really slow and creaky. I don't like doing the harder workouts in the late afternoon or evening, so timing was an issue. I did have my rabbit Scotty with me for a while, but he couldn't do the whole workout with me... he was still beat from last Friday's pyramid too. Here's what I did:

WU (1200):
400 fr/pull on 7:00 (held 1:40/100 pace)
4 x 100 IM on 2:00 (desc. from 1:52 to 1:41... started much slower than last week)
4 x 50 fr on 1:00 (desc. from :42 to :39... last week I started at :39 and swam :38s)
200 pull, trying to build rhythm

MS1 (1000):
4 x thru--
4 x 50 bk at 200 goal-pace on :10 rest
-- <1:00 rest after each 200 (the 200s were coming in 3:38-3:41, 3:08 to 3:11 when you subtract the rests... about :05 slower than last week )
200 recovery swim (fr, bk, fr, bk)

MS2 (1000):
4 x thru--
4 x 50 fr at 200 goal-pace on :10 rest
-- <1:00 rest after each 200 (the 200s were coming in 3:08 to 3:11 I think, 2:38-2:41 when you subtract the rests... a little slower, but not by much, like last time it was more like my current 200 pace than what my goal should be)
200 recovery swim (fr, pull, fr, pull)

MS3 (1000):
4 x 50 fly on 1:00 (:45, :48, :49, :50)
2:00 rest
4 x 50 fly on 1:00 (:47, :49, :49, :52)--this set was a little faster than last week, but I did a couple on 1:05-1:10 instead of 1:00... fading fast at this point
1:00 rest
200 recovery swim (pull, fr)
3:00 rest
400 IM... wanted to push (6:58--a decent effort considering the day I was having... my splits by 100 were: 1:36 fly, 1:54 bk, 1:56 br, 1:32 fr... bk felt really slow, but I was at about 1000 yards of bk already at that point)

CD (200)
200 pull

PROTEIN HICCUP: my sister, another cardio/endurance addict, called when she found out I had gone plant-based, whole-foods diet. She's very supportive, but suggested I get a protein supplement, especially for right after hard workouts to jump-start the recovery. She pointed me in the direction of a vegan protein powder... sounded like a good idea. I chose one with probiotics... that sounded like a good idea too since I have been live-culture yogurt-free for two weeks. My first round of this left me feeling terribly bloated and just generally icky, though. That is apparently a side effect of a hefty dose of probiotics for some people. And the thing that upset me more than anything was that, really, I don't need all that much extra protein... what I've been able to find out about plant-based diets is that if you are eating the right amount of whole grains, nuts, legumes, even greens, you'll have plenty of protein in your diet. The protein supplement wasn't going to give me anything I couldn't have gotten from a couple of teaspoons of peanut butter and a piece of fruit right after the workout, and then a salad of mixed greens and spinach topped with beans, nuts, ground flaxseed and a little balsamic vinaigrette after I got home. Supplements are convenient, but as with everything else I'm finding that a natural, whole-food solution is always best.

I did take the protein again after yesterday's workout just as an experiment and because it is convenient... I cut back to about a third of the serving size. No adverse effects... so I'm guessing that the good bacteria levels are starting to balance out in my body. Next time I'll try 2/3 the serving size and see what happens. I am concerned about getting enough protein right after the workout... and quickly absorbed for recovery; but I'm going to use the whole foods when I can.

THE BINGE: No, not a food binge (at least the bad-for-you kind), a binge of documentaries about food and its effects on our health, about big corporate agribusiness and its effects on our diets and our environment... that has been the inspiration (along with the underlying interest in improving my health) for my choice to adopt a strictly vegan lifestyle... swearing off all animal sources... their fats are solid at body temperature, whereas unsaturated fats from vegetable sources are liquid at that temperature... this has to help my blood flow better and my heart pump more efficiently, right?

I have Netflix and have been scrutinizing documentaries such as "Vegucated," "Food Matters," "Forks over Knives," "Hungry for Change" and others which all have a similar message... we need to start paying more attention to the stuff we put into our bodies and start paying attention to what the science is saying about nutrition and human health rather than letting the marketers for processed foods, fast foods, and meat and dairy industries tell us what we ought to be eating. Dr. Klaper's lecture and slide-show, "Foods that Kill," though it's already dated (1993 I think), is a nice, common sense, starting point... and it's on YouTube.

The "Forks over Knives" website has a lot of great material, even recipes, and also led me to the Engine2Diet website, which has some great recipes and support materials as well. This is something that world-class athletes are doing, so as an enthusiastic amateur I feel like going plant-based is not going to put me at any kind of disadvantage.

Submit "4K workout and a protein hiccup..." to Digg Submit "4K workout and a protein hiccup..." to del.icio.us Submit "4K workout and a protein hiccup..." to StumbleUpon Submit "4K workout and a protein hiccup..." to Google

Updated July 31st, 2013 at 03:35 AM by mcnair

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Plenty of protein in peanut butter. I like the stuff without emulsified sugar where the oil is on top. Sometimes I get the almond butter but that's expensive. There's probably only several amino-acids a vegetarian athlete needs to supplement if diet is balanced
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Plenty of protein in peanut butter. I like the stuff without emulsified sugar where the oil is on top. Sometimes I get the almond butter but that's expensive. There's probably only several amino-acids a vegetarian athlete needs to supplement if diet is balanced
    Yeah, I've been using the Natural Peanut Butter for a few years now... the other stuff has too much sugar and even some trans fats if I remember correctly. I tried almond butter a couple of years back and wasn't impressed, for the price; I'm getting lots of almond with almond milk now and sliced almonds sprinkled over cereals and salads.