View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Getting ready for IGLA

Rate this Entry
My focus event this summer—the IGLA championships in Seattle August 13-18—is just 9 days away, and I’ve been making final plans and preparations for that event. I’ll be competing in 3 different aquatic disciplines—pool swimming, open water swimming, and diving--plus it looks like I might do the in-water choreography for our team’s entry in the closing Pink Flamingo competition. Here’s what my schedule will look like:

• Arrive Monday 12 August evening

• Tuesday 13 August: dive practice + easy swim at competition facility, counting for teammates’ 1500s

• Wednesday 14 August: 100 FL, 50 BK, 200 IM, (4 x 200 FR relay)

• Thursday 15 August: 50 fly, (4 x 100 medley relay), 1m dive competition

• Friday 16 August: (4 x 100 FR relay), (4 x 50 medley relay), 3m dive competition

• Saturday 17 August: 50 breast, (4 x 50 free relay), dive exhibition?, Pink Flamingo

• Sunday 18 August: 2-mile open water swim

Here’s how things are looking:

Diving

It was a race to the wire to learn enough dives to compete in the 3m competition as well as the 1m. Last Sunday I learned a back dive with a half twist from both boards, which gave me a seventh dive, and one from the twisting category, on the higher board. So now I’m good to go.

(As a woman, my competition lists will include 6 official, scored dives on each board. But because FINA requires 7 dives for men, women at IGLA are given the opportunity to do a seventh unofficial “equality” dive to protest this gender equality. In addition, all five groups of dives--forward, backward, inward, reverse, and twisting--should be included among the 7).

So on the 3m my dives will be:

• Front dive tuck
  • Front 1½ somersault tuck
  • Back dive straight
  • Back flip straight
  • Reverse dive tuck
  • Inward dive tuck
  • Back dive straight with ½ twist

This has to be among the lowest degree-of-difficulty dive lists you’ll ever see—but hey, I’m just thrilled to be competing!

On the 1m I might replace the twisty back dive with a front somersault with a full or half twist—I have some choices there—and I do the back flip in a tuck position rather than lay-out. I have three more practices to make everything better and to practice doing the different dives one after the other, rather than working on just one or two per practice.

As for the competition itself, Federal Way is a great diving facility—Olympic Trials were held there in 2012. Competition runs from 1 to 2:30 each day, and there are platform and synchro competitions as well (both on Friday). I know there are 16 divers total (about half from my team, half from various elsewheres); I’m not sure if there will be anyone else in my age group. My goal is to do all my dives legally, and to maybe hit one or two really well from each height. Whatever I do, since this is my first official meet, my scores will automatically be lifetime PRs!

Oh, and Kent Ferguson (former world champion on 3m and 92 Olympian) will be one of the judges at the competition. Very cool!

Swim Meet

This is a short course meters meet, with 2 courses going simultaneously. Men’s and women’s events are separate, and championship seeding (by age groups) is generally used for the shorter events. Turns will be guttered rather FINA walls, and starting blocks will have wedges (my first time using those). Swim competition is scheduled to run from 8:30 to 12:30 each day. Federal Way is supposed to be a fast pool.

My goals here are to score points for my team and to have fun racing. Team New York won the swim competition at last year’s IGLA in Iceland by a huge margin, but this year we come into the meet as underdogs—the DC squad has 69 swimmers to our 61, and also has way more women. (Women at IGLA meets are key, since the swim meet skews about 80-85 percent men—women typically score points in any event they swim, whereas the men’s events, especially in the 20s-40s age groups, can go several dozen deep). So my focus is on placing as well as I can in all my events, and contributing what I can to relays.

I picked my events (50 FL/BK/BR, 100 FL, 2IM) to avoid swimming too much on days I have diving, and to avoid having swim events that overlap with diving warm-ups. (Some relays might be going on at the same time as diving warm-ups, in which case I’ll shuttle back-and-forth between the diving well and competition pool as needed.) My swim training has taken a back seat to dive training and to rehabbing a calf injury this past month, and I was a little worried about my endurance in the 100 fly, especially since it’s not one of my usual events. So I have to admit I was a little relieved when the psych sheets came out, and I was listed as the only one swimming the 100 fly in my age group.

The two events where competition will be toughest are in the 50 BK and 50 FL. I’ve been trying to do very focused work for these events, but it’s been hampered by not being able to do many wall push-offs yet. Luckily my calf is healing well, and I’m hopeful that by the time I arrive in Seattle I will be swimming pain-free, if not as well prepared as I might like. I’m imagining that the swim events will feel like a comfortable respite from the diving, where everything is new and a little scary. Some diving teammates are in the opposite situation, new to swim competitions but old hats at diving—it will be nice to look to them for mutual support and encouragement.

In addition to my 5 events, we are allowed to swim 4 of the 5 relays. With 60+ swimmers and all the combinations of ages and genders possible, doing the relay assignments is a huge task—I don’t envy Coach Scott in the coming days! I’ve told him I’m happy swimming anything, and am looking forward to swimming with friends old and new.

Open Water

After 5 days in an indoor pool, I get to cap off the week with a 2-mile swim in Lake Washington. What a treat!

Other stuff

IGLA competitions always come with plenty of social events, and the Seattle crew seems to have done a ton of event planning. There’s an opening party at the Seattle Aquarium, hosted dinners with local swimmers, a women’s Garden Party and dinner near Alki Beach, a sunset cruise in the sound, closing banquet, etc. I’m singed up for all of those except the cruise (it runs too late for someone who never seems to adjust to west coast time when I'm out there). I'm also looking forward to making a trip to Colman Pool to try out the water slide, swimming in the sound (hoping to find a local guide for that!), and doing some other touristy stuff. Back at the pool, there will be water polo (go TNYA!) and synchro competitions in the afternoons, plus Pink Flamingo rehearsals. I have to get out my guidebook and the IGLA schedule and see what other things I want to shoehorn in.

Some links:

Questions for anyone who has read this far:

• Does anyone have any recommendations for things to do near Seattle that I shouldn’t miss? I’ve stayed downtown lots of times and have seen most of the things within walking distance of the downtown hotels. This time I’ll have a car and am interested in stuff within easy driving distance from Federal Way.

• Any advice on starting from wedge blocks? What do you do differently from a regular track start?

Submit "Getting ready for IGLA" to Digg Submit "Getting ready for IGLA" to del.icio.us Submit "Getting ready for IGLA" to StumbleUpon Submit "Getting ready for IGLA" to Google

Updated August 4th, 2013 at 12:20 PM by swimsuit addict

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good luck with all of that! You'll have a great time like always. I was going to come over for a swim day originally, but couldn't work out the days off at work, plus the entrance fee for the IGLA meet is a bit steep as well. I thought about the OW event, and am still thinking about it. We'll just have to see.
    Any advice on starting from wedge blocks? What do you do differently from a regular track start?
    When I swim at Federal Way, I don't actually use the wedges. I just move it all the way back, and still do my normal track start without the aid of the wedge. I don't practice with it, so I don't try to change anything at a meet like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Good luck with all of that! You'll have a great time like always. I was going to come over for a swim day originally, but couldn't work out the days off at work, plus the entrance fee for the IGLA meet is a bit steep as well. I thought about the OW event, and am still thinking about it. We'll just have to see.
    Entry fees for IGLA were steep! That tends to be the case at IGLA championships wherever they're hosted, not just Seattle. On the upside, entry includes amenities like transportation between downtown and the meet venue, some social events, etc. that definitely make it a better value for out-of-towners coming for the whole event than for locals or those wanting to make it a one- or two-day meet.

(Also, the fee structure is the same for swimming, polo, diving, and synchro--and a swim meet, especially one run as 2x scm rather than lcm, uses pool space more efficiently than those other sports.)

hope you decide to come to the OW! it would be great to meet you. And thanks for the starting block advice--I was not even considering that I didn't have to use the wedge if I didn't want to. But I would like to at least try it!
    Fun!

I found the adjustment to the wedge block at Georgia Tech pretty easy. What I did was stand on the block in my usual ready position, which is track start with my feet. When the starter said take your mark, I got my hands into the regular track start position and moved my right foot back onto the wedge. After that, it was the same.
    Having never heard of wedge blocks, I am smiling as I picture our pretty TNYistas starting in high-heel wedges and LOVING it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Fun!

I found the adjustment to the wedge block at Georgia Tech pretty easy. What I did was stand on the block in my usual ready position, which is track start with my feet. When the starter said take your mark, I got my hands into the regular track start position and moved my right foot back onto the wedge. After that, it was the same.
    Thanks--that's good to know!
    Quote Originally Posted by pool tourist
    Having never heard of wedge blocks, I am smiling as I picture our pretty TNYistas starting in high-heel wedges and LOVING it!
    Ha! Love it. That might be more Pink Flamingo territory though!
    If you've never been, I highly recommend the Museum of Flight. It is close to the Sea-Tac airport. If you're remotely into planes/aviation/aircraft, it is a must see.

Actually if you have a few hours to kill, go to the Museum of Flight. When you're done, continue on the freeway south to Tacoma. Follow signs for the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Take that, then follow the road all the way up to Bremerton. Then drive your car onto the ferry, back to Seattle. If it is a clear day, you'll be rewarded with some amazing views on the ferry. Plus the drive is pretty interesting too. Note--they do close the Narrows bridge if it is too windy.

Otherwise, sounds like you'll have quite a busy schedule. I wish I could have gone...but as it happens I have work meetings next week so I'm glad I didn't plan on it anyway. Maybe some day I'll get to IGLA.