View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Open Water update...

Rate this Entry
by , August 5th, 2013 at 12:01 AM (371 Views)
Just a quick note on the weekend's lake swims. I signed up for the Madison Open Water Swim (MOWS) that is going to be on Saturday, August 17th. I'm looking forward to it. I signed up for the 2.4-mile non-wetsuit wave again. But all this got me to thinking I really need to increase my time in lake water over the next couple of weeks.... just to be ready for whatever Lake Mendota (or was it Lake Monona? I always get the two mixed up... since I don't get over to Madison that much)... whatever the lake has to throw at us.

Saturday morning's 2K recovery swim in Lake Andrea was in gorgeous conditions (one could only hope for such weather, water--calm, glass-like waters, cool temps for both air and water 60s/70s).

This morning's swim in the same venue could not have been more different... cloudy skies made the cool air seem, well, cool... and a nice little chop was coming in from the east... this was a lot more challenging, had me experimenting with shorter, quicker strokes against the current. To make it even tougher I sprinkled in 3 x 400 IM over the two miles... 100 fly is considerably more challenging without a wall and working against the waves in one direction. Here's what I did:

400 EZ free
:30 rest
400 IM
:30 rest
400 free
1:00 rest
400 IM
<:30 rest
400 free
1:00 rest
400 IM
<:30 rest
1000 fr, cruise w/ waves, up-tempo against
100 bk/br

3500 yards/70 minutes
---
Saturday afternoon we said goodbye to our "little" boy again. He's headed off for his sophomore year in college. Here's a picture we took just before the drive down to Chicago O'Hare... I joked with the family afterward that, of course, it couldn't be a family picture unless we were all squinting into the sun... why do we do that? Also took a picture of Andrew with his two brothers... they grow up fast!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Andrew farewell.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	7822

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo08031110_1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	7823

Submit "Open Water update..." to Digg Submit "Open Water update..." to del.icio.us Submit "Open Water update..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Open Water update..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I think your family is like mine in that you all resemble one another. When I go places with my dad I'm a chip off the old block and when I go places with my mom I'm still a chip off the old block. I bet your sons get that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I think your family is like mine in that you all resemble one another. When I go places with my dad I'm a chip off the old block and when I go places with my mom I'm still a chip off the old block. I bet your sons get that too.
    Yes; and when they were little it was scary how much alike the boys looked... except for the hair, which is like Goldilocks and the three bears... as my middle son might tell it... this one is too curly and this one is too straight, but this one is JUST right!