View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Monday, Aug. 5

Rate this Entry
Swim/SCY @ Sewickley Masters

Warm up:

600 OMO
600 assigned (I did 400 of sculling and fly drills)
4 x 50 kick @ 1:00
4 x 50 free, 12.5 SDK each length @ 1:15

Main Sets:
(used fins)

12 x 50 @ :45 (mix of free, fly & kick)
masters minute
10 x 50 @ :40 (backstroke kick)
masters minute
6 x 50 @ :35 (backstroke kick, made it)
masters minute
assigned 10 x 50 @ :40 --- NO! I am a sprint diva, not an aerobic goddess. I just did 200 EZ while the other more stalwart swimmers carried on
masters minute.
12 x 50 @ :45 (DPS free)
50 EZ

Total: 3500


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made it, almost, through another "distance" day at Sewickley. Can you tell I'm not in the mood to train on my own much? I did zilch all weekend when I was in NoVa. So I am still in maintenance mode. I am also seriously sleep deprived from travel and the ungoing renovations at my house. I can't wait until I have the house to myself. It sucks to move, be in semi-shock and have chaos everywhere.

I realized yesterday that I have done virtually no drylands since early April when I tapered for Indy Nats. I think I've lost some muscle mass. Won't it be fun to start those up again ...

Submit "Monday, Aug. 5" to Digg Submit "Monday, Aug. 5" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, Aug. 5" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, Aug. 5" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

  1. Sojerz's Avatar
    Wow Fort. I was wondering how you were going to make out at master's practices amongst the animals - hopefully they will have some sprint workouts too. Keep that up and you may not need the drylands! Congrats on the coaching assignment, should be a lot of fun, and hope the house renovations get done soon.
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Wow Fort. I was wondering how you were going to make out at master's practices amongst the animals - hopefully they will have some sprint workouts too. Keep that up and you may not need the drylands! Congrats on the coaching assignment, should be a lot of fun, and hope the house renovations get done soon.
    Last week, I did 11 x 200! I will probably only train with then through August because Team Pitt has practice the same nights and same time. Then it's back to training on my own. They do have more sprinty practices on occasion.
  3. aztimm's Avatar
    Was this the set that the coach gave to everyone, or just the fastest lanes?

    Maybe with fins I could make 6 x 50 @ :35, but I don't think I could being sandwiched between 10 x 50 @ :40.

    Something about that set is odd to me. More like a short rest set for those who don't want to swim distance. Maybe it would be good training for 200s, I don't know.
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Was this the set that the coach gave to everyone, or just the fastest lanes?

    Maybe with fins I could make 6 x 50 @ :35, but I don't think I could being sandwiched between 10 x 50 @ :40.

    Something about that set is odd to me. More like a short rest set for those who don't want to swim distance. Maybe it would be good training for 200s, I don't know.
    The intervals were for the fast lane. I think only Bill White made it doing free by a second or so. I was coming in on 31-32. I'm so not used to that type of training it was a bit of a shock to the system!

    Even distance swimmers swim 50s. It was just a standard short rest descending interval set, I think. Bill tries to mix up the distances swum. The practice is only an hour, so there's only so much you can do in that time. I def prefer 90 minute practices where you can do some quality and recovery swimming too.
  5. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Last week, I did 11 x 200! I will probably only train with then through August because Team Pitt has practice the same nights and same time. Then it's back to training on my own. They do have more sprinty practices on occasion.
    Looks like a great workout to me! Welcome to the animal lane. I suspect PWB would be proud of you.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Looks like a great workout to me! Welcome to the animal lane. I suspect PWB would be proud of you.
    I'm hoping he didn't read my blog! Otherwise, I will hearing about the 200 IM again. The 200s were a hard kick endurance set.
  7. Sojerz's Avatar
    I would pay money and travel a significant distance to watch you kick-ass in a 200IM
  8. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    I would pay money and travel a significant distance to watch you kick-ass in a 200IM
    Aw. I tried one once years ago -- it was dreadful! Besides, I swam the 200 IM every single meet as a kid. Been there, done that. Enjoying the 100 IM.
  9. aztimm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Aw. I tried one once years ago -- it was dreadful! Besides, I swam the 200 IM every single meet as a kid. Been there, done that. Enjoying the 100 IM.
    Maybe we can twist someone's arm in Boston to let you, Stud, rxleakem, and I all swim the 200 IM in a heat together?
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Maybe we can twist someone's arm in Boston to let you, Stud, rxleakem, and I all swim the 200 IM in a heat together?
    You would smoke me in the second 100!