View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Friday, August 9, 2013 5:30-6:30pm

Rate this Entry
I know I mentioned about going dry for the month of August for a little time off from the pool. Well, one, I got bored over the week, and two, I signed up for the 2 mile Open Water event at the IGLA Champs in Seattle on August 18th, so I need to keep my body in swimming shape. I'm not going to be swimming gung-ho like I was, but a few maintenance swims throughout the week should be sufficient. Plus I've had a few forumites eyeballing my GTD mileage to try to overtake me. Who cares, right?

My solo swim at the YMCA for $6.00:

Had a lane to myself...Friday the whole pool is open for adult lap swim for a while which is nice.

800 Free stretchout, enjoying the walls every 13 strokes
(800/800)

2 x 400 Free Pull @ 5:30
went 4:55 and then pushed the 2nd one a little and went 4:40
(800/1600)

8 x 50 Flutter Kick w/ board @ 1:00 (held about :52s)
8 x 50 SDK on back w/ short fins @ :55 (goal was to maintain 6+ underwater kicks)
(800/2400)

100 EZ
(2500)

5 x 200 Free @ Desc. Interval
started on 3:00, then 2:50, 2:40, 2:30, 2:20
I cruised the first 3, holding 2:30s, pushed #4 to get a little more rest, then turned it on for the final one, coming in just under 2:20
(1000/3500)

200 EZ and out. That was good for an hour

-------------------------
3700 Yards

....and boy did the water feel warm, even though I'm sure it was its normal 83-84 degrees

Submit "Friday, August 9, 2013 5:30-6:30pm" to Digg Submit "Friday, August 9, 2013 5:30-6:30pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, August 9, 2013 5:30-6:30pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, August 9, 2013 5:30-6:30pm" to Google

Comments

you beat my yardage by 3700 yards today, Darn.
    I am sure you covered this in a previous post(probably before I joined masters), but remind me if you have a masters team you could train with. As you know swimming on your own is hard. You did at least 700 more than the magic threshold and deserve a big pat on the back. There is something about 3k on your own that's so hard to swim through when swimming solo. Nice job and glad you got bored and decided to swim
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I am sure you covered this in a previous post(probably before I joined masters), but remind me if you have a masters team you could train with. As you know swimming on your own is hard. You did at least 700 more than the magic threshold and deserve a big pat on the back. There is something about 3k on your own that's so hard to swim through when swimming solo. Nice job and glad you got bored and decided to swim
    James, nice job on keeping the 200 intervals that tough. You still have that age group training glow, !! Stewart, when James trains with his masters team, it is kind of training alone. I had to do alot of solo workouts in the past few months just because of logistics.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    when James trains with his masters team, it is kind of training alone. I had to do alot of solo workouts in the past few months just because of logistics.
    My Masters team tends to do different times and reps based on abilities within our team, but irrespective of the reps and times having other people doing the workout seems to make it easier for me and I find I focus on the specific set and not how far i have done. I know I would struggle to get motivated just doing my own workouts, but you guys rock being able to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    My Masters team tends to do different times and reps based on abilities within our team, but irrespective of the reps and times having other people doing the workout seems to make it easier for me and I find I focus on the specific set and not how far i have done. I know I would struggle to get motivated just doing my own workouts, but you guys rock being able to do it.
    Stewart, Tom pretty much hit it there. They only had practice times from 5:30-7:00am this last year, and coming up year may be even more sparse with a few days a week at that time. With my current (almost previous) job I can't make the times available. May be harder with the new job.