View RSS Feed

My non-workout blog and random thoughts

Gregor Mendel was right!

Rate this Entry
OK, so I can do a little bragging about our family swimming prowess. My brother and I hold (soon to be certified) national records in the same age group! At the time of this blog entry, I am 54 and he is 50 (and a young whipper-snapper).

I will be happy to challenge him to race any distance and any stroke as long as I get a 5 year head start. Fortunately, in 2009, I am now considered to be "aged-up" under FINA rules and happily leave the land of the 50-54 year olds.

Seriously, he was the star swimmer when we were age groupers and was an 1980 OT consolation finalist in the 400IM (during the Moscow games that we (USA) boycotted). He still holds the Las Cruces High School record in the 200IM (1:58 - set way back in 1975).

I was never able to achieve anything close to his performance level. It wasn't until I started back into swimming as an adult that my performances were sort of notable. While I'm happy with my times, I also realize just how darn slow that I am. There are 12 year old girls that can swim faster than I ever will be able to and given that fact, I see no reason to get all puffy.

Neverless, our little family accomplishment could make a great USMS trivia pursuit question.

2009 M50-54 Short Course Meters Records
Event Name Date Time
50 Back
Tom Wolf 10-10-04 29.30
Philipp A Djang 12-07-08 29.04*

200 Breast
Robert Strand 12-15-96 2:34.71
Benn W Doyle 12-07-08 2:32.78*
Lincoln P Djang 02-15-09 2:32.06*

Submit "Gregor Mendel was right!" to Digg Submit "Gregor Mendel was right!" to del.icio.us Submit "Gregor Mendel was right!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Gregor Mendel was right!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That's pretty cool!
    Nifty Fifty's Rule The Pool!
    I wonder if there are any other siblings who both hold USMS National record? Cool accomplishment!

There have been some great swimming families over the years: Aaron and Hayley Perisol, Klete and Kalyn Keller, Dana and Tara Kirk, the Rhodenbaughs, Rick and Lynn Collela. I'm sure lots more.
    Updated May 1st, 2009 at 01:51 PM by knelson
    Bobinator and knelson - thanks for your kind comments.

Knelson's list of family swimming talent is spot on. The siblings on his list are the real swimming talent. My brother and I are decent swimmers, but we couldn't come close to the Perisols of the world. If they ever decide to swim masters - some of those untouchable records (say by K. Pipes-Neilsen) are going to evaporate.

BTW, did you know that Pablo Morales (famous butterflier) has two twin (younger) brothers? Vince and John. Vince is still churning up the water and has several FINA top times. He is also a cancer survivor - and in my opinion, a real hero.

And Larry Krauser - currently a top swimmer in the 55-59 age group - is the son of June Krauser - the matriarch of US masters swimming.