View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Where's the reset button?

Rate this Entry
by , August 14th, 2013 at 12:27 AM (502 Views)
I hate tapering... wouldn't it be great if we could just hit a reset button and *bam* all the glycogen stores are properly refilled, all the soreness and fatigue have been whisked away... that pace you worked so hard to get to feels automatic, even easy. Not happening. I guess I'll actually have to do a better job of resting over the next few days, not getting overzealous with my swim sessions.

Sunday I did an easy 2000 in the lake, but may have pushed the pace just a tad, since I felt pretty good (odd considering I had two really tough workouts in a row on Friday and Saturday). Monday, I figured I could do 5000 at the Y... some pace work and just a little bit of IM in the warm-up and cool-down, so I don't lose any of the progress I've made on my strokes this summer. The workout ended up being a lot more difficult than I had intended... or I felt a lot more fatigued than I thought I would; bottom line is I really do need to back off the next couple of days to re-charge for Saturday's open water swim. Here's what I did yesterday:

Warm-up (1000):
400 EZ (fr, pull, fr, pull by 100s... these were really slow) on 8:00
4 x 100 IM on 2:15 (descended these from 1:46 to around 1:40)
4 x 50 fr on 1:00 (:40-:42... I was not pushing on these at all, just trying to keep the stroke long and strong)
2:00 rest

MS (3000):
6 x 500 fr on 9:00
--7:45-8:15; these were all over the place... not only between 500s, but I never felt like I got into a consistent rhythm/pace on any given 500... unlike in the 500s I did a week ago. I had hoped my pace would be between this spring's 1650 pace and Saturday's 3500 pace (i.e., between 1:30 and 1:36 per 100--7:30-8:00)... doesn't that seem reasonable for a 500? I couldn't hold it... not exactly a confidence builder. Maybe I was still recovering from last week.
2:00 rest

Cool-down (1000):
8 x 50 in 400 IMO on 1:00 (:48, :48, :50, :50, :56, :56, :45, :43 = 6:36)
4 x 100 IM on 2:00 (again mid-1:40s)
4 x 50 fr/pull skate on 1:00

Total: 5000 SCY/95-100 minutes

BACK AT THE LAKE TODAY: the air was chilly (still in the 60s and breezy) when I got to the lake; and the sun was playing tag with the clouds. I braced myself for cold water and wondered if I would ever warm up on what I had planned would be only about 1K recovery swim. Thank goodness the breeze was coming into shore and pushing the warmer surface water into the lap swim area. I dove right in and was happier underwater than on the surface where I could feel the cooler air against my arms with every stroke. The surface, while warmer, was also a little choppy and provided a nice current to swim against in one direction. I alternated 200s fr with 100s back (x2) and br (x2) for a total of 1200 yards. We'll see how I feel tomorrow... I hate taking rest days.

Submit "Where's the reset button?" to Digg Submit "Where's the reset button?" to del.icio.us Submit "Where's the reset button?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Where's the reset button?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Alex,

I definately think you should back off on the intensity this week. I am not an expert by any stretch and perhaps Patrick, Kirk or others would be good to give you pointers, but working on long hard pace based sets on your only taper week seems to defeat the goal of the taper; rest my friend. As I mentioned previously a week Taper seems short to me, but I get that this is not your main race and is more of a rest week than a full Taper.

That said you have worked your tail off this summer and need some rest. By all means do aerobic sets but dont push the set, these should feel comfortable not tiring. Your goal should not be to hold pace during workouts, it should be to swim fast during your race. Who cares that your pace is off right now, your body needs time to recover from all that hard work, and you know you can do that pace anyhow, based on the prior weeks workouts. A 5k workout seems long to me also, again since you are only resting for the week. If I were doing a 3 week taper I may do that 5k distance through the first half of the Taper but the week before my race I would be no more than 3k and would drop to my warmup distance the day before the meet.

The following link is somewhat simplistic but it may help:

http://www.swimmingcoach.org/articles/9808/9808-3.htm

Good luck with the rest of the week.
    Thanks, Stewart, for the link to the article! I think the one thing I still lack is that confidence/faith in the work already done... that's just my own neurosis of course, I always feel like there's more to do. But I do plan to back off. I'll do 3k today, 2k tomorrow and then just a 1k warm-up Friday before the race Saturday.

I also need to learn how to "enjoy" the taper instead of looking forward to all the things I'm going to start incorporating into my workout routine once this week is over! Thanks for the encouragement!
    I always have the same mental battle - not wanting to give up on training 'til the very last minute - like cramming for a test. It's the intuitive response, but not right and I know it but...

Every book on training worth it's weight in salt tells the reader that the results of training, the bodies adaptation, occurs ONLY when you rest, and the taper is the ultimate rest. Don't let intuition blow-off all your hard work, grab all of the adaptation you can in the taper (you earned it), be confident the work will pay off and no work you do now is going to make any difference. Rest and enjoy the race. keep dropping the V and I and on the day before really rest- if possible don't even go in the water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    I always have the same mental battle - not wanting to give up on training 'til the very last minute - like cramming for a test. It's the intuitive response, but not right and I know it but...

Every book on training worth it's weight in salt tells the reader that the results of training, the bodies adaptation, occurs ONLY when you rest, and the taper is the ultimate rest. Don't let intuition blow-off all your hard work, grab all of the adaptation you can in the taper (you earned it), be confident the work will pay off and no work you do now is going to make any difference. Rest and enjoy the race. keep dropping the V and I and on the day before really rest- if possible don't even go in the water.
    Good point... I have to keep reminding myself that the real adaptation becomes evident after the rest. I'm scaling back and feeling pretty good right now.