View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Aug 13-14

Rate this Entry
Tuesday:

I was actually excited to do a workout on my own for a change. Drove to Sewickley Y around 2. No, all lanes closed for the kids. No adult lap lanes during the day. Called a couple more places, same thing. Very depressing. I'm not adjusting very well to Pitt.

spin, 75 min

Wednesday:

RC/scap ex, 10 min
power wheel roll outs, 3 x 15
power wheel pike ups, 2 x 10
long arm crunches, 2 x 50
goblet squats, 20 x 2 x 15
bicep curls, 20 x 2 x 15

Spin, 20 min

Off to practice soon. Adults = one hour in the evening. Summer can't be over soon enough. To add insult to injury, I missed my exit and it took me forever to get there.

Edited to add practice:

Swim/SCY @ Sewickley Masters

Warm up:

12 x (25 drill + 25 swim) @ :55
4 x 50 kick @ 1:00
4 x 50, 12.5 UW SDK each length @ 1:15

Main Sets:

6 x through: (I used fins)
1 x 100 smooth stroke or IM @ 1:45
1 x 50 build to sprint @ 1:00 (I don't like builds, so I did the 50s @ 100 ish pace and kicked them. Went 25s in backstroke.)
masters minute

6 x 25 @ 1:00
odds = AFAP
evens = EZ
masters minute

4 x 100 stroke or IM @ 1:30

1 x 50 AFAP
-- tried but cramped. sprinting at the end of an aerobic practice doesn't work so well for me.

100 EZ

Total: 2700

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heading back to NoVa again this weekend to see Fort Son. Not feeling like traveling but maybe it's a good idea as I've been very melacholic around here.

Submit "Aug 13-14" to Digg Submit "Aug 13-14" to del.icio.us Submit "Aug 13-14" to StumbleUpon Submit "Aug 13-14" to Google

Updated August 15th, 2013 at 10:48 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Spinning

Comments

What a disappointing day! I hope you will not have to drive all over just to find a pool for your solo workouts.

Here is an interesting FYI, as you would expect, almost all public and institutional pools in SWF are outdoors (there is an exceptional indoor 50M pool in Clearwater, FL). Well, recently I discovered an LA Fitness facility which has an indoor 25 yd pool located at a shopping mall 2 miles from FGCU. It is only 5 lanes and is not deep, but always has lane lines with lap swimming hours all day. My wife uses that pool because she does not want to swim in the sun and always has her own lane.
    yep, that is PA YMCAs for you. I always check the Y schedule before I decide to go to that Y. It might be better once the "little creatures" go back to school?
    Going back to school will help, but our Y seems to fill up week day stuff and open lanes are rare. I only try to use the Y on Sat or Sun PM now. The LA Fitness pool is only 3'6" at each end to 4'6" in the middle, but it is just enough to make a turn without to much worry and get in some sdks (although ive banged my head on the bottom a few times doing back sdks).
    and since next week Pitt, SEWY, North Park and Mt Lebo will be closed, good luck finding a place. I'm going to check the JCC. To be fair, Mt Lebo may just not have masters practices anymore. The pool may still be open.
    Peters is still at Rolling Hills, no? I thought they swim there through labor day, if you can stand the hot water. The Bridgeville LA Fitness isn't bad. It's 4 lanes and shallow, but there is usually a lane to swim in. And in the early AM, there is a fair amount of Masters type swimmers.
    Peters is still at RH but with a 5am dive time. Just on Tues and Thurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    yep, that is PA YMCAs for you. I always check the Y schedule before I decide to go to that Y. It might be better once the "little creatures" go back to school?
    PA is just downright unfriendly to masters swimmers. I've heard some of the pools are deserted mid day when the kids are in school. That's when I used to swim in the NoVa public pools.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    What a disappointing day! I hope you will not have to drive all over just to find a pool for your solo workouts.

Here is an interesting FYI, as you would expect, almost all public and institutional pools in SWF are outdoors (there is an exceptional indoor 50M pool in Clearwater, FL). Well, recently I discovered an LA Fitness facility which has an indoor 25 yd pool located at a shopping mall 2 miles from FGCU. It is only 5 lanes and is not deep, but always has lane lines with lap swimming hours all day. My wife uses that pool because she does not want to swim in the sun and always has her own lane.
    Thanks for the sympathy Frank. It's been a bad couple days. There is an LA Fitness near me, but I really don't want to join as we have a gym membership through Mr. Fort's work. And it doesn't solve the depth problem. I feel like I'm starting to get into bad habits in these shallow pools. As well, I've had a few crashes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpetyk
    Peters is still at Rolling Hills, no? I thought they swim there through labor day, if you can stand the hot water. The Bridgeville LA Fitness isn't bad. It's 4 lanes and shallow, but there is usually a lane to swim in. And in the early AM, there is a fair amount of Masters type swimmers.
    Unfortunately, I would rather retire than become an early am swimmer. I am a night owl -- go to bed late and get up late.

I may go out to North Park today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    and since next week Pitt, SEWY, North Park and Mt Lebo will be closed, good luck finding a place. I'm going to check the JCC. To be fair, Mt Lebo may just not have masters practices anymore. The pool may still be open.
    I didn't realize that North Park and Lebo were closed too. I'm going to check on Lebo today. I guess the Upper St Clair Rec Center must still be open? Our public Rec Centers in NoVa almost never close anyway. I see summers are going to be challenging in Pitt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Lake Lebo is open next week. http://mtlebanon.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/4227
    Fort..USC. Rec center is closed next week....but Lebo should be open for community & adult swim hours...I was planning on swimming there in the pm next week after check out the schedule.
    lebo masters is just done...but you don't do those early morning swims..right?
    Quote Originally Posted by magick17
    Fort..USC. Rec center is closed next week....but Lebo should be open for community & adult swim hours...I was planning on swimming there in the pm next week after check out the schedule.
    lebo masters is just done...but you don't do those early morning swims..right?
    It's a conspiracy to thwart masters swimmers!

Nope, no early am risings for me. I guess I will try to hit Lebo a few times.
    The good news is after Labor Day, local high schools offer adult swim times with designated lap lanes in the evening. I don't know the status of Lebo's new pool, but there are other high schools not too far from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpetyk
    The good news is after Labor Day, local high schools offer adult swim times with designated lap lanes in the evening. I don't know the status of Lebo's new pool, but there are other high schools not too far from you.
    Most of them are only open an hour though. And are they just mosh pits with adults trying to get swims in?

I'm just very frustrated with Pitt at the moment.
    I've only been to South Fayette and Chartiers Valley's open swims in recent years. Both places I had a lane to myself. S. Fayette shared the pool with aquacize, but there were still dedicated lanes for lap swimming. CV is a 6 lane, 50 meter pool with a bridge, so during short course season, they actually have 2 - 25 yard pools.