View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Taper continues; Salads rock...

Rate this Entry
by , August 15th, 2013 at 03:21 PM (326 Views)
Today I only did 1500 yards or so in the lake... I was going to do 2000, but an extra recovery day is good now. Tomorrow I'm planning to go into the Y for a quick warm-up and that's it... I had originally planned to do 1000, my standard warm-up... instead I might just do 400-800 in drill work/EZ swimming and call it a day.

Yesterday was my last "workout" before the 2.4-mile swim; and it was pretty relaxed, a real scaled down version of things I've been doing the last 6 months; where I would have been tempted to push the pace and get the times down I made a conscious effort to count strokes, back off the pace to focus on distance per stroke. Here's what I did:

WU (1000)
400 EZ swim on 7:00 (fr, pull, fr w/ short fins, pull by 100s)
4 x 100 IM on 2:00 (mid 1:40s)
4 x 50 fr on 1:00 (1st EZ, then desc. the last 3: :46, :42, :40, :38)
1:00 rest

MS (1000)
10 x 100 fr on 1:50
--first one was 1:28, last one was an ez 1:32, the rest were right at 1:30, so I was able to find a consistent pace; the interval (1:50) gave me what seemed like an eternity of rest between reps, since I've gotten so used to going off 1:40 of late.
1:00 rest

CD (1000)
4 x 50 fr on 1:00 (ascend the first three, ez on the 4th: :36, :37, :38, :46)
4 x 100 IM on 2:00 (these were actually slightly faster than the 100 IMs in wm-up, but felt relaxed)
400 EZ swim (fr w/ short fins, pull, fr w/ short fins, fr by 100s)

3000 SCY/58 minutes

I'll have to remember this workout in my reverse taper and for recovery or maintenance phases of training... got the blood pumping but kept the focus on form... loosened me up, rather than tightening me up.

JUST A QUICK NOTE ON FLY: Though I'm not focusing on fly this week, obviously, and just using it for variety and to keep my form on the stroke... taking the time to swim it more carefully and more purposefully has revealed a couple of things to me... (1) without being too conscious of the fact, the second kick has become second nature... this is something I used to struggle with last spring, but I noticed that I was doing it without thinking about it this week... that's cool; and (2) my DPS (distance per stroke) has gotten a lot better... granted, I was purposely trying to reduce my stroke count in the 100 IMs mentioned above, but even still, I went back to look at my fly from the 400 IM at state SCY meet in March and I was doing 9-10 strokes per length. Yesterday I was doing 3-4 underwater dolphins, then 6 full strokes per length from push. That's a huge difference.

SALAD... YUMMY, YUMMY:

I know I've mentioned my layering of salads recently; great way to get all those nutrients and eat a large volume of food without going overboard on the calories. I signed up for the MindBodyGreen daily e-newsletter a couple of weeks ago... they send links to articles with recipes and other wellness tips on their website. Anyway, one of the recent articles had a great explanation of the concept of layering salads and a couple of easy recipes... tried both of them last night (with leftovers for lunch today!) and really enjoyed them... I've never been a carrot fan, but I liked this one. I did cut back slightly on the oil; olive oil is obviously healthier than crisco, but I haven't even been using much EVOO lately in my effort to keep the processed oils to a minimum.

Anyway, here's a link to the recipe:

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-10558...rot-salad.html

Submit "Taper continues; Salads rock..." to Digg Submit "Taper continues; Salads rock..." to del.icio.us Submit "Taper continues; Salads rock..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Taper continues; Salads rock..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Way to go Alex and good luck goin in!
    That salad looks good
    Have a great swim this weekend