View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

08/17/13: Betsy Owens Swim (USMS 2mile Cable Nationa Champs)

Rate this Entry
After a beautiful day Friday getting some errands done around time, my friend Brent stopped by the house to pick me up and we headed northwest on a three hour journey to the Adirondacks of New York, with the final destination of Lake Placid for the 2013 USMS National Championship 2 Mile Cable Swim, Betsy Owens Swim. I guided us though some great back road, agricultural settings until we hit Saratoga Springs ("Health, History, Horses") and picked up the Northway (I-87) before getting off on state route 73 through the High Peaks.

We arrived at our home for the night, Art Devlin's Olympic Motor Lodge, and checked in, admiring the showcase that this Olympic ski jumper from the 60's acquired from all over the world and the view of the ski jumps to our south from the property. Brent swam at Betsy Owens a couple of years ago, so we ventured north into town on foot, walking past the 400m outside speed skating oval, ice arena (home of the "Miracle On Ice" game from 1980 OG), and the Olympic Center en route to the Mirror Lake, home of IronMan Lake Placid and Betsy Owens swim. It was a little cool, but the sun was hanging brilliantly in the sky just above the mountains surrounding the lake. I dipped my hands in the water, a tad cool and thankfully not really warm.

We then checked out some of the shops downtown. Lake Placid is relatively void of major shopping outlets (only one small area with four or five shops), favoring traditional independent shops and restaurants in a town that has the hint of a European village. We ran into Jonathan, one of our Berkshire lake swimming buddies who was in town with his wife and daughter to race. He later shared that they bought a "passport" to check out the Olympic venues, and his daughter rode down the bobsled track! We ended up eating at a restaurant on the lake side, Generations, and enjoyed a relaxed pre-race meal before ice cream at Emma's Creamery and the nice stroll back to the lodge for a restful night's sleep.

We got up a little after 7am to a brisk temperature of 46, and I grabbed some coffee and a lemon poppy muffin from the lodge as we checked out and drove to the beach for 8:15. Check in started at 8am, with warmups on the course from 8-9. There is a great grassy hill on the start end of the course, and Brent had a chair that he put down to mark our little area. After debating about "warming up," since the report race temperature was 69 degrees, we hopped in and did one loop of the 1/4 mile cable in the counter-clockwise direction that was prescribed for the race. This was my first swim of this type, and the cable was suspended about two feet below the surface of the lake, with a large orange buoy at the turning ends and small buoys every 10m along the length of the course. Since the water at Mirror Lake is very clear, the cable is very early to see as long as the sun is out.

After drying off, we waited until the safety briefing and final attendance check-in at 9:15, where David and Ann reminded us that a total of 4 loops was needed to complete the race and that, although this is Open Water swimming, we were to be civilized or risk being DQ'd. It kinda reminded me of a scene from Lord of the Rings - we were lined up by wave (ten people) based on 1650 seed time and put into starting order, then proceeded to enter the water so that three waves were always wet. Just after 9:30am, every 30 seconds a wave is started in water (marked by a green buoy at a distance along the cable that offsets the distance to the two yellow buoys ending the race just before the beach), then the next one already in water swims up to the starting buoy and is counted down.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Course Map .jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	7859

I started in the middle of the second wave of the first heat and settled into a comfortable rate, purposefully not hovering cable. Here starts the "Did you get the number of the person who ran me over?" issue, as many folks do not want to leave the cable and will be happy to engage in contact to stay on it. Incidental contact is always an issue, and if I am on the giving end I'll move around it as soon as I realize it. Others have no problem banging into you incrementally from toe to head - oh well. Expect the unexpected!

As usual, I spend much of the swim praying as I enjoy moving through the water, especially taking in the sites of the venue around the OW event. I caught some in the end waves as I approached the end of the third lap, and went around the turn buoy on the start of the final lap and went wide to get around another pod. I increased my kick and kept the turnover strong, passing some in the first wave before turning at the far end of the course for the last time (well, I swam a couple strokes past it ). I then kept going strong into the finish, where we were handed a numbered popsicle stick and advised to stay in order, handing in the stick as our race number was recognized once on the beach. I was seeded 15th and finished the race with number 10, which could change after the second heat completed their swim.

After a quick warmdown of 200m, I spent some time in the sun (air temp now 64) with Brent and Jonathan's family as he took off in the first wave of the second heat. I then got changed and vegged out, watching this Nascar of swimming, where folks circle around the rack and some bumping happens. Interestingly, one lady shouted that another swimmer should be DQ'd for pushing her underwater, describing in detail the man and his suit - she later, on the beach, sought him out and lambasted him a bit (to which he replied, "I was just swimming on the cable, you ran into me." to her shouts.

So, this type of an event really does keep the spectator interested. I have come to realize that contact is indeed going to happen, especially in this more competitive atmosphere. I agreed with Brent that for many of the point to point OWswims, there is more of a sense of just swimming and enjoying the journey, rather than "racing." I am sure that some swims may not feel this way, but I rather enjoy just getting out and going. My final time was 47:34.58, good for second place in my age group, just 30 seconds behind Brent. I am happy that he is the National Champ, and that I was able to be that close to him time-wise since I consider him a much faster distance swimmer than myself.

After the second heat finished (82yo Patrick was a great inspiration), we stayed for the great lunch that was put on for us and then the award ceremony. I met with some of the Middlebury Muffintops, as well as a Twitter friend, Alicia, that I have been following for about a year now (she was 2nd place on the women's side). New friends are great! I believe that it was announced that the 2014 National Champs will also be held during the Betsy Owens swim. I would recommend checking it out and making plans to attend next year for a great swim experience, in an area where you find fun for the whole family! If your lucky, it will not be as cold!

Submit "08/17/13: Betsy Owens Swim (USMS 2mile Cable Nationa Champs)" to Digg Submit "08/17/13: Betsy Owens Swim (USMS 2mile Cable Nationa Champs)" to del.icio.us Submit "08/17/13: Betsy Owens Swim (USMS 2mile Cable Nationa Champs)" to StumbleUpon Submit "08/17/13: Betsy Owens Swim (USMS 2mile Cable Nationa Champs)" to Google

Comments

Silver medal in a nat'l champ. race - nice going! Too bad the race wasn't this coming week, when they say it will be warmer (or too bad you didn't have the coming weeks' weather yesterday).
    Nice job Mike!! 69 degrees huh?? Had it not been a USMS title swim, I would've gone wetsuit with that temperature. I'm sure I could've braved the elements though, but I would've moaned the whole way!
    Kudos!! Great job!
    Great job Mike! I this race about 2 years ago. This probably one of the few ow swims that I will consider doing again.
    Nice swim this weekend! It was great to meet you too. I actually heard the water was more like 67-68, but honestly I was happy it was that cool on the 4th lap around. Having the sun out really helped! Maybe because of my seeding position (wave 4), I experienced, what sounds like, less contact than you did. I found there were just enough people I could draft off, but didn't feel like there were too many in the way that I had to expend too much energy trying to swim around them. I was most happy to be able to hold off the 45-49 male age group winner who drafted off me for most of the last length...

I was thrilled with my time but it's just such a beautiful venue for a race that just being there is an awesome experience. (p.s.- I came out of lurker mode just for this post!)
    if your friend was brent w from FISH masters could you say hey to him for me. jack c from FISH masters a couple of years ago - the old guy ! thanks
    Thanks guys, it was a really fun race, in a great location. The contact just adds to the entertainment value! I prefer cooler temps as well, and am happy that I lured a lurker out

Jack, Brent is a FISH - I'll be happy to pass along well wishes to him for you.
    Wow, great pic of the lake with mountains in the background... I guess we know why they call it Placid. Awesome swim too, sounds like the sight of the cable has some sort of weird magnetism... "must swim the cable... must swim the cable." Our air temps climbed into the 60s and even low 70s pretty quickly Saturday morning too, with the sun it felt great. Congrats!