View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Blog catchup 0812-08202013

Rate this Entry
by , August 20th, 2013 at 07:18 PM (39 Views)
don't have too many excuses as to why I haven't blogged. my swim workouts have been pretty non-existent and not too inspiring. I did have some awesome cycling workouts, and even a run last week:

Monday 8/12, masters workout @ Kino (w/Paul coaching)
350 w/u
16 x 50, odds drill @ 1:00, evens swim @ :50
4 x 100 kick @ 2:00
4 x 200 pull @ 2:45
8 x 25 underwater power kick @ 1:15
16 x 25 @ :30 (3 fast limited breaths, 1 fast)
200 w/d

TTL: 3350 yards

Tuesday 8/13, cycling workout:
Tues AM ride 47.15 mi 02:29 19.0mph pace
Ride to Ahwatukee with a hill repeat
http://www.strava.com/activities/74375407

then ran off for pretty much 3 days of meetings. lots of food, big dinners, had planned to stay 2 nights (a resort about 45 min from home).

I slept pretty bad on Tues night, so ended up coming home Wed night. yea it is a haul, but for a good night's sleep, totally worth it

Thurs 8/15: AM run
woke up at my usual time Thurs morning and went for a little run:
Paseo Trail 3.33 mi 00:30 09:02 pace
A nice little run along the Paseo Trail near home. First 1.2 miles with Hollly (the dog), then dropped her off and the rest solo.
http://www.strava.com/activities/74867481
--funny thing was I felt fantastic running, and almost wished I had gone even further. Heck, even Holly was keeping strong, I almost kept her out longer, but I think she wanted to get back home (she still jumped on me when I walked in the door after I finished)

Friday 8/16: no workouts
was really glad I hadn't run more, woke up with really sore legs
had an early flight up to SLC. about the second I walked into our office there, I was smack in a meeting with our most senior leader for Utah. it was a pretty action packed day, but no working out.
I did pick up a rental bike though...

Saturday 8/17: CYCLING
(yea enough that I put it in caps)
had posted over on bikeforums that I'd be in town, and a local guy said if he was there he'd take me out. it was really nice not having to worry about where I was going, so long as I kept him in my sights

ride #1:
SLC: Emigration 20.56 mi 01:15 16.6mph pace
Picked up my rental from Contender here in SLC last night. Then met up with a guy from bikeforums who showed me some awesome climbing. It was pretty busy on this ride up to the top, hardly anyone went down to the lake tho, everyone just turned around and went down the same. There are a few switchbacks, but nothing too serious.
http://www.strava.com/activities/75444689

ride #2:
SLC: Mill Creek 18.86 mi 01:33 12.2mph pace
We took a little break after Emigration, then drove over to Mill Creek. This really is an evil climb; I think I'd rather do SoMo twice than do this again (but considering I did Usery twice last week, who knows). Between riding earlier, being at higher elevation, and not really eating before riding, I felt it and actually walked for some brief stretches. When I got to the top I asked Jason how long he'd been there, expecting him to say 20 min (he said 2 min). It got cloudy and sprinkled a little toward the top which really helped, plus there's quite a bit of shade from trees here.
http://www.strava.com/activities/75444692

Sunday 8/18: cycling
Contender shop group ride
SLC: Contender shop group ride 48.89 mi 03:00 16.3mph pace
After yesterday's crazy climbing (for me at least), I wanted something more mellow today. The Contender shop ride this morning fit that bill. Was about perfect weather, 70F to start, a little breeze, maybe 80F when we finished. Yea there were a couple of climbs, one that was pretty steep, but everything is easier in a group Unfortunately I head back the oven tonight :/
http://www.strava.com/activities/75667296

Monday 8/19: AM Swim @ Kino (w/Paul coaching)
300 w/u

8 rounds:
--25 scull @ :10 rest
--25 stroke/25 free @ 1:00

10 x 25 kick @ :10 rest
--no board no fins (he was adamant about that), I just did breast kick on my back

6 rounds:
--25 drill @ :10 rest (did IMO)
--75 @ 1:30 w/some stroke (I did them all free/back/breast)

10 x 25 dolphin kick on back @ :10 rest
--fins optional, and I exercised that option

4 x 200 pull @ 3:00, desc 1-4 (went from 2:32 down to around 2:26)

10 x 25 social kick @ :10 rest (I actually was social, used fins + board)

250 w/d

TTL: 3300 yards

after being out of the water for a week, it felt really odd for the first 100 or so after diving in. that and the water was warm, it was just a ho-hum set.

Tuesday 8/20: cycling
Tues AM Spin to Ahwatukee 47.24 mi 02:31 18.8mph pace
Back to the heat... After my weekend adventures, then dinner out to check out an event site last night, I was pretty tired this morning. But riding on mostly flat roads sure is easier after doing some hills Yea there was a little breeze, but it didn't seem too bad. Temps were in the mid 80s :/
http://www.strava.com/activities/76145724
--had a 9am call so I cut my ride a bit short. came back in plenty of time to get my computer booted up, change, a quick swim, and shower.

planning on heading up for the PM swim workout tonight. would be nice to get back on schedule...although I head out of town next week for the annual Europe vacation. planning to swim with the group in London a few times, maybe a Serpentine swim again, a couple of runs (Hyde Park again at least), and maybe add something while in Amsterdam.

after this trip to SLC, I think that if/when we can get a summer place to get away, I'd seriously look up there. yea the AZ high country is nice. but Salt Lake City is a real city, with some fantastic restaurants, and only an hour flight (a bit of a haul for driving though). plus having a cousin there really helps. the mountains around town are just so amazing... the cycling community there is HUGE!

Submit "Blog catchup 0812-08202013" to Digg Submit "Blog catchup 0812-08202013" to del.icio.us Submit "Blog catchup 0812-08202013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Blog catchup 0812-08202013" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Running , Cycling

Comments

There are also good pools in SLC. I agree about the restaurants: next time you're there, try Chanon Thai Cafe.
    Mill Creek Canyon is a tough climb. There are a couple of steep sections, as you discovered. I once passed a Porsche on the way down and got a funny look from the driver. (I was 21 or so at the time.)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    There are also good pools in SLC. I agree about the restaurants: next time you're there, try Chanon Thai Cafe.
    I'll have to remember that one.

My cousin and his wife are both vegan, so I usually just let them pick something, and I can usually find something to eat.
    I don't eat beef or pork, but do eat chicken, turkey, and seafood. I used to think my diet was tough, but comparatively, it is a breeze to deal with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Mill Creek Canyon is a tough climb. There are a couple of steep sections, as you discovered. I once passed a Porsche on the way down and got a funny look from the driver. (I was 21 or so at the time.)
    Haha, yes Mill Creek is a beast. I wouldn't necessarily say any parts were overly steep, it was just that there wasn't really any break at all once you start. Compared with South Mountain here in Phoenix...there's a saddle about 2 miles up, which gives a nice little break, then another mile of grinding, then another mile or so of rollers, before you hit the final stretch of grinding.
    It just felt like I kept grinding and grinding on Mill Creek. When I looked at my HR, well it nearly set me off. I was 170-180 for that whole climb up.

And like you said, on the way down we did pass a few cars. Thankfully I was with that one guy, and we met 2 others at the top. So 4 cyclists riding down together, pretty much gave us a little safety in numbers. The drivers of the cars were pretty good at pulling over to let us pass. Not too many curves so I was able to cruise down around 35 mph.