View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Workout 08/21/13: OW

Rate this Entry
Like many folks, my local pool is shut down through Labor Day for cleaning. Two weeks without convenient swimming. Add to that our two college kids have left, making work a lot more crazy. Today I vegged out a bit, heading over to the college to help with more tiling after lunch. Also had a quick chat with Preston's football coach (we used to coach flag together) - he is happy that Preston is playing and making improvement with practices.

I have scheduled three swims during this time in local lakes to help keep any of the Masters folks in the water a little bit. I decided to check out the venue for tomorrow night, Lake Paren, in North Bennington. It is a nice spot, but was terribly weedy last year. Either they dumped some chemicals in or have ramped up the manual efforts to clean off the bottom; whichever, it was much better! A few bands here and there, but easy to spot from the surface or below in the clear water. As I went from one side of the lake to the other on the eastern edge, the sun was setting brilliantly above the pine and maple trees overlooking the beach - what a blessing!

(0.81 miles in 28:13 - enjoying myself )

Submit "Workout 08/21/13: OW" to Digg Submit "Workout 08/21/13: OW" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout 08/21/13: OW" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout 08/21/13: OW" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Open Water

Comments

Beautiful pic - nice bit of enticement! Looking forward to it...
    it must be nice to do OW for free. We can't do it here around these parts. I can go to the NJ shore but I have to pay for tolls, gas. Man up on your next swim, .81 miles is a little wimpy!
    That looks lovely. We have a lot of water around here but we also have gators (freshwater) and rip currents (the bay and Gulf).
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    That looks lovely. We have a lot of water around here but we also have gators (freshwater) and rip currents (the bay and Gulf).
    Bah!!!...that just makes for stronger swimmers!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Aren't there a couple of rivers in the Philly area that you can jump in? You may have to dodge boats in the Delaware, or who knows what in the Schuylkill, but they're both much closer than the NJ shore. Or if you want a decent lake, go up just past Allentown to Beltsville SP

Looks like a nice lake rxleakem, you'll have to let us know how the group swim goes
    Well, the lake is free when you wait til the guards leave

I am excited that it is much clearer - blog post of tonight's swim to follow (although it is still under a mile).