View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 47 - Saturday

Rate this Entry
I woke ahead of the alarm again this morning and used the extra time to make breakfast and to read the daily online news(British papers). The English Premier League started last week and my team, Arsenal did not have the best of starts. They played Fulham in the early game today so it was good to read the reports with the built upmto the game in the papers; I found out after practice that they won 3-1 which was great and hopefully gets the media off there backs.

Todays practice was a great workout and despite hurting on the main set it was great to work on speed endurance and something I need to continue to work on.

Warm up
4x200 with snorkel on 2.50 swum 100 free, 50 back, 50 free
8x50 kick on 50

Main set
6x(225 free on 2.40 swum 200 strong 25 fast, then 75 fast on 1.30)
100 easy
300 with snorkel
4x50 fly kick with hands at side on 1 min
4x25 fly on 30
100 fly strong but relaxed

Warm down
200 easy

Total 4000scy

The 225s I held 2.23-2.25s and the 75s I went 41-42s. I felt strong throughout this set and focused on staying relaxed on the first 200 of the 225s with long strokes. I had a few turn challenges on these due to being too close to the wall so will need to,work on my positioning when I turn. My underwaters felt good today. The fly was fun and my coach told me he wants me working on this. I typically do one arm fly due to an old injury, and I know it's mainly a mental thing, and can do a good fly, but typically wimp out.

After practice a group of us got together with our coach and discussed the fall and spring schedules with Worlds in mind next summer. We will be picking up the number of organized swims the week after next which will help since public swimming can be a challenge. It still amazes me when people expect there own lane and refuse to circle swim. We also discusse the group signing up for USAS meets this fall with a Taper meet in December or January. We have meets at our pool both months. I would like to do 3 Tapers but the coach prefers 2 next year. We will be following the 3 week modules I did prior to short course Nationals Concluding with a 3 week Taper. I will be signing up for a BB meet in October to get my USAS A times.

When I asked my daughter if she was ok with me swimming in her meets she said she was ok as long as I don't swim in her sessions. I thought this was pretty funny. On one hand she is proud of me but not so proud that she wants her friends to know I am her dad! I have made progress though because the last time I asked she did not hesitate when she said "NO" she did not want me swimming her meets.

Submit "Week 47 - Saturday" to Digg Submit "Week 47 - Saturday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 47 - Saturday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 47 - Saturday" to Google

Updated August 24th, 2013 at 10:44 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Age Group meets are fun to do in later years. My only beef is that I wish that I can get local masters swimming to go with me. In my experience, everyone comes up to you and everyone knows your name and age. they ask, "how are you doing a 2:30 at 35". The age group coaches say, "that is amazing that you are able to complete a 400 IM." I am thinking to myself, "that is what happens when you do the training for it." I will probably get back into age group meets next year since I am sem-back in shape. Overall, age group meets are a good time and a little better with few Masters doing it with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Age Group meets are fun to do in later years. My only beef is that I wish that I can get local masters swimming to go with me. ... Overall, age group meets are a good time and a little better with few Masters doing it with you.
    Tom, Which meets are you thinking about?
    I find USAS meets to be great for racing. If you want a great one in December in Texas, you should try the Gulf Championships which is held at Texas A&M in early December. My daughters' team has gone out the for the last few years and raved about it.

As for swimming USAS, I do recommend it, especially for the great racing experience. I did a number of meets in 2009 to 2011; at the start, when my oldest daughter was 13, she was fine with it. By the end, when she was 15, she had the attitude of your daughter -- just don't show up when I'm swimming. Since one of the logistical advantages for me was to swim myself while I was taking her to meets, this nixed my swimming USAS. So, I'm off them for the time being. I will, possibly, renew my USAS membership in 2014 and just go to meets where she's not swimming if I can squeeze them in.
    USA-S meets are fun, and I do recommend it as well...especially for someone like you that can hang with and beat a lot of the kiddos as well. Where else can you get constant competition in events like the 200 Fly and 400 IM??

I will likely still compete in age group meets, and my coach told me I can still be affiliated with them at meets next year as long as I pay my USA-S fees, and the joining fees for the club team. He was sad to see me step away from the team setting, but he understood my reasoning as to why. I also just found out I was award the Black Group Swimmer of the Month for July as well, which is an honor itself.
    I am looking forward to signing up next week and getting my first meet under my belt. As I have posted previously my insecurity is more about what the parents will say than the kids(including my own).

Not sure about the 200Fly or 400IM(James), but I suspect I will get some really good races in the free and back events.
    When my times get a little better I might think about swimming USAS meets too... I'll have to find some masters swimmers around here who want to do it too. Your times in that main set today were inconceivable to me... don't know if I'll ever be able to hold an interval like that.

6 x thru (225 + 75) is a brutal set; I might do something like that... is that done as hard "over-distance" for the 200s or as a pace-set for the longer events?
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    Your times in that main set today were inconceivable to me... don't know if I'll ever be able to hold an interval like that.
    Keep working like you have and your times will continue to drop. You have made tremendous progress and I suspect you will continue to see significant improvement if you keep working on your drills and keep your endurance workouts going.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    6 x thru (225 + 75) is a brutal set; I might do something like that... is that done as hard "over-distance" for the 200s or as a pace-set for the longer events?
    As you know I swam through this summer without a major meet or rest and as such I feel like I now have a decent base, but need to work on my speed endurance. This type of set is good for last 50-100 of both the 200 and the 500/400. The basic idea of these types of sets is to hold a high tempo for the 200 and then really go for it on the 25 and 75, with little to no rest between the 225 and the 75. The 200 was swum at the top end of my aerobic threshold and then the 25 and 75 was lactic acid bath time.

This was a great set and I am still sore today.
    This type of set is good for last 50-100 of both the 200 and the 500/400. The basic idea of these types of sets is to hold a high tempo for the 200 and then really go for it on the 25 and 75, with little to no rest between the 225 and the 75. The 200 was swum at the top end of my aerobic threshold and then the 25 and 75 was lactic acid bath time.

This was a great set and I am still sore today.
    I thought that would be the case; we used to do workouts like that in track for the middle distance events, and we always called them "over-distance"; I should probably work that into my own routine at some point.