View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Recovery days in the lake...

Rate this Entry
by , August 25th, 2013 at 04:13 PM (349 Views)
My big 5000-yard workout on Friday left me pretty tired, though I have to say that 200 fly doesn't exhaust me as much as it used to now (maybe there's a 500-yard continuous fly in the near future?!). Friday's workout was also the last at the Kenosha YMCA until after the annual maintenance shutdown (Tuesday after Labor Day it re-opens). Scotty and I will head up to the YMCA in Racine County next week for a workout or two, but I'm going to take advantage of the last real week of summer to put in a lot of time in the lake.

Next Saturday I'm planning to head down to DeKalb, IL, and swim the 5K postal with a group that's hosting at an LCM pool there... here's the announcement for anyone in the area who wants to join in:

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...527#post290527

DeKalb is a little under 2 hours from here, so it will be another early morning, but it will be my last chance to get the 5K in... my usual timers have their weekend schedules filled now and there aren't that many LCM pools within easy driving distance... I suppose I could do it at the Pleasant Prairie rec-plex when they have their pool set up for long course on the weekends, but not being a member it will cost me and my timer a little more than I'd like to pay for another indoor swim.

The lake was wonderful this weekend... water temp was baby-bear "just right" in the high 70s. Lots of sun, really beautiful for a swim. Saturday I did the following:

400 EZ
4 x thru
--400 IM, :10-:20 r
--400 recovery, :30-:45 r

TOTAL: 3600 yards/75 minutes

This was a nice challenge for a recovery swim. It was also a good opportunity to work on really stretching out my fly outside the SCY box. It's right at 50 yards between no wake buoys, and it was taking me about 15 strokes on the way out and 17-19?? on the way back. No wall at the other end, or even shallow area to get the advantage of a dive from standing, made turning around to finish the 100 fly really challenging. Plus there was a nice steady roll of small waves coming to shore from the breeze blowing in. All of this is what I consider good mental toughness training. I wasn't pushing the pace, just trying to be steady.

Today's lake swim was a little later (yesterday I swam at 8AM), at about 11:30 or noon, so I kept it short so as not to burn myself to a crisp (temps are getting up to 90s today! I think for the first time all summer!). Water was very cool and inviting though. Here's what I did:

400 EZ fr
200 IM
400 EZ fr
4 x 100 (50 fly + 50 fr recovery)
4 x 100 (50 bk + 50 fr recovery)
200 EZ br

TOTAL: 2000 yards/40-45 minutes

Submit "Recovery days in the lake..." to Digg Submit "Recovery days in the lake..." to del.icio.us Submit "Recovery days in the lake..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Recovery days in the lake..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Have you seen the non-free distance postal event? http://www.swimflyfast.com
    THAT IS FREAKING AWESOME!!! Now I have an excuse to train for long distance fly and back too!
    I had a feeling it would be right up your alley. I will do the distance backstroke but not the fly or breaststroke.