View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Workout 08/26/13: OW

Rate this Entry
I had a busy weekend at work and a quick day today. We interviewed for a second exchange student this afternoon. The boy from South Korea is coming on Sunday, and we might be hosting a girl from Germany as well. There are students with no homes to stay in, and with some extra room we are happy to help.

I headed east this evening, despite the overcast sky and threat of thunderstorms, to meet up with GregJS for a swim at Lake Raponda. Here is the southern edge that greeted us as we drove to the beach to unload:

No one else was adventurous enough to join us, which was too bad since the poor forecast kept all the boats off the 68 degree water. It was kinda strange swimming under total cloud cover, a little darker to the south with slight light trying to break through to the north. The water in this secluded spot is clear and not very deep, offering a great look at the rocks and other fauna below. Greg and I did a large loop totaling just under 1.4 miles in a little less than an hour. I even got to sample one of Greg's lemon-ginger scones before heading home!

I am still ahead of GTD and two miles from 200, so even with the pool closed until next Tuesday, I should be on track to reach my goal of 300 miles for the year. We have one more group swim planned for Saturday morning, and I'm going to try to get in a swim or two myself on my own before then.

Submit "Workout 08/26/13: OW" to Digg Submit "Workout 08/26/13: OW" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout 08/26/13: OW" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout 08/26/13: OW" to Google

Updated August 27th, 2013 at 12:41 AM by rxleakem

Categories
Swim Workouts , Open Water

Comments

I believe the photo roughly captures the area that we covered. It was a nice surprise to see how enjoyable swimming in less than "perfect" conditions can be. The absence of boats was a real treat, too.
    Nice view!
    yeah, great photo... and it is amazing how different a swim can be with overcast vs. sunny skies.