View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Symmetry...

Rate this Entry
by , August 27th, 2013 at 01:12 AM (441 Views)
Pyramids provide that. I love the symmetry of certain workouts... though while I'm doing them I'm not so fond. There was a certain symmetry today also in the fact that my first really hard workout after Madison was a repeat of my last really hard workout before Madison. Taper and reverse taper are now complete. Ready to move into my endurance and base-building phase.

We went to the Racine Y; the new branch out on hwy 20. Nice water park, though I wish they would have used more of the space for lap lanes. As it turns out there weren't hardly any other lap swimmers anyway, so we never had to share a lane. Scotty did a longer warm-up than usual and said he regretted it about half way through our main set. I only did an 800 for warm-up (usually do 1000-1200), but I took a couple of short recovery swims between pyramids. Scotty and I swam all the pyramids together. I'm not too far behind him on fly, though I felt like I was losing a little more ground to him than I have been in the last couple of months. I beat him on almost all the back reps, he wiped the floor with me on breast stroke, and then we were close on the frees, really close on a few reps. Here's what I did:

WU (800): 400 EZ swim (fr and bk); 4 x 100 IM on 2:00 (1:40-1:45)
master's minute

MS (2200):
500 Fly Pyramid*
100 recovery
500 BK pyramid*
100 recovery
500 BR pyramid*
master's minute
500 FR pyramid*

CD (1000): 200 fr, 200 bk (both EZ); 4 x 100 IM on 2:00 (1:45-1:50); 4 x 50 fr on 1:00

TOTAL: 4000 SCY/100 minutes

*The ladders in these sets were 25-50-75-100-100-75-50-25 with the interval set at :45/25... My 100s fly were in the high 1:30s, I was trying to relax as much as possible the first 75 and try to push a little on the last 25. 100s bk were in 1:32 and felt relaxed. 100s br were about 1:50... I was swimming :50 in the 50s, but just couldn't hold form on the 100s. The 100s fr were both in 1:15... an improvement over the last two times we did this workout.

Submit "Symmetry..." to Digg Submit "Symmetry..." to del.icio.us Submit "Symmetry..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Symmetry..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I LOVE ladder sets! My fav is up IM and down free (for a total of 500). It's not so fun the way you do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    I LOVE ladder sets! My fav is up IM and down free (for a total of 500). It's not so fun the way you do it!
    Darn! Why didn't we think of that sooner? But thanks for opening up that ; now every time we get to the top of the ladder, we'll have to talk ourselves into doing the stroke on the way back down again.
    Today I did your pyramid MS, a candidate for the animal lane for sure. I did it at the township pool where there is no pace clock or backstroke flags so I just cruised the swims with whatever rest I felt like between swims, but that's fine with me because I'm just getting back to swimming after a break. (I took 3 weeks vacation with just leisure swimming after my Aug 3-4 focus meet.) I think it is the first time I have done 500 fly straight. I've done as much as 1100 fly in one workout, but never more than 250 straight as far as I can recall. Thanks for posting. I've been really impressed with your improvement over the past year+.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Today I did your pyramid MS, a candidate for the animal lane for sure. I did it at the township pool where there is no pace clock or backstroke flags so I just cruised the swims with whatever rest I felt like between swims, but that's fine with me because I'm just getting back to swimming after a break. (I took 3 weeks vacation with just leisure swimming after my Aug 3-4 focus meet.) I think it is the first time I have done 500 fly straight. I've done as much as 1100 fly in one workout, but never more than 250 straight as far as I can recall. Thanks for posting. I've been really impressed with your improvement over the past year+.
    Hey, thanks for saying so, Karl. I appreciate your comments. I'm looking forward to ramping up the fly and back a little bit more... I think the most fly I've done in one workout was 700-800, but if I'm going to swim a 500 continuous fly I'll probably have to start working on it more... maybe more interval 100s.