View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Saturday, May 2

Rate this Entry
Run + Weights:

Went on a 5 mile trail run today. Didn't feel nearly as bad as earlier in the week!

Hit the gym for a quick workout. Forgot my weight lifting gloves. I'm going to have to stick them in the car or something ...

squats on Hammer machine, 200 x 2 x 15
standing lat pulldown, 130 x 2 x 12
narrow grip seated row, 100 x 2 x 12
alternating hammers, 25 x 2 x 20
external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, both sides
push ups, 4 x 15, 1 x 25
elevated crunches w/10 lb weight held by feet, 4 x 25
back extensions w/20 lb FB, 2 x 25
hip hinges on left leg w/2 10 lb DBs, 2 x 15
prone scapular scrunches w/3 lb hand weights for RC, 2 x 25

(I think I did something else, but I can't remember ...)

Question:

When you're doing body weight exercises like push ups or chin ups, does it make a difference in terms of strength how close together you do your sets? Should they be consecutive ideally? Can you cycle through them with other exercises? Can you do them throughtout the day and still have a strength benefit?

I'm not really loving squatting with weights/barbells on my shoulders. The Smith machine was padded, but it still bothers me when things (like barbells) rest on top of my shoulders and traps ...

Found a picture dictionary of some ab exercises. Pics are good! http://www.ab-core-and-stomach-exerc...exercises.html Really need to get around to purchasing an ab roller.

Submit "Saturday, May 2" to Digg Submit "Saturday, May 2" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday, May 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday, May 2" to Google

Updated May 3rd, 2009 at 11:58 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Running

Comments

That is quite the physiology question.

Short answer tonight (the crowd cheers). You can do them throughout the day and still have a strength benefit. Consecutive, quick reps per set, with sets of the same exercise back to back should elicit the max benefit.

If you want to read more about it, here is an article I read today that touches on it, but several of the referenced works cover it in detail. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/force_development.htm
    Pretty strong on the squats! Pretty strong all the way around!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    That is quite the physiology question.

Short answer tonight (the crowd cheers). You can do them throughout the day and still have a strength benefit. Consecutive, quick reps per set, with sets of the same exercise back to back should elicit the max benefit.

If you want to read more about it, here is an article I read today that touches on it, but several of the referenced works cover it in detail. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/force_development.htm
    Thanks Q. Yes, looks like doing them consecutively with little rest is best. Looks like explosive lifting is good too ...
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Pretty strong on the squats! Pretty strong all the way around!
    Hmmm .... I didn't think that was actually that good on the squats. But then I don't have anything to compare it too.