View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

99 degrees...

Rate this Entry
by , August 27th, 2013 at 05:48 PM (417 Views)
...Can that be right? My thermometer at the house is reading 99. After a summer in which we hardly ever got out of the 70s, here we are with September just about on us and we're flirting with triple digits. It's been an interesting summer in Southeast Wisconsin.

The lake water was still cool, though, which felt great... by cool, I mean probably mid 70s. I can tell when the water temps start creeping into the mid-80s, it doesn't feel comfortable for a hard swim, but today it was very comfortable for the whole workout. Here's what I did:

WU: 400 EZ swim
MS:
24 x 100
--swum as 50 hard/50 recovery
--6 hard 50s on each stroke, recoveries were free
--rests ranged from :05 to :15
--nice hard current to swim straight into for the hard 50s
CD: 200 EZ swim

3000 Yards/60 minutes at Lake Andrea

Submit "99 degrees..." to Digg Submit "99 degrees..." to del.icio.us Submit "99 degrees..." to StumbleUpon Submit "99 degrees..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

How do you measure distance in the lake? Are there cables?
    Our lap-swim area is marked out by 4 no-wake buoys in a rectangle; and it's 50 yards between buoys on the long sides... so it's pretty easy to keep track of distance, especially when you alternate stroke and free 50s, though it's a lot harder to swim in a straight line without the black line at the bottom, or lane separators.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    Our lap-swim area is marked out by 4 no-wake buoys in a rectangle; and it's 50 yards between buoys on the long sides... so it's pretty easy to keep track of distance, especially when you alternate stroke and free 50s, though it's a lot harder to swim in a straight line without the black line at the bottom, or lane separators.
    That's pretty cool and convenient. I don't have access to easy lakes (close enough) to train in, so usually my only OW experience comes at race time. It's gotta help to be able to practice sighting and the stroke variations due to sighting that result from OW swimming vs. pool swimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    That's pretty cool and convenient. I don't have access to easy lakes (close enough) to train in, so usually my only OW experience comes at race time. It's gotta help to be able to practice sighting and the stroke variations due to sighting that result from OW swimming vs. pool swimming.
    It's a big help... really helps me straighten out my stroke with feel, rather than always relying on the visual cue of the line. I sight every 5-7 strokes (e.g, two breaths right, xtra stroke, two breaths left... sight on the second breath left) and don't feel like I miss a beat.