View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 48 - Wednesday

Rate this Entry
I had a late night with work last night not getting home until 10pm. I was supposed to got to California today but had to postpone due to a last minute meeting called by our new CEO. Anyhow, a stressful night led to a rest less sleep which led to a pretty tiring practice. I was not on my game today and I choose a bad day to be off. This was not as long as Monday's workout but these long 1hr 15min workouts kick my butt.

Warm up
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 45
10x100 kick odds free kick with board, evens back kick in streamline on 1.50

Main set
20x100 on 1.10 Odd's free, even's back
6x50 catchup on 45
5x100 IM on 1.25

warm down
200 easy

Total 5000scy

One of our swimmers had fins on and the coach asked him to push me on the kick set. I went 1.23-1.25 on free kick and 1.27-1.30 on the back. I don't know why my back was any slower on this since I ausually pretty consistent with back kick. The main set hurt really bad and I was very tired. I made the first 10 but my back fell off on the second half and had to drop to a 1.15 send off. I was holding 1.03-1.05s on the free. The IMs were fun and I worked on my fly making sure no keyhole with my hands just a straight pull. I think the key hole thing is the route cause of my years of discomfort doing fly and it feels much stronger and generally just better with a straight pull.

Submit "Week 48 - Wednesday" to Digg Submit "Week 48 - Wednesday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 48 - Wednesday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 48 - Wednesday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I think I'd struggle to keep free and back on the same interval, but, even though the 20 x 100s is not super-creative, alternating the free and back at least adds some variety to the mix.

You did much better than me on little rest today.
    I was really fatigued today and it was a struggle to keep pushing to make the intervals on the back, but I am glad I did. We do a few sets every once in a while where its not particularly fun and exciting and this is one of those sets, but thats sort of where we are in the season right now, building a strong aerobic base.

We had a short discussion after practice on Saturday to discuss the goals and meets for next year. I officially signed up for USAS swimming yesterday and I will swim for my daughters team, RACE. After practice on Friday we are going to meet again and go through a high level yearly schedule and discuss the program for World's next summer. I am really excited to get some meets on the calendar, work on some goals and have an awesome year of swimming. I may even throw a couple of training camps into the mix this year(I did one 6 weeks out from spring Nationals and despite it being brutal physically it made a great platform for a 3 week taper).
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I may even throw a couple of training camps into the mix this year(I did one 6 weeks out from spring Nationals and despite it being brutal physically it made a great platform for a 3 week taper).
    Hey, if you've got the time and cash, here's an idea -- http://swimswam.com/berens-evans-gai...asy-swim-camp/. This would be a lot of fun, but, honestly, the price seems a bit steep.

Have you seen or considered the Rowdy Gaines meet in October in Orlando -- http://www.rowdygainesclassic.com/? I went the first year and had the meet of my Masters life (albeit in a full body tech suit). The pool (diving well, hard-walled 25 SCM) is old but very fast. Plus, you get a clinic with Rowdy. On top of that, you can stay at a hotel walking distance away and get a concentrated swimming weekend in. I'm not going this year, but will be back at some point when I'm ready to race and it coincides with my youngest daughter's fall break so I can throw a Disney trip on the backend.
    I have been described as cheap by friends, my wife calls me thrifty; that's a lot of money for 3 days, but it would be fun. My last camp I took a week off work and trained on my own with my coach giving me workouts. I did three sessions each day typically two swims and a dry land weights session. I am thinking I will do something similar. Perhaps one week this fall and another next spring. Thanks for the link.

I looked at the Rowdy Gaines meet and was very tempted since my wife's 92 year old grandmother lives in Lakeland and we can visit her while in the area. It turns out she is coming to Dallas that weekend so the meet is a no go. I am going to sign up for the Woodlands masters meet in Shenandoah and at least three USAS meets. Our team has two A meets this fall and a big meet in January so I have lots of choices, now I am officially an age grouper again(15 and over - most of the kids are 15 and I am definately in the over category). Should be a lot of fun!
    Stewart,

Another awesome meet in December to consider is the Elite Pro-Am in Oklahoma City. The meet is A LOT of fun, there is always a handful of "pros" there (Aaron Piersol was there in the past, last year it was Eugene Goodsoe and Darien Townsend who lit up the pool). It also offers ONE rotating 50 of stroke (or 100 I.M.), this year it is the 50 FL, and also has the "50 FR shootout", which you really have to experience to understand how cool it is (basically top 8 swimmers are split into a "bracket" and swim head to head all through Saturday Finals, whittling it down to the top 2 swimmers). I know some teams from the Dallas area put in appearances, as well as teams from as far away as Mission Viejo. I go every year and even when I don't swim well, I have a blast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Another awesome meet in December to consider is the Elite Pro-Am in Oklahoma City. The meet is A LOT of fun.
    I will definately check it out. When i started Masters i was surprised at how few meets there are in our area. A whole new world of swim meets has opened up to me by signing up for USAS and I am very excited. Thanks.
    So I feel a 100 fly race coming up soon!!! Just tell me when so I can video! I might head to the pool today