View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

No, it's all Patrick's fault...

Rate this Entry
by , August 28th, 2013 at 11:15 PM (299 Views)
He's blaming Jeffrey Archer for keeping him up at night with a page-turner. I have no such excuse for not being able to get to sleep last night, but after tossing and turning until at least midnight (the work stress is starting to creep in big time for the next few weeks), I made the mistake of logging back onto USMS to check blogs and scan the workout threads for some inspiration for today's swim. I noticed Patrick's HVT had a 20 x 100 in there this week and since I haven't done that one in several weeks I thought "sure, I'll work it into tomorrow's practice." I even managed to talk Scotty into it.

It looks like Stewart's coach had the same idea, and he's already blogged his 20 x 100, so now I look like a copy-cat. That's not Stewart's fault... it must be Patrick's. Oh, and thanks for keeping me up after my bedtime too!

Here's what we did:

WU (800):
400 EZ (fr, bk, fr, bk by 100s)
4 x 100 IM on 2:09 (don't ask! probably brought these in in mid 1:40s)

MS1 (2000):
20 x 100 on 1:40 (1:24-1:27s, probably averaged 1:26)

MS2 (400):
8 x 50 on 1:00; 400 IM order (:45, :48, :49, :47, :58, :59?, :46, :44 = 6:37? Yuck!)

CD(400): EZ swim (100 IM, 100 fr, 100 bk, 100 fr)

TOTAL: 3600 SCY/70 minutes

The Racine Y (Mount Pleasant branch) was pretty crazy today, we had to share a lane for the warm-up and I was trying to time my EZ IMs so as not to disrupt other swimmers too much. But then kids were darting in and out of the lanes for a while, even though two of the lanes at least were supposed to be reserved for lap swimming... kind of a mess. An extra lane opened up right before we started into the main set, so didn't have to share a lane for the set, but the arms and flailing legs under the lane lines, and the cannonballs landing three feet away were a tad distracting. It'll be good to get back to Kenosha Y after Labor Day.

I felt pretty good about this 20 x 100--at least I'm not losing fitness--my times were just a second or so off from the last time I did the set, but this time I wasn't wearing a cap... which I feel counts for that extra second, so it's a wash. On the 4IM set, I was very surprised to see the second hand at the :45 mark when I looked up after my first 50 fly... it didn't feel that hard, :45/50 fly usually feels harder. Of course I couldn't follow it up with another :45/50 fly, and I was completely spent by the time I got to the breast reps. Oh well, still a ways to go.

GTD update: I surpassed the 365-mile mark earlier this week. I'm almost at 370 (369.49 to be precise) and still about 5 miles ahead of my goal pace of 550 miles this year. August looks like it will be a 50-mile month!

Submit "No, it's all Patrick's fault..." to Digg Submit "No, it's all Patrick's fault..." to del.icio.us Submit "No, it's all Patrick's fault..." to StumbleUpon Submit "No, it's all Patrick's fault..." to Google

Updated August 28th, 2013 at 11:23 PM by mcnair

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments