View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Aug 27-29

Rate this Entry
Aug 27:

spin, 60 min (couldn't swim bc of iritis)
power wheel roll outs, 2 x 15

Another frustrating day bc Lil Fort's school messed up her schedule and didn't realize she was a GT candidate. Despite having her records and me emailing the school telling them she has been in a GT center since third grade. Not impressed with the school system so far.

Aug 28: Sewickley Masters PM Practice

Warm up:

600 various
8 x (25 shooter + 25 EZ) w/fins
100 scull w/agility paddles

Main Sets:

10 x (25 drill + 25 swim) @ 1:00
4 x 50 kick @ 1:10
4 x 50, 12.5 SDK each length
masters minute
8 x 100 done as: 25 (2/3 UW), open turn + 50 fast + 5 seconds rest + 25 (12.5 UW), used fins
masters minute
8 x (25 sprint + open turn + 25, 12.5 UW)
masters minute
1 x 50 AFAP kick (did flutter kick w/board & fins, went 25-26ish)
150 EZ

Total: 3400

August 29:

Started the day getting collosally lost trying to get home from the North Hills with a bridge closure and dysfunctional GPS (Sadly, I am lacking a sense of direction gener). That was really fun. Didn't have enough time to swim before Lil Fort's first cross country race of the season with her middle school team. She ran a very desulutory race. She's gloomy too. Went for a workout after, but didn't feel like doing much. Have definitely lost my mojo.

Warm up:

600 various
8 x 50
odds = caterpillar fly
evens = front scull
8 x 50 DPS free w/paddles
4 x 25 shooter
8 x (25 shooter + 25 EZ), crashed on the bottom of course
50 EZ

Main set:

8 x burst + cruise
50 EZ
8 x (25 @ 100 pace + 25 EZ)
50 EZ
9 x 50 fly/back/breast w/paddles
50 EZ
4 x 50 torque drill w/paddles
100 EZ

Total: 3750

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can August be over?

Submit "Aug 27-29" to Digg Submit "Aug 27-29" to del.icio.us Submit "Aug 27-29" to StumbleUpon Submit "Aug 27-29" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Spinning

Comments

So sorry for your and Lil Fort's ennui. If it makes you feel any better, I have an awesome sense of direction and got lost every time I went to Pittsburgh when my sister lived there (pre-GPS days).

I still think Mr. Fort owes you a 25 SCM 8'-10' depth indoor lap pool in your backyard. Isn't he a believer in the "Happy Wife=Happy Life" formula?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I still think Mr. Fort owes you a 25 SCM 8'-10' depth indoor lap pool in your backyard. Isn't he a believer in the "Happy Wife=Happy Life" formula?
    agree. Is your yard big enough for a real pool?
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Mine is! But like I could really afford it, right?? I have enough room to put in a 50 yard length of a pool across my backyard, not quite enough for a 50 meter though. My lot is 150 ft. x 160 ft. I'd have 5 feet of deck space on each end, but the installation and upkeep costs with bankrupt me!!
    Moving to another state is a major transition for a family. Perhaps you feel a loss of mojo, but sustaining any kind of swimming and fitness during this time is a win. I am confident that you will eventually figure out ways to successfully have the lifestyle you desire in your new location.

When we moved to Fort Myers, SWF several years ago, it was not until about halfway through the school year that we began feel more adjusted to the area. It just takes time. Getting the house setup and learning the local roads was just a matter of persistence and acclimation, but it was only after getting the school circumstances stabilized for each child, that my wife and I felt we could move ahead with some of our own activities.

As for the GT program for our kids, I opted out of that when we lived in GA, because I felt the way it was implemented was a distraction. Also, we would homeschool our kids in the summers and supplemented some of the academics during the school year. But when we came to Lee County-FL, although the school system was intimidatingly bureaucratic, my daughter's elementary school grouped students in to classes according to academic performance inclusive of the GT program activities, which worked out great, and son was accepted in his high school's IB program, so for both kids the school system offered much more than what they had in Evans-GA.
    You spirits should be lifted a little more once you swim at the Pitt pool a few times. The two times I competed in that pool, I swam like crap but it seems like a great pool to train in. I am still baffled why Philly doesn't have a facility like the Pitt pool.
    Fort, soon you will learn that folks from the South Hills NEVER EVER EVER go to the North HIlls and vice versa. It just isn't done. And GPS does not work here at all. there are way too many byzantine routes from which to choose that navigation systems get overwhelmed.
    The construction here is apocolyptic. It takes me waaaaayy too long to do my normal commute and I rarely have a stretch of road where I don't see orange cones.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    So sorry for your and Lil Fort's ennui. If it makes you feel any better, I have an awesome sense of direction and got lost every time I went to Pittsburgh when my sister lived there (pre-GPS days).

I don't think a pool in the backyard would make me happy. I dislike swimming outdoors. I'm still in shock that there's not a single pool with a single lane greater than 4 feet deep open to the public in the entire city ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Yeah, but it would be kind of an eyesore. And I don't think it would really solve the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Moving to another state is a major transition for a family. Perhaps you feel a loss of mojo, but sustaining any kind of swimming and fitness during this time is a win. I am confident that you will eventually figure out ways to successfully have the lifestyle you desire in your new location.

When we moved to Fort Myers, SWF several years ago, it was not until about halfway through the school year that we began feel more adjusted to the area. It just takes time. Getting the house setup and learning the local roads was just a matter of persistence and acclimation, but it was only after getting the school circumstances stabilized for each child, that my wife and I felt we could move ahead with some of our own activities.

As for the GT program for our kids, I opted out of that when we lived in GA, because I felt the way it was implemented was a distraction. Also, we would homeschool our kids in the summers and supplemented some of the academics during the school year. But when we came to Lee County-FL, although the school system was intimidatingly bureaucratic, my daughter's elementary school grouped students in to classes according to academic performance inclusive of the GT program activities, which worked out great, and son was accepted in his high school's IB program, so for both kids the school system offered much more than what they had in Evans-GA.
    The Fairfax County school system, where we were, was one of the best in the country. I find it a little disappointing that the middle schools here have no established GT program with the exception of giving designated kids harder assignments. But that's fine, she'll adjust. The high school is quite excellent and offers the full panoply of courses. What kind of home schooling do you do in the summer?

A move is a major thing, more than I bargained for. I am definitely mourning my old life with the friends, team, pools, familiar infrastructure, etc. I'm sure it will be better in a few months. When I look at my flog, I see I've been active even if much of the exercise was spinning. It's not a disaster, but I feel a far cry from my previous level of swimming fitness in the spring. And drylands are pretty much kaput at this stage. Our gym is downtown and going there will be a real hassle.
    Updated August 30th, 2013 at 11:05 AM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    You spirits should be lifted a little more once you swim at the Pitt pool a few times. The two times I competed in that pool, I swam like crap but it seems like a great pool to train in. I am still baffled why Philly doesn't have a facility like the Pitt pool.
    Yeah, I'll either coach (waiting on an interview still with the owner) or swim at the masters practices at night and try to do my own thing. It's frustrating it's not open to the public at all, unlike GMU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Fort, soon you will learn that folks from the South Hills NEVER EVER EVER go to the North HIlls and vice versa. It just isn't done. And GPS does not work here at all. there are way too many byzantine routes from which to choose that navigation systems get overwhelmed.
    The construction here is apocolyptic. It takes me waaaaayy too long to do my normal commute and I rarely have a stretch of road where I don't see orange cones.
    Do you work downtown?

I was trying to go to the Stickley liquidation sale in the North Hills. My GPS has always worked great before, but it kept failing when my designated route had a closed tunnel and couldn't reroute me. I've warned Mr. Fort I'm not driving there alone again for awhile. Even the highways are twisty and byzantine and there is no time to mull over which way or which direction to go. At least I know how to get to Sewickley now -- as long as nothing is closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Yeah, I'll either coach (waiting on an interview still with the owner) or swim at the masters practices at night and try to do my own thing. It's frustrating it's not open to the public at all, unlike GMU.
    Just like on the east side of PA. Some college here won't open to the public either. And the pools are barely used. They should let you buy a membership to the facilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Just like on the east side of PA. Some college here won't open to the public either. And the pools are barely used. They should let you buy a membership to the facilities.
    Yeah, my public pools with the pooping kids look pretty sweet right now.