View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 48 - Friday

Rate this Entry
It's been a rough couple of weeks work wise and I have been looking forward to the long weekend. I woke this morning feeling tired. I was in a pretty negative spot mentally before practice but to my surprise felt pretty good in warmup. By the main set I was on fire and had an awesome workout and felt strong throughout. It goes to show sometimes it's all in my head and I just need to swim.

Warmup
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on 45
10x50 on 50 swum 12.5 streamline kick, 12.5 swim, 12.5 streamline kick, 12.5 swim

Main set
10x200 descend 1-4 and #5 at #4 or better pace, and descend 6-9 with #10 at #9 pace on 2.40
4x75 on 4mins AFAP with 200 active recovery between 75s

Warm down
100 easy

Total 4400scy

On the 200s I went 2.05, 2.01, 1.59, 1.57, 1.56, 2.07, 2.02, 1.59, 1.55, 1.55. These did not feel that quick and I had to recheck the time after the first one because I totally cruised a 2.05. After the long week I was not expecting this. After the 4th one I still felt good and new the second round was going to be scary good. An hour later I still can't believe how fast I just went on these 200s. Before the DAM spring meet I struggled with a couple of 200s holding 2.05. The coach was asking me to hold 42s on the 75s and I went 39, 40, 40, 40 which again were incredibly quick based on my previous times on these distances. I am so excited about the progress I have made the past few months.

We were planning on sitting down and discussing the training program for worlds but this was delayed due to a number of the guys going to worlds not being at practice(not a good sign when they don't show for the practice we were going to discuss the program). My coach and I briefly discussed his desire for memnot to do doubles every day going forward. It's interesting being described as an old bottle of fine wine who needs a rest before serving! His point is probably sound which is I now have a good base and don't need to over do the training or get an injury by pushing to hard.

Submit "Week 48 - Friday" to Digg Submit "Week 48 - Friday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 48 - Friday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 48 - Friday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Holy ****, those are cranking fast 200s! I don't think I've ever seen the underside of 2:00 in a workout. Those were from a push??

I agree with your coach on the doubles front. It's probably fine to add in other stuff (e.g., yoga, weights, pilates, cycling, etc.) to tax some different muscles, but I'd focus on having FAST single workouts in the pool before you think about doubles ... unless you're aiming solely for a 1500/1650 event focus.

What are your meet plans for the fall? The Ron Johnson SCM meet at ASU (fast pool, generally great competition) is up -- http://sundevilmasters.com/meets.html. It would be fun to race. The meet is seeded by times and there's almost always a good field in the freestyle events.
    I was thinking the samething as Patrick. I was feeling pretty good about my main set of 200's today, until I read Stewart's. 3X200 on 2:30 and 3x200 on 2:25, followed by 6x150 pull with ankle strap only on 1:55 and 1:50

Then I read this blog. Then I got depressed.

Good job! Those are awesome!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Holy ****, those are cranking fast 200s! I don't think I've ever seen the underside of 2:00 in a workout. Those were from a push??

I agree with your coach on the doubles front. It's probably fine to add in other stuff (e.g., yoga, weights, pilates, cycling, etc.) to tax some different muscles, but I'd focus on having FAST single workouts in the pool before you think about doubles ... unless you're aiming solely for a 1500/1650 event focus.

What are your meet plans for the fall? The Ron Johnson SCM meet at ASU (fast pool, generally great competition) is up -- http://sundevilmasters.com/meets.html. It would be fun to race. The meet is seeded by times and there's almost always a good field in the freestyle events.
    Thanks. I was very happy with both the 200s and the 75s today and shocked myself. They were all from a push.

Despite swimming the 1650 a lot in college it was never my event. I tend to do well upto 1000/800 so need a good base but don't need to train for the mile. With worlds not having a 1500 I plan on training for the 200, 400 and 800. I have not decided whether I am going to do the other free events, the back or the IM to get me to my 5 events. As it currently stands I am likely not going to swim spring nationals' instead focusing on worlds next summer.

Right now I am planning on swimming local races this fall, but it would definately be good to race a few travel meets. Work will likely limit my ability to do much travel for swimming this fall, unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    I was thinking the samething as Patrick. I was feeling pretty good about my main set of 200's today, until I read Stewart's. 3X200 on 2:30 and 3x200 on 2:25, followed by 6x150 pull with ankle strap only on 1:55 and 1:50

Then I read this blog. Then I got depressed.

Good job! Those are awesome!!
    Your swim was great. Like I said in the original post it was one of those days today where I was on fire. I read Kirk Nelson's comment Oma mother blog about wishing you could bottle certain workouts. This was one of those for me. Thanks.