View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

August in review...

Rate this Entry
by , August 30th, 2013 at 02:44 PM (495 Views)
I've just entered into the FLOG my penultimate swim of the month and my bio-data from this morning. I decided to look at my monthly totals, since it is the 30th, to see how it was looking going into tomorrow's postal 5K (what a way to end the month btw!) and do some comparisons with previous months this year.

MILEAGE: I'm at 48.8 miles for August, which means the 5K postal will put me over 50 miles for the first time since January. I've been averaging 45 miles/month since January, mostly 47-48, but some 43-mile "recovery" months in there too.

WEIGHT: Average weight this month: 169 lbs. Last month: 175.xx. Before that, I was almost invariably in the 177-178 range for the whole year. For the last couple of weeks my average weight has been closer to 167-168, which means that September's average promises to be even lower. Thing is, I'm not even trying to lose weight. After more than 6 weeks on a purely vegan diet, and avoiding processed, packaged foods wherever possible, I can eat till I'm full at every meal, snack healthfully, and still see the scale flashing numbers I haven't seen this consistently since my first couple of years in college. Bonus: fruits taste way sweeter; the higher calorie refined sugars are way too sweet for me now, so when I do put sugar in the vegan pancake recipe, or have more than 2-3 vegan chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, it tastes too sweet in the moment, and, more importantly, makes me feel rotten a little while later... so I read my body better, it's not numbed by sugar/high-fructose corn syrup addiction, i.e., in constant need of the next high.

RESTING HEART RATE: average for August was 43.9. Every month before that was averaging 47-48. A difference of 3-4 beats might not seem significant on a daily basis, but for a month-long average I think this is an important indicator. I think it means that my heart is having to work less hard when I'm at rest and that I'm going to recover better as result. I hope it means that my arteries are regaining elasticity and that my blood cholesterol is on the decline.

I've done 3600 yards over the last two days in the lake; 1800 each day. A little bit of recovery from the hard swimming earlier this week. Yesterday I did 500 fr, 500 bk and then a mix of all 4 strokes for the final 800. Today I did 200 fr relaxed followed by 100 bk and 100 br, and repeated that 2+1+1 pattern three more times; finished with an ez 200 fr. Lake water temp was perfect both days; and early mornings out there have been glorious!

Submit "August in review..." to Digg Submit "August in review..." to del.icio.us Submit "August in review..." to StumbleUpon Submit "August in review..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Goo luck with the 5k postal - interested to hear how you make out vs last year