View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

2013 5K postal attempt...

Rate this Entry
by , August 31st, 2013 at 02:18 PM (691 Views)
Do they have a 3.1-mile postal swim?

We had to stop early because of thunderstorms... darn, with only 1900 to go!

After a sluggish start I was feeling really good too. I made the drive over to DeKalb, IL, the Hopkins Park Pool, set up for LCM. There were 5 of us swimming the 5k postal and it was a super nice group: Dirk, who organized it, and some of his teammates, Keith and another Alex, along with Debbie from Rockford, IL. What was nice about this group... aside from the congenial conversation while huddled together under a tarp in a torrential rainfall (in Texas we would have called it a "real gully-washer"), we were all pretty evenly paced, I don't think anyone was more than a half length behind anyone else when we were pulled out of the water. Last year I did the 5K solo, so it felt good to have company.

I didn't warm up beforehand and determined to use the first 500-1000 as a slow building warm-up, but by the time I got to 1500 I felt like I was really cruising. I loosened up, stretched out my stroke and found a nice rhythm. When we were stopped I was at 3100 meters. My 3000-meter split was 55:12, which I just did some number cranking on and find that this is an average 18:24 per K pace... way faster than my 19:30+/k average last summer. Last summer my 100 pace was 1:57-1:58, this year 1:50.5. And again, I might have actually been swimming a little bit faster pace as I loosened up in the second and third kilometers (I'll find out when they e-mail me the splits). I'm pretty sure I was on pace for something like a 1 hour, 30-31 minute 5K, which would have crushed last year's 1:37:40. Here was my wrap-up after that 2012 5K:

http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?238...Postal-results

I've made a lot of progress in the 13 months between these two 5K postal attempts... just sorry we didn't get to finish it out this year. We had a good time nonetheless, and I really thought I wouldn't even have a chance at another attempt this season with lack of LCM pools available in the immediate area, so this was just a bonus swim for me! And I'm feeling so much more confident this year than last... a long way to go yet, but happy with the progress.

Submit "2013 5K postal attempt..." to Digg Submit "2013 5K postal attempt..." to del.icio.us Submit "2013 5K postal attempt..." to StumbleUpon Submit "2013 5K postal attempt..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

What a shame that the weather played havoc on your timed swim. That said, your progress is amazing and something to take great pride in. I also think you should somehow remind yourself on those dark mornings in December and January that your hard work will have even bigger dividends next summer. Great summer of swimming my friend. Well done.
    Boo. Sad to see a good swim go to waste. No chance to try it again before the deadline?
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Boo. Sad to see a good swim go to waste. No chance to try it again before the deadline?
    Probably not; this time of year is super busy for me and the next couple of weekends before the deadline are packed. Things clear up a little toward the end of September, so I'll probably just hold off and do the 6000-yard postal then. Slim chance I could do it next weekend, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    What a shame that the weather played havoc on your timed swim. That said, your progress is amazing and something to take great pride in. I also think you should somehow remind yourself on those dark mornings in December and January that your hard work will have even bigger dividends next summer. Great summer of swimming my friend. Well done.
    Thanks! I'm actually looking forward to those dark mornings and evenings in December from a swimming standpoint (don't get me wrong, I would love an endless summer!). Because short course meets start back up and I'll be able to gauge my progress in 400 IM, 200 back, etc (maybe even 200 fly) in a meet context... having that meet every month or so, and events to train for, really energized me last winter.
    Too bad you couldn't get in the full swim, but you still did get a good swim in, and it shows that your swimming is getting better all the time. Congrats.