View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Workout 08/31/13: OW

Rate this Entry
As summer begins to set, new adventures await for the remainder of year with school starting up, OW season winding down, and the Rec reopening on Tuesday! To that point, I was able to sit in on my first class at the Bible college on Thursday, although I missed the first bit due to work (this is why I am auditing the course). That same night, our exchange student from Germany, Lina, arrived later in the evening (with thanks to my friend Ed for picking her up). She is getting used to her new home and family for the year (we all went to the Schaghticoke Fair today, the 3rd oldest in NY state).

This morning I headed up to the third and final OW lake swim that I organized with the Masters group while the pool has been shut down. Today I picked Adams Reservoir due to its close proximity to town and lack of motorized boats. Over the course of week many folks emailed to say that they might not be able to make it, and it turns out that only Brent joined me, after he ran around the lake twice! Here is the picture I snapped before we splashed:

I had a feeling that the water would be cool, and under overcast skies the temperature checked in at a warm 67 degrees. The water is clear, but has a reddish tint that is evident when you watch your fingers sweep under your body. It is not terribly long (just shy of a quarter mile) and has an easily defined edge crowded with pine, birch, maple, and other trees. Only three lone kayakers where on the water with us, and I was thinking that this would be a great place for a cable! We went out and back on the western edge from the beach, then headed toward the east edge and checked out a shallow, rocky area about 2/3 of the way down. Total of 0.9 miles in 28 minutes (did I mention before that Brent doesn't like cold water ).

Refreshing and a beautiful area for a cool swim, so I will be sure to get back as I look for more cold swims to feel out where my "it's too darn cold to keep doing this" point is. Off to get the South Korean boy tomorrow evening, then to enjoy another week of staycation as the kids head back to school on Tuesday.

Submit "Workout 08/31/13: OW" to Digg Submit "Workout 08/31/13: OW" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout 08/31/13: OW" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout 08/31/13: OW" to Google

Updated August 31st, 2013 at 11:31 PM by rxleakem

Categories
Swim Workouts , Open Water

Comments

I've seen that red "tint" as you called it on a couple of lakes in Northern Wisconsin; I wondered if it was soil or vegetation that was causing it. Interesting anyway, nice photo.
    There are a few other lakes that have this characteristic in our area, too. For those unfamiliar with it, it hasn't stained my skin or suit and it kinda neat to see. I think it is plant matter breaking down, or perhaps some of the rocks/soil around the lake. http://www.umaine.edu/WaterResearch/...uide/color.htm
    "Cedar Water" (red tinted water) is very common in streams and lakes in the NJ Pine Barrens where I swim. It forms from a combination of highly acidic soils and high iron content. Cedars like these soil conditions but don't really contribute to the color of the water. The iron will add red staining to just about anything white. The coloration can also result from tannins released by the decay of some leaves (oaks, etc.) in the lake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    "Cedar Water" (red tinted water) is very common in streams and lakes in the NJ Pine Barrens where I swim. It forms from a combination of highly acidic soils and high iron content. Cedars like these soil conditions but don't really contribute to the color of the water. The iron will add red staining to just about anything white. The coloration can also result from tannins released by the decay of some leaves (oaks, etc.) in the lake.
    One of the lakes I was on had the red tint one year, but not the next... probably because it was a slightly different time of year and there were less leaves in the water... I remember at the time it made me wonder. Lake water levels were very different too. But this was a very piney area... which looks like it could also describe Mike's venue as well.