View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Diamond Lake swim

Rate this Entry
by , September 1st, 2013 at 12:21 PM (579 Views)
The first in what might become many in this pirate swim series (we certainly won't run out of lakes in Lake county, IL or Kenosha county, WI any time soon)!

Here was the scene from the parking lot where we started:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo09010812.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	7921

A nice little mist was starting to roll in as we finished. Mike and I had a good swim... nice comfortable pace, the water was nearly perfect. Not a lot of boat traffic, though we did see a waterskier as we were standing in the parking lot after the swim. I just plugged the route into Geodistance and it came up as a roundtrip of .733 miles, so about 3/4 of a mile. We could have taken a more southerly route but there were some fishermen in boats to the south and the inlet I thought we might want to aim for had more boat traffic than our stretch swimming out just north of the park. Here's a shot I took from the boat ramp right after arriving, you can see how inviting it is with the sun just rising behind me:

Name:	Diamond lk.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	7922

The route on Geodistance is marked out here in the satellite image...

Name:	Diamond lake route.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	7923

It was good fun; a nice relaxing Sunday morning swim. Tomorrow maybe we'll hit Grays Lake since it is a holiday... 7AM was a great time to start. I texted Scotty (my usual training bud from Kenosha Y) to see if he wanted to do it and he said I was nuts (to which I responded "I am what I eat!"). I'll get him out into the open water one of these days!

Submit "Diamond Lake swim" to Digg Submit "Diamond Lake swim" to del.icio.us Submit "Diamond Lake swim" to StumbleUpon Submit "Diamond Lake swim" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That looks like a great swim! It was fun watching it materialize over in the forums. Safety is tops, so good scouting during the swim.
    Thanks; it WAS lots of fun and I'm just to blog our swim from this morning...