View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Grays Lake swim

Rate this Entry
by , September 2nd, 2013 at 11:55 AM (471 Views)
So three of us met this morning on Jones Island Park and did the second pirate swim. This time diagonally across and down the length of Grays Lake in Lake county, IL. The route measures .531 miles on Geodistance, so a 1.062 mile round trip trek. Here's the screen shot of the route from geodistance.com:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grays Lake route.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	7928

We met again at 7AM; Dirk drove all the way in from about an hour west of Chicago area. Mike and I followed his navigation on the water, which was spot on. Mike used a medium size ISHOF swim buoy and Dirk let me try out his large-sized one. These things are great... nice visibility and I didn't even feel like it was there most of the time. I liked not having to wear a brightly colored cap on the swim as a result of being able to tow the buoy. In the middle of the lake I rolled over on my back to de-fog my goggles and the buoy was right there; I went vertical for a moment to see if it would hold my weight and it did quite nicely.

Grays Lake was beautiful. Water was just about perfect in terms of temperature, and it was calm and still for us... swimming on a mirror practically. It was only really weedy for about 25-50 yards on the Jones Island side; the other side had a very mushy bottom, but not much in terms of weeds, so that was nice. Another nice feature of this lake was the lack of motorized boating. there were a few kayakers out and about, but that was it.

Here's a picture of the park from across the road at the parking lot where we met:

Name:	Grays lk.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	7929

Here's a view of the lake looking across from our starting point, notice the gorgeous weather we're having (where was that on Saturday AM when we were doing the 5K postal?! ):

Name:	Grays lk 2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	7930

It sounds like Mike and I both did doubles yesterday... since we managed to get an additional workout in after our morning swim... his team practiced Sunday evening and I went back out to Lake Andrea, met Scotty, and did about 1500 in the lap swim area (included about 350 in fly)... Scotty and I are looking forward to having the Kenosha YMCA open again on Tuesday. For now... a rest. It's been a great Labor Day weekend of swimming.

Thanks also to Dirk for bringing me a copy of the split sheet from the 5K postal attempt. Looks like my first 1000, even as creaky as it felt, still came in at 18:19. The next 1000 was 18:13, then the 3rd K was 18:40 (guess I was subconsciously relaxing right before the final 2K push). I'm very pleased with this swim. Thanks to Dirk and his great lifeguards and timers... next year, fingers crossed, we'll make the full 5K.

Next weekend: maybe another lake swim, we'll see. Mike is going to do a little reconnaissance for us. It's fun swimming with these guys!

Submit "Grays Lake swim" to Digg Submit "Grays Lake swim" to del.icio.us Submit "Grays Lake swim" to StumbleUpon Submit "Grays Lake swim" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments