View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Aug 31-Sept 2

Rate this Entry
by , September 2nd, 2013 at 08:40 PM (624 Views)
Saturday:

spin, 90 min

Sunday:

off
-- Had dinner with friends in the North Hills and I carefully studied the way home. Apparently, I need to always head toward the Ft. Pitt bridge.

Monday:

Swim/SCY/Solo @ Sewickley Y:

Warm up:

600 various
4 x 50 scull w/agility paddles
8 x 25 shooters w/fins
50 EZ

Main Sets:

8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
150 EZ

3 x through w/fins:
50 fly @ 100 pace @ 1:00
50 EZ @ 1:00
50 back @ 100 pace @ 1:00
50 EZ @ 1:00
50 breast @ 100 pace @ 1:00
50 EZ @ 1:00
50 free @ 100 pace @ 1:00
50 EZ @ 1:00
50 EZ @ 1:00 (between each round)

50 EZ

kick ultra set:
20 x (15 AFAP + 10 cruise) @ :30
-- with board & fins
100 EZ

8 x 50 DPS free w/agility paddles @ 1:00
50 EZ

Total: 3850


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Got in a swim over the long weekend, and it wasn't too bad a one. I couldn't tell if the air quality was poor or I am just out of shape. But my lungs were burning. Hoping to meet up with Jimby tomorrow. Wed night is my first night coaching Team Pitt. I will become expert at writing middle distance stroke workouts. I will probably stay and swim there that night. I am so very much looking forward to not crashing on the bottom of the pool or looking for ledges (Sewickley's bottom goes abruptly from 12 feet deep to 5 feet deep and I always worry about crashing into it off the wall).

First day of school for Lil Fort tomorrow. She has been dreading it. Unlike Teen Fort, she is not a natural extrovert. Teen Fort is doing well in Cali. She had a great time on her beach camping freshman trip at Point Mugu and is about to embark on her college career (majoring in biochem) tomorrow.

Submit "Aug 31-Sept 2" to Digg Submit "Aug 31-Sept 2" to del.icio.us Submit "Aug 31-Sept 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "Aug 31-Sept 2" to Google

Updated September 3rd, 2013 at 05:23 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Spinning

Comments

  1. thewookiee's Avatar
    Saw some facebook photos of Jim. I think you need to have him get into a dryland routine. If he gets a bit of lipo, he might be able to handle the 85-89 age group right now.
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Saw some facebook photos of Jim. I think you need to have him get into a dryland routine. If he gets a bit of lipo, he might be able to handle the 85-89 age group right now.
    I think he and Bill were purposefully sticking out their tummies. And the point was they beat those younger buff guys in the 2 x 5K race. However, I have said some drylands might be in order!
  3. Iwannafly's Avatar
    I say that if Jim can swim fast with that belly, he should grow it - perhaps it would make him faster? :-)

    Fort, this workout looks possible for me, especially with fins. The only pair of fins I have are long-ish (not those little zoomers). While I am not very adept at either backstroke or fly, I can swim them with ease while wearing fins. My point is that I should be able to swim significantly faster with my fins than I could an all-out 100. Can you tell me what my goal should be while doing the 50s with fins?
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwannafly
    I say that if Jim can swim fast with that belly, he should grow it - perhaps it would make him faster? :-)

    Fort, this workout looks possible for me, especially with fins. The only pair of fins I have are long-ish (not those little zoomers). While I am not very adept at either backstroke or fly, I can swim them with ease while wearing fins. My point is that I should be able to swim significantly faster with my fins than I could an all-out 100. Can you tell me what my goal should be while doing the 50s with fins?
    Long fins good! If you are adept with the fins (can stay UW etc), I think your fin time for an AFAP 50 should be approx 5-6 seconds faster than your non-fin AFAP time.
  5. Iwannafly's Avatar
    Thanks. One more question: What do I do on the breaststroke? Fins or no?

    I found out at the weekend that I can dolphin kick 25 m underwater with my fins on. But after the second one, my legs were shot! :-)
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwannafly
    Thanks. One more question: What do I do on the breaststroke? Fins or no?

    I found out at the weekend that I can dolphin kick 25 m underwater with my fins on. But after the second one, my legs were shot! :-)
    I just do breast with a dolphin kick when using fins. That's how I swim most of my breaststroke.

    One is easy, but you have to work up to multiples. Use an interval that will give you plenty of rest.